Gibs' Gorge Hut - Consider it Home.

GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
As many of you know, my server has been home for competitive and casual players alike. I would like to write this post simply as a friendly reminder that my doors are open to the beautiful faces of the NS2 community. However, it should be noted that I definitely do not care about player skill. Whether you wipe the floor with your Fade, or just shoot every lifeform down with your Shotgun, you are always welcome on my server. I realize that by doing this, I am opening my server up to house a very high skill level. Allow me to please explain something.

If you are one of those players who is not capable of handling a situation where a person on the internet is better than you at a video game, and you cannot be bothered to identify your own flaws that are causing the player to have such an advantage over you, then please continue to spend your days in the realms of the KKG and IBIS. There are plenty of rookies around in your usual stomping grounds to bring your ego back up so that you will be able to sleep at night. However, if you are the type of player who is able to identify his/her own flaws, then I can for sure tell you that playing on my server will help show them to you.

"But Gibz, I don't want my flaws to show!! They're ugly and they make me look st00pid!!1" Quit being so damn insecure. The best thing about flaws is that we can learn from them, and can lower the frequency at which we make those mistakes. If you are playing on a server where the players are more likely going to punish you for your mistakes, then in order to succeed you are forced to identify your mistakes and figure out better ways of approaching situations.

"But Gibz, I wanna win!! Nobody likes losing." Failure is the first step to success, my bros. Sure, losing isn't fun... but think about this. Three players on the enemy team are substantially better than you. They wipe you out every single time you see them during the round. Take a second, and think about how you approached your engagements. You use that goddamn brain of yours, goddammit. Then, the next round starts. Oh shit, two of those three guys are on the enemy team again! Let me try to approach this a little smarter, this time. ohfuckohfuckohfuck it's joshhhy ohfuck he's right down the hall. Okay time to play smart. GOTTA BE SMART. WOOH HNNG I KILLED JOSHHHY WOW I FEEL SO AMAZING THERE IS ORGASMS IN MY HEART RIGHT NOW.

Surely it is more rewarding to be challenged, and then overcome that challenge, than to just remove the challenge entirely, right? Noticing yourself improve feels a hell of a lot better than being given a free pass.

So that's what my server is all about. It's about allowing the high skill players and the low skill players to play together. It's about giving you an actual challenge. IT'S ABOUT MAKING YOU SMARTER, DAMMIT. I'M DOING THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. And I care about you, no matter how butt-ugly you are. I like being told when my server shits itself, or when something goes wrong, because I am here to provide you with nothing less from the best.

So if you're looking for a REAL pub, for REAL MEN, don't look anyplace else, but Gibs' Gorge Hut.

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    LOL I love giving heart orgasms.
  • WavyBlueWavyBlue Florida, U.S. Join Date: 2008-07-27 Member: 64711Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gibs, you give us all heart orgasms. You tell 'em, sonny. c;
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Gibs server, best server.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    WavyBlue wrote: »
    Gibs, you give us all heart orgasms. You tell 'em, sonny. c;

But that's joshy's job
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    My "brutally honest" feedback: Last time I clicked on your server, the amount of mods installed caused me to type disconnect in console before waiting for the map to load.

I'm really not a fan of mods though - I prefer the server(s) I play on pure, so I'm probably an extreme outlier.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Last time I clicked on your server, the amount of mods installed caused me to type disconnect in console before waiting for the map to load.

I had a time where there were far too many mods on the server (the list covered the entire screen while loading). I've since removed the majority of the mods on the server. Currently there are only these mods: Custom HUD, [Shine] Cross Spawns, Shine Administration, Badges+, and gorgehutswag (several .dds files to go with the Badges+ mod). So there is no longer a hefty download when joining the server :)
  • LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    Nice post. Good server for sure, ive put many hours into it, MANY.

Get out of here with the "real men' comment though. Non-male pro's are on your server all the time....
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    +1 fun server for anyone looking to get better. One of the best games of ns2 I've had was on there. There was like 6 comp players on both teams (when it was 20 or 22 man server) and the game lasted an intense hour, epic back and forth that ended attempting to base trade.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gibs wrote: »
    REAL pub, for REAL MEN
    rantology wrote: »
    Gibs server, best server.

lol @rantology, you are no.. pubplayer!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Never played this server, now I want to.

Strange I don't remember this server showing up in browser.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If gibs start singing over the microphone just vote kick him.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I approve this brain massage.
    LORFCASTER wrote: »
    Get out of here with the "real men' comment though. Non-male pro's are on your server all the time....

it was joke
    joshhh wrote: »
    Rantology is a wizard that has ascended past the realm of petty genders.

I died.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    When Gibs isn't singing or leaving all-talk on, it's a pretty decent server. I wish more servers were less laggy like his, as most servers under 20 slots all seem to lag a lot lately.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    All this recent server operator bashing is really stupid.

