NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    not to complain, but while faster they seem far less acurate.
    Its a tradeoff no doubt, but on a personal note id like to not hit solid air because the hitbox was simplified.

Or perhaps I misunderstood?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited March 2014
    not to complain, but while faster they seem far less acurate.
    Its a tradeoff no doubt, but on a personal note id like to not hit solid air because the hitbox was simplified.

Or perhaps I misunderstood?

First image (accurate) is new, second image is old. You're looking at them in the wrong order.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    In that case I will join the others in amazement.
    /gasp
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    The coordinates for one of the props vary between the snow and non-snow version (lol?), so I'm pushing another fix to solve this (some props were misplaced in Summit).
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Mendasp wrote: »
    The coordinates for one of the props vary between the snow and non-snow version (lol?), so I'm pushing another fix to solve this (some props were misplaced in Summit).

Any chances we get that stuff merged into vanilla ?
    edited March 2014

Any chances we get that stuff merged into vanilla ?
    I asked around, but I didn't get a definite answer, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it into vanilla.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • amsams Join Date: 2014-03-27 Member: 194987Members
    Any chance of being able to remove gun models? I hate gun models. If not has a reason already been established?

Also is there any chance at a more minimalist hud? One where everything (including t-res, p-res, commander name, etc.) was removed and all that you would be able to see would be the map, maybe just numbers for health and armor (hp/armor). I like to be able to see as much of my screen as possible and there has always been mods in the past to achieve this in the games i have played previously. Perhaps this is a preference that only I would like but maybe not.
    edited March 2014
    ams wrote: »
    Any chance of being able to remove gun models? I hate gun models. If not has a reason already been established?

Also is there any chance at a more minimalist hud? One where everything (including t-res, p-res, commander name, etc.) was removed and all that you would be able to see would be the map, maybe just numbers for health and armor (hp/armor). I like to be able to see as much of my screen as possible and there has always been mods in the past to achieve this in the games i have played previously. Perhaps this is a preference that only I would like but maybe not.

I've been asked about the viewmodels before, I haven't been able to look at it in any case but it doesn't look straightforward considering the shooting is controlled by the model itself instead of that stuff being code based like in classic shooters, so you can't simply destroy the model or use a blank one.

As for the other thing, the only thing needed is for me to make the show commander option work regardless of the minimap option, because it seems you want to do the opposite of what I have (hide comm name, show map). And also hide the tres, the rest you can already do. I can add this, in fact I was already planning on the first part.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    Would it be possible to have t8he volume of the constructed power node reduced? Its incredibly loud and lasts a long time.

Also, the lerk wooshing sound that only the lerk can hear can die.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    viewmodels yayyyyy! can't wait.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I strongly disagree with making view models a toggle. The mod so far mostly concentrates on quality of life improvements, and is reminiscent of the old NS1 competitive mods you could download. Being able to toggle your view model is going over the line of reasonable cosmetic and game play changes.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Mendasp, do you have a donate button? I want to throw dollar bills at you.
    aeroripper wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with making view models a toggle. The mod so far mostly concentrates on quality of life improvements, and is reminiscent of the old NS1 competitive mods you could download. Being able to toggle your view model is going over the line of reasonable cosmetic and game play changes.
    I never said I was going to do it because I don't know if it's possible (without significant effort at least), but I'm certainly aware this is a controversial topic.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014

I've been asked about the viewmodels before, I haven't been able to look at it in any case but it doesn't look straightforward considering the shooting is controlled by the model itself instead of that stuff being code based like in classic shooters, so you can't simply destroy the model or use a blank one.

As for the other thing, the only thing needed is for me to make the show commander option work regardless of the minimap option, because it seems you want to do the opposite of what I have (hide comm name, show map). And also hide the tres, the rest you can already do. I can add this, in fact I was already planning on the first part.

There's a mod out there that already does this, could you look at it or even contact the creator? I have no idea how workshop mods work in this game, whether or not you can see the source.
    http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/921245836547492771/FA22CC513FEB54CDC97D2D0201BB7D59C9AF900B/
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108114415
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    "Updated: Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:35pm" turts pls

EDIT: I take that back. I just tested it out, and it works. Joined a 20 person combat server. INVISIBLE GUNZ
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Gibs wrote: »
    "Updated: Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:35pm" turts pls

EDIT: I take that back. I just tested it out, and it works. Joined a 20 person combat server. INVISIBLE GUNZ

yup, i've been using this since I started playing the game. he has another one uploaded that makes alien weapons (jaw/tongue/ect) invisible as well.
  • amsams Join Date: 2014-03-27 Member: 194987Members
    thanks for the hard work medasp. That mod that you turts supplied, is that legal for competive play? I dont want to be accidentally cheating or anything. If it is that is great. In a lot of the other games I have played competitively it was always an option to toggle it off. Some used it and a lot of others didnt. I didnt know this was such a controversial issue. Why is it so controversial? It really seems to me that it is just a preference thing similar to the other modifications. Is it because it wasnt in ns1 because that doesnt really seem like a good reason.
    thanks for the hard work medasp. That mod that you turts supplied, is that legal for competive play? I dont want to be accidentally cheating or anything. If it is that is great. In a lot of the other games I have played competitively it was always an option to toggle it off. Some used it and a lot of others didnt. I didnt know this was such a controversial issue. Why is it so controversial? It really seems to me that it is just a preference thing similar to the other modifications. Is it because it wasnt in ns1 because that doesnt really seem like a good reason.

it was a toggle option in earlier ns1 builds, but then it was forced on. didn't stop people from using a memory editor and forcing them off, though.
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Fantastic work with this mod so far, Mendasp! It really does make a massive difference in nearly every part of the game.

