Tunnels and anti-lag

DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
Can Gorge Tunnels have the same anti-lag that was given to Phase gates? It sucks when you pop out of a tunnel and have already lost a lot of hp before you can even see what's going on.

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    i know the exact feeling it takes like over an entire second to render the room you pop out in, then all the marines and other entitys so by the time u see anything you are already dead :D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If I ever exit a tunnel with marines around, I make sure I exit jumping and biting like a mofo, and look for cover asap.

However it'd be nice to not have to :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I'd rather see entering as bothersom. Ohh how many times did my Gorge die right inside the tunnel, because I was shot standing on the entrance like a practice target.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    OR when i press my skulk face against the butthole exit for 6 seconds before it finally lets me pass through its bowels into the world as tunnel feces.
    The same can be said when waiting to be sucked into the butthole as well. Poor gorgies don't stand a chance. :(
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It seems to me that the big issue is the game just not loading what's at the other end of the tunnel... until you're THERE! Why not make the game START loading the necessary data while you're in the tunnel? Same goes with phasegates: when you're standing near a phase gate, just have it also load what's at the other end of the phasegate.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    It seems to me that the big issue is the game just not loading what's at the other end of the tunnel... until you're THERE! Why not make the game START loading the necessary data while you're in the tunnel? Same goes with phasegates: when you're standing near a phase gate, just have it also load what's at the other end of the phasegate.

I agree on the tunnels. The phasegates... would need testing. I wouldn't want to experience lag everytime I run past a pg.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    One issue that is pretty disorienting too, is that when you go out of the tunnel, you do not face the direction you should face, the game change your view AFTER you are out of the tunnel.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

My PC is equipped with a SSD. It doesn't change anything. There is still a lag when you exit a tunnel, somehow.

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow

My PC is equipped with a SSD. It doesn't change anything. There is still a lag when you exit a tunnel, somehow.

Lag compensation.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Solution: add initial velocity to any objects leaving said butthole. Sitting duck becomes a flying turd of doom.
    This. So. Much. Win.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I'd rather see entering as bothersom. Ohh how many times did my Gorge die right inside the tunnel, because I was shot standing on the entrance like a practice target.

I wonder if it would be feasible to initiate entrance to the tunnel by looking at it rather than waiting.

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Saltlick wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be feasible to initiate entrance to the tunnel by looking at it rather than waiting.
    That's what she said.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

I think it's more to do with how the network traffic is handled, not anything being loaded client side. That's just a guess though, I'm not a programmer.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is still the entrance lag for a second or two + sucking animation :D
    Which makes sense, if you're just passing over the tunnel and don't wan't to get in. That could be solved, if you could press "E" to get in immediately. (And destroy tunnel with "G" or something).
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    There is still the entrance lag for a second or two + sucking animation :D
    Which makes sense, if you're just passing over the tunnel and don't wan't to get in. That could be solved, if you could press "E" to get in immediately. (And destroy tunnel with "G" or something).

I think they meant looking down into the tunnel, not just looking it its general direction.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I had to install an application called 'so and so's sphincter analyzer' at work the other day.

I just had to share that with you.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had to install an application called 'so and so's sphincter analyzer' at work the other day.

I just had to share that with you.

Thank you so much for sharing.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    This thread...
    What, just because the discussion switched from fixing network issues to body orifices? Normal flow of conversation, I'd say.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I had suggested pre-loading the level assets of a tunnel/gate endpoint as you approach the exit, but that post went ignored I believe. (Some time ago too, early 2012ish?)
    The occlusion culling map is there to be called ahead of time. The game could even dynamically approximate your system's data transfer time, and pre-load the exit assets within a certain area of proximity to a tunnel/gate exit. This can all be done. Of course, the amount of work required to make such an addition/change is based purely on the current structure.

Though, as always, there are more important things that would reap larger player base-building benefits, but I think you have to play the game to understand the value of such things, and since our dev team has been in a work rush for the entirety of development, they simply have not developed an understanding of the game the upper 50% of the player base has.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

Lag compensation.

i wouldn't say that. It look like a "sync" with server telling my client where everything is.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    They already do...when do you think phasing to same gate happened? When phase gates because a predicted action.