How to get to the next skill level?

DustmopDustmop Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174780Members
I feel like I have been stuck at the same skill level in this game for a long time.
Normally when I join a server I become the #1 player in points and kills.

There are a few times though when someone is just much better than me and in a 1v1 fight they would win 9/10 times and completely carry their team to victory.

They are on a whole different level, with my skulk i manage 1 bite before death and with a marine even less.

What are your strategy's to improve against people so good that everyone quits the server?

Comments

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    A lot of it is just learning the game, which takes time. Keep playing. Maybe watch some competitive NS2 on YouTube or Twitch. Watch how higher level players position themselves and such before an engagement.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    It's similar to how I reached what I call "Super Kouji 2". Not by punishing your body and mind by overtraining, but by ascending to that natural state of being able to hold my super powers without trying to force it. Once you get to that state, you should be able to get to that next level and increase your speed and strength tremendously.

Sometimes I'm way too bored, I'm sorry :-??

Also I was watching some youtube DB related stuffs, procrastination at it's finest :-<
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    A great way to get better is to consistently play people better then you. Sounds like you are not finding this in typical pub play so you might want to consider joining a team and start playing competitive.
  • DustmopDustmop Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174780Members
    Good Ideas, NeXuS and current1y. I will give them a try.
    <3 the helpful community
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Dustmop wrote: »
    What are your strategy's to improve against people so good that everyone quits the server?

We (meaning you alone) shall defend our (read: your) island, whatever the cost may be, we (=you) shall fight on the beaches, we (u) shall fight on the landing grounds, we (yes u alone) shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we (=Dustmop) shall fight in the hills; we (meaning You) shall never surrender.

Oh and tip: if you have a good mouse try lowering your sensitivity in steps. Use big arm movements for quick turning and wrist movement for aim.
    Dunno where i got this info from (maybe some Bitey vid??) but it helps alot, although it takes awhile.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Playing Quake makes you better at any kind of shooter.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Most of quake with the exception of the LG and Rail are very different types of aim (prediction) compared to ns2. I can't see it really helping all that much.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    LG and rail are typically used 60-70% of the time though
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited March 2014
    playing most FPS games gives you elements that will help with NS2. Map knowledge & out-thinking your opponent, movement are high end quake live skills which translates into NS2 quite well. Only issue I find with QL is going from white walls, bright skins to a highly immersive game like NS2 is my level of concentration and my sight/ability to see is affected.

CS gives you somewhat better twitch aim & mouse control, also some prediction.

Osu gives you wicked mouse control.

The best advice,
    Play with/against & watch better players & analyse there game plan. No point watching a pro's stream and not analysing there movement patterns, ambushes, map sense.
    & play a lot.

The ability to learn & identify weakness is a huge factor. No point having 50% accuracy if you blindly run into a corner with a skulk there.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am also wondering the same. For the last 2 month now I have stuck at level 2. Though when I play I am towards the top of the scoreboard. I have checked that the servers I do play are recording my progression on the hive, and with an average score above most other players, I still do not seem to rank in skill level. Am I missing something here?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Uhhhh... that has nothing to do with the OP.

But... the 'level' you see in hive is your score level, not your skill. You gain levels by accumulating points in game or something like that. I don't know why your level wouldn't increase in 2 months though. Might be a bug.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I must just be reading the OP's response wrong but I am still reading it as how I first did. It doesn't bother me much about it not going up though just curious to know why has not moved since the start, like at all.
    @Cannon_FodderAUS I didn't see your post at first so sorry for the second post, but no. If you see what I originally said and I will say now in more detail. I have checked the servers I do play on if they are, and the games do record in the hive, with the round time/win or loss/score and the rest. My average score does increase and lower but my skill level does not seem to move, no matter how good I have been playing in a any number of rounds. Like I said though I am not really bothered about it, I don't see how skill rank or any of that has got to do with having fun in NS2. It never did in NS1 or NS2 beta or NS2 after release till a few month ago, so why should it now.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2014
    NS2 doesn't have enough consistency to improve you. Every encounter has a vast amount of variables, and can either happen in the next 20sec or the next 2min. Nitpicking aside, you can't focus on improving playing normally.

Like others suggested, go play something like quake. Every encounter you know what's up, you know exactly what went wrong, and the next encounter is in 5 seconds.

Don't exhaust yourself, play a bit of quake till you feel like you've made some progress, and then play for fun. Remember, no matter how good you get, there's ALWAYS someone better than you. Except for Rapha.

Edit for @NeXus: "Nitpicking aside". Obviously you still gotta play the game, and you still improve by just playing the game. Derp.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I don't understand that logic. Get better at NS2 by NOT playing NS2. Yeah, makes sense. #-o
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    nezz wrote: »
    Osu gives you wicked mouse control.

Hahaha. :D That game looks like wicked good practice. :P

• QubeQube Join Date: 2014-03-01 Member: 194434Members
    Practice independent aiming skills: http://aim400kg.ru/en/
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Wow, who would need an aim bot with that kinda mouse control? I feel better about my life now. :)
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    @Mestaritonttu‌

Ho...ly...crap. I'd never seen that "game" before (looks like graphic designer/painter training/on crack really xD ):

I'm still looking for my jaw on the floor:

(Timecode doesn't work, go to 7:22)

(Timecode doesn't work, go to 18:49)

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It would be interesting to know what average (not counting onos hits) LMG and shotgun accuracy some of the godlike players have, so us mortal souls can have a target to aim for (hehehe). :)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Neoken wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know what average (not counting onos hits) LMG and shotgun accuracy some of the godlike players have, so us mortal souls can have a target to aim for (hehehe). :)

http://ns2stats.com/round/round/211894
    http://ns2stats.com/round/round/211803

onos hits are calculated in there but you might get a rough picture
    Not sure if it's Custom HUD or NS2Stats but on NSL servers, it give both. Accuracy with and without Onos hits. I also don't think shooting cysts count as hits either.
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2014
    Awhile before NS2 I was heavily invested in NS1 with top teams, playing with Fana and all those top tier players back in the day. So coming into NS2 I was like "yeah no problem gonna own this up".
    In reality, I felt like a complete retard when I started playing. It took me quite some time to figure out the "game-sense" with like none/bad tutorials around at that time.

The big thing to know is, what am I doing next? Where should I be right now? Predicting the play, be it marines or aliens. "Game-sense". Public and Competetive is pretty different in this way, since in competetive you're only 5 players on the field (1 comm), so there's not much forgiveness of errors in comparison to pubgames. Even godlike aimers can be picked off by a smart/well timed skulk, just knowing where to ambush or when to strike. If you got problems getting killed as marine, remember, "It's all about positional play". You want to position yourself in the most ideal place to fight, where -you- have the advantage over them. Tane wrote some guide about this on ensl.org, not sure how up-to-date it is now, but could be worth reading.

Competetive games are imo the best place atm to improve. I learned tons of stuff just playing for my first team, then gradually getting better, joining a better team and learning even more. But if playing in a competetive team isn't your thing for whatever reason, like time consuming etc, then I'd suggest joining the gathers/pugs being played. European gathers are mostly played on the ensl.org website and American pugs have a steam group called "pug pug pug", but I've never tried it so I can't say I'm 100% on that being the right one? So that's basicly 2 teams (6v6), but with random signed up players playing 1 map. (There's also the new gather system in the ingame menu you can test out)

Either way you choose to play I'd say engaging with other players, be it ingame or gathers/competitions, is the way you'll learn the fastest. Evolving your gameplay from other peoples experiences. So use that microphone & glhf!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Not sure if it's Custom HUD or NS2Stats but on NSL servers, it give both. Accuracy with and without Onos hits. I also don't think shooting cysts count as hits either.

It's CHUD. If you hit a structure (ie. Not a player) it doesn't count towards accuracy.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Neoken wrote: »

http://ns2stats.com/round/round/211894
    http://ns2stats.com/round/round/211803

onos hits are calculated in there but you might get a rough picture

Nice Meph, but I was talking about disclosing some super awesome CHUD accuracy stats! :D
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited March 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    Start playing...
    Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs

This post was dedicated to @GORGEous

I would agree broadly BUT beware there are some people with gigantic egos that prowl the gather/pug world and cannot tolerate even the slightest mistake, whether or not they themselves are the cause of the loss. When embarking upon gathers, remember that these aren't clan matches or pcws, but are meant for fun and increasing skill. Ignore the whiners and those whose greatest achievement in life is being good at NS2, and play on, dear noob, play on!
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    b1.se wrote: »
    Tane wrote some guide about this on ensl.org, not sure how up-to-date it is now, but could be worth reading.

Here's Tane's post regarding marine play from NS1. Much of it is still applicable.

joshhh wrote: »
    Start playing...
    Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs Pugs

This post was dedicated to @GORGEous

I would agree broadly BUT beware there are some people with gigantic egos that prowl the gather/pug world and cannot tolerate even the slightest mistake, whether or not they themselves are the cause of the loss. When embarking upon gathers, remember that these aren't clan matches or pcws, but are meant for fun and increasing skill. Ignore the whiners and those whose greatest achievement in life is being good at NS2, and play on, dear noob, play on!

Typically if you let the pug players know you are new to 6v6, the big ego players tend to settle down a bit. Atleast this applies to NA Reddit pugs.