A server that I tend to play on is looking to run the mod, but the admin has a few (understandable) concerns, mostly in line with feature creep beyond the scope of interface adjustments. Is there a way for server operators to toggle the availability of certain features? Specifically, at the moment he is only concerned about the printing of accuracy stats (both full round and life) to the console.

Being able to disable only that and controversial features like the possible invisible viewmodels would be a huge aid. I genuinely have no opinion for or against them, but they are undoubtedly controversial-- especially in a public server setting where there would be daily debates on its fairness.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Retraced wrote: »
    Fantastic work with this mod so far, Mendasp! It really does make a massive difference in nearly every part of the game.

A server that I tend to play on is looking to run the mod, but the admin has a few (understandable) concerns, mostly in line with feature creep beyond the scope of interface adjustments. Is there a way for server operators to toggle the availability of certain features? Specifically, at the moment he is only concerned about the printing of accuracy stats (both full round and life) to the console.

Being able to disable only that and controversial features like the possible invisible viewmodels would be a huge aid. I genuinely have no opinion for or against them, but they are undoubtedly controversial-- especially in a public server setting where there would be daily debates on its fairness.

Who is telling that invisible viewmodels would become a part of CHUD ? I think mendasp knows enought that this is a no go for CHUD so far.

Why he is concerned about the ACC stats those are only printed at the client ( nothing really to do with the server )?
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014

Who is telling that invisible viewmodels would become a part of CHUD ? I think mendasp knows enought that this is a no go for CHUD so far.

Why he is concerned about the ACC stats those are only printed at the client ( nothing really to do with the server )?

There was a good deal of conversation going on about it above. Considering the thread the discussion was in I thought it was a logical conclusion to make (I wasn't the only one to do so).

That said, I certainly don't intend to put any words in Mendasp or anyone else's mouth OR suggest that I/we should dictate or constrain where he takes the mod. I was only requesting and wondering if it was already possible to disable certain aspects of CHUD server wide, for those more interested in running it for the basic QoL interface improvements. No need to have such an option for every single menu option of course, but IF invisible guns, etc. were to make their way into CHUD it would be nice if server operators were able to enable/disable their availability.

Regarding ACC stats, I'm unfortunately the proverbial messenger in that way, since I personally like having it. He likely is opposed to it for reasons similar to the ones for not enabling ns2stats on the server. The merit of that decision is probably not very relevant to this discussion though.
    edited March 2014
    @Retraced I can see why ppl refuses to use ns2stats (btw alot stuff from the ns2stats plugin pack can be used without ns2stats like killstreaks, flag badges, norookies etc. ).

BUT the CHUD Acc tracking is done by the client itself, it don't use any kind of webserver or something like this.

PPL who don't like to see their acc tracking should just not open their console :D. No real need to do so anyway if you use the shine chatbox for normal users ;)
    edited March 2014
    So let's get things clear. I don't want to deal with drama revolving features or anything, so invisible models is a no-go.

There are no options in CHUD for server operators at the moment. Not sure what the concern with the CHUD stats are, since there is no farming to be done, or ELO, or show-off or anything, considering only the client sees its own stats and they don't get stored or sent anywhere, it's just a nice thing to have. The moment the stats expand into anything similar to NS2Stats (like end-round awards or whatever) I will let server operators toggle it.

I do plan on expanding the stats, but for now I don't think there's any reason for concern about them.

Things I do want to add that are in no way controversial:
    - Hitsounds.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @Mendasp : I run a server, and I'd like the server options. I'll not burden you with the minutia of why -- unless you really want to know (see below). Some of my option /values/ would be specific to my server and my community, but the desire for options in general might be shared by server operators carefully designing the experience they offer their players. As a developer myself, it's common I don't have all of the information about folks' motivations to accurately forecast what is and isn't -- to them -- helpful/problematic.

Regarding the client console reporting, specifically: I've long run on my server an administrative mod that uses the client console to show /other/ information at the end of the game, and that's a lot of text CHUD is now showing.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    For a single server operator to have undue influence into how CHUD should behave generally is arguably folly.

For a single server operator to choose how CHUD behaves on his specific server is arguably understandable.

I know first-hand how technically challenging it can be to add more options to software. I respect that options increase experience complexity, which can sometimes threaten adoption. And I understand that players might dislike the idea of CHUD's experience differing from server to server in ways they don't control.
    edited March 2014
    Right, that makes sense. As you said, I can only guess, from my own experience, as to why such a feature would be requested. I actually want to move that from console to a proper UI, though, which I think is the proper solution. And have a "last match statistics" tab on the CHUD options menu. So that problem will go away soon-ish.

I'd rather make all the options work in all servers, since if I allow server operators to disable a number of features, players will be confused as to what to expect when joining a server running the mod. I'd like the mod to be as consistent possible across servers, that's why I try to be careful with the stuff I add. Not that I will never add server options, for some things it could be necessary.

I am in contact with a couple of server OPs, I added a good chunk of options because of this, which has made the mod grow. I am open to feedback/suggestions.

Edit: Haha, I edited this about a billion times and I just noticed your second post.

I'm also considering a name change, since it's not just all HUD at this point, perhaps a simple "CHUD" should do it :D
    Regarding confusion: Why not multiple feature-scoped mods with offerings more aligned with what their titles imply?

I'm guessing it's due to Steam Workshop fragility? But maybe I'm wrong...