Activity and latency for Asian players

CrisscrossCrisscross Philippines Join Date: 2014-01-09 Member: 192876Members
Hi. I hope this is an appropriate question, but I was just hoping to get some info before I buy the game =X

I was just wondering what the activity is like on the Southeast Asian and Australian servers. I've browsed the forums here and on steam and have gotten conflicting posts with some saying they're dead and others saying they're fine during primetime. I just wanted to know if one can usually find a decent game going in the evenings here nowadays. Are the SEA/Australian communities still active?

Also, are the US servers generally welcoming of ~200 ping players? Sometimes I've been lucky to find US west servers with around 150-190ms on other games. How does that sort of ping fare in this game? I know I play Planetside 2 everyday on a US West server with absolutely zero problems, but I realize there's alot more twitch involved in NS2. Is rubberbanding a huge problem? And is hit detection client-side or server-side? Have other Aussies/Asians... even Europeans been able to play decently on US servers?

Any input is appreciated. Been excited about the game for a while, but I'm just concerned whether I'll be able to enjoy it if I buy it. Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Cant say about aus or asian servers but as far as US accepting 200 ping players I think you'll be fine. I've never heard of anyone complaining about playing against high ping players. You will be at a disadvantage for sure playing with 200 ping but the skill level you see in pub servers its easily able to be overcome in general. Playing equal skill players it would be a disadvantage sure considering the game has a 100ms interp issue as it is so people rage from dieing around corners even with equal ping.

I don't think rubber banding will be an issue for you at all. Hit detection visually is client but actual is server.

In short, will you notice being bitten by shit 10 feet away or meatshoting something then dieing right after? Yes. Is the game playable at 200 ping? Absolutely..have fun.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I live in New Zealand, plenty of Australian Servers locally, I play around the world up to about 230ms with no problems.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Yesterday i see China server CCohnos , Singapore and 2 Multiplay Server with ping about 80-150 can suitable

Asia NS2 request UWE make Deciated server Taiwan , this country have a great ping in every game ( TF2 CSGO..vvv)
  • CoolDud1515CoolDud1515 Canada Join Date: 2014-01-08 Member: 192800Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    China's servers are pretty good. I haven't seen how other countries in Asia fare though. The Australian servers are very much active even during the evening and 100 to 250 ping levels shouldn't be that much of an issue. (For me at least)
  • CrisscrossCrisscross Philippines Join Date: 2014-01-09 Member: 192876Members
    Thank you very much for the reassuring replies guys. I've bought the game and am downloading now. Looking forward to playing!
    Singapore and AUS server is 100% good , China 20 players lagging anddrop performance when its close 19 player

I think UWE should open Taiwan Offical Server , their country have very good ISP in the world
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I live in Darwin and I get 70-100 ping to the Monash servers (which i believe is located in Sydney) and 80-120 ping to the UWE official servers (wherever they are hosted at), the Monash and 1 or 2 of the UWE servers are usually full.

Hope this helps
    China server is bad , you allways encounter error "Game file not match server"

After you play until server change 2nd map
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Twig wrote: »
    I live in Darwin
    How can the people of Darwin play anything else than Natural Selection?
    With that city name you got no choice. They must be training their children as soon as Kindergarten starts!

SCNR
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Plus Darwin is right in the path of a cyclone ally ... made for a good weather movie, though.
    Hey Asian players , you can connect to Thailand server right now (CatgivesGame server)
  • RocketBlackManRocketBlackMan USA Join Date: 2014-05-02 Member: 195727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yesterday i see China server CCohnos , Singapore and 2 Multiplay Server with ping about 80-150 can suitable

Asia NS2 request UWE make Deciated server Taiwan , this country have a great ping in every game ( TF2 CSGO..vvv)

Indeed, I've got quite a number of mates over in Australia who've mentioned the game still remains pretty active on multiple servers. Latency appears to be hit-or-miss at times, but largely NS2 is playable out in that region.

Oh and now there is 5 Singapore Server [SkullTest] with combat mod , MvM , Faded vanilla

Anyone in Asia can join this with great ping 60-120
    If you guys play on Lag server , because we are in Asia and have to play in US server

But with high lag/choke and you guys can still practice with high k/d ratio , i think Asia players are not bad

Hope on next NS2 World Cup there is Asia team :D
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    edited May 2014
    For what it's worth I'm in Hawaii and for the same reason I just put up my own server. Do a search for 'Yogurtland' in the server browser. Pretty much a vanilla server with ns2stats enabled.
  • khw_henrykhw_henry HK Join Date: 2014-05-17 Member: 196096Members
    I'm connecting from Hong Kong. There was a Hong Kong server a year ago. playing ping like 50~70, now, I play in foreign server, it always goes to 270~290 ping
    ah , Singapore server latency is good but players often join only on Sunday 6PM
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play with 200-250ms ping regularly and as long as there are no spikes, it's very playable with the netcode. You just need to get into the habit of starting Evasive Manoeuvres half a second before actually seeing the enemy to avoid getting splattered due to the time delay.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    me too , but this build 260 make new error for me Black screen

250 ping means you slower than your enemies x2 , need to keep moving to confuse them