Filter full, filter empty, organize by ping/perf, organize by slots. Who honestly gives such a shit beyond that that we'd need to go to such extremes to separate an already tiny player base? This is as bad as any cliquey high-school bs I've witnessed, and I really dont see the need for it in ns2 IMHO.
    @2cough ask king if I can speak to him about my ban
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Gibs, I can't comment on that, really not my business. I'm just a pubber lookin to play and feel welcomed, or at least not ostracized on whatever serv I play on. I think it's lame, yes, but I don't think constantly flaming one another is gonna help anything either. Just my 2 cents.
    edited March 2014
    @2cough I'm not flaming anybody! I just want to speak to him, as an adult, regarding my ban.

I also do not give a shit if you play on his servers, lol. I don't care what server(s) anybody plays on.
    Well, while not flaming, you're both clearly trying to dig at each other a little. Can't deny that. Anyways, not like I really care that much, it's just kind of disappointing to see the daily player count lower and lower, then see threads like these past couple pop up. Makes me feel less optimistic about how much longer we as will have to even enjoy this game in a public server setting. When there's only so many populated pub servs to join, I just don't see divisions like this and calling out other servers operators:
    Gibs wrote: »
    If you are one of those players who is not capable of handling a situation where a person on the internet is better than you at a video game, and you cannot be bothered to identify your own flaws that are causing the player to have such an advantage over you, then please continue to spend your days in the realms of the KKG and IBIS.
    as being a very effective means for nurturing the community, which as a member of the community, is something I think we should all keep in mind. KKG not excluded. Did you say anything explicitly negative there? No, not really, but the implied sarcastic tone sends a message of it's own.
    Also, I wanna point out that it's clear that you've got quite a lot of support in this thread for your serv based on all les <3's, which is totally not an issue, but it does highlight the schismatic power of threads like this.

I just wanna be able to enjoy this game for as long as possible without having to join special pug groups or gathers to do so as I usually only have few hours before or after work to play.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    @2cough‌
    I think you are reaching there.. there's no sarcastic tone, just fact.
    Both those servers he mentions have been historically dedicated to rookie only servers and have been known as such. Only recently has KKG began opening experienced servers.

Also.. i dont think gibs nor I nor anyone would not share your desire to enjoy this game without schisms or divides... well... almost anyone. I must admit I cannot account for why King bans. Those actions are what contributes to the said schism... something gibs nor I haven't done so far. Just keep that in mind ;)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @2cough‌
    I think you are reaching there.. there's no sarcastic tone, just fact.
    Both those servers he mentions have been historically dedicated to rookie only servers and have been known as such. Only recently has KKG began opening experienced servers.

Also.. i dont think gibs nor I nor anyone would not share your desire to enjoy this game without schisms or divides... well... almost anyone. I must admit I cannot account for why King bans. Those actions are what contributes to the said schism... something gibs nor I haven't done so far. Just keep that in mind ;)

Yeah I agree, the king bans have been hair-triggered, and mostly that last post was a symptom of posting before toking. But anyways, I don't think you can say it's "fact" that nobody will try to help you improve as a player on other servers, which is the gist of what I got from the line I quoted of his. If sarcastic isn't the tone, then maybe smart-ass would be better. And the "joke" of playing there where only "REAL men" play only adds to the air of that attitude IMO.
    Additionally, this thread is an obvious poke at the KKG 500hr+ serv thread, which is not a noob only server, so I don't think it's fair to draw back to the former noob only nature of those servers, either. For the past several months, I rarely even see the green KKG servs populated. And while you guys can say your actions haven't attributed to this "schism" I brought up (admittedly it's an insignificant one), with the public nature of forums and the way people like to attach themselves to one group or another in general, all this support from comp players and forum admin does paint a picture for potential new blood to see. If this were my first time playing and reading thru these forums, I've got a lot of shit to go off w/ out speding a minute in either server.
    I suppose these threads kind of remind of the Twix candy bar commercials of late. Left side of factory thinks right side Twix are inferior, right side thinks left are inferior. When it comes down to it, it's still the same shit (ns2) we're all eating (nom nom nom).
    edited March 2014
    Fair enough.
    I can see how it might be taken as attitude or a competitive jab amongst server owners..

Except there's an important distinction that should be reiterated once again because it contradicts your "same shit different server" argument... Only one party has banned (many attest unfairly, to include myself) - this being the sole source of contention, and arguably a very unfriendly and instigating action to take compared to subtle forum jabs.

It's like telling your two sons to stop fighting and bickering because it annoys you and neither of them are helping the situation.. but when you turn your back only one child is actually doing the hitting.

But you're right about it being a silly event none the less so I'll leave it here ;-)
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    If I had a Hut, the only Hut I'd want it to be is a Gorge Hut.

If I had a Gorge, the only Gorge I'd want it to be is Gibs' Gorge.

Gibs' Gorge Hut makes all my wildest dreams come true.
    edited March 2014
    I wasn't aware the Amish were poets. Very beautiful decoy.
  • ArkavusArkavus Join Date: 2013-01-26 Member: 182252Members
    ball2hi wrote: »
    When Gibs isn't singing or leaving all-talk on, it's a pretty decent server. I wish more servers were less laggy like his, as most servers under 20 slots all seem to lag a lot lately.

That is kinda the charm of playing on Gibs' server. You never know what you are going to get.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts