Twisty Bridges - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageTwisty Bridges - Subnautica

Today we released a new piece of concept art, ‘Twisty Bridges.’ Cory created this piece to explore possibilities for life, geography, and aesthetics in the ‘Coral Reef’ biome. This biome is very important to us at the moment because it will be the biome that the playable PAX East 2014 build centres on. If you like Twisty Bridges, vote it up in the Steam Community!…

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump. Perhaps Subnautica will feature a forum bot clever enough to start forum threads on its own?
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    That is just gorgeous.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    It looks like two octopi dancing :D Love it :D

Although, Good luck making that with the terrain generator :P
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Absolutely love this image. Can't wait!

Some underwater themed 90's music seems apt right now!

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

That sort of thing is one of the reasons we have a robust tile system for creating pre made tile sets that get put together in game. For elaborate, detailed, and very specific looking terrain, we create the terrain tiles by hand, and leave the procedural terrain generation for filler areas, or possibly some specific biomes that work well with that approach.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

That sort of thing is one of the reasons we have a robust tile system for creating pre made tile sets that get put together in game. For elaborate, detailed, and very specific looking terrain, we create the terrain tiles by hand, and leave the procedural terrain generation for filler areas, or possibly some specific biomes that work well with that approach.

The hybrid prefab/procedural approach seems like a very smart idea to me. At the very least it supports better prototyping and also provides some sort of quality benchmark for the generator. In this case though I'm pretty sure that one could code a generator capable of producing the shown geometry. I'm thinking along the lines of a NURBS tentacle decorator for ridges. Can't wait to get my hands on a nice PC again to actually code it!

Oh and by the way: Awesome work Cory. Now please stop making years and years of advances in game engines and 3D graphics look ridiculous in comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    bootyful, this is the most exciting bit of art I've seen yet for the game.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I sincerely hope UWE can pull off this level of detail and depth throughout the game. (P.S. Is that a gorge I see hiding in the corner?)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Btw, it looks like you have comments turned off on all of subnautica's google+ posts. https://plus.google.com/u/0/+subnautica/posts/6SGtqx4kBk1
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »
    Btw, it looks like you have comments turned off on all of subnautica's google+ posts. https://plus.google.com/u/0/+subnautica/posts/6SGtqx4kBk1

@moultano thanks for the tip mate! I'll try and figure out how to fix that...