ns2_light

lotnik190lotnik190 Poland Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187394Members
Hello, here is my first map ever made. I have no experience with mapping so be understanding towards me. It is a solar power station located somewhere in space. Layout is based on square. It has 5 tech points. Teams can spawn in every tech point room excluding the central one. Map is quite small.

I`ve done the greybox so map is playable and it is still testing on server Battle Gorge Royale (polish community server). I`m going to make Delivery Room and Main Reactor smaller, completely change vents locations (don't want to have vents leading to tech point rooms), and do some other small changes.

Here is the Workshop link: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=212016680

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    hey mate. We played your map on sunday night! It Was a 8 v 8 game but the map held up reasonably well for a first build. Aliens won by just holding the bottom three RT's and harassing the marines bases. Can't really say more off one game but you should come join the SCC steam group and add me (or any of the other moderators) if you want to join us on these weekly tests.
  • lotnik190lotnik190 Poland Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187394Members
    After a little break I released the next build of my map. Map is now bigger, some rooms were remade, I added a lot of stuff like boxes. Map was tested and it is still marine friendly (but not that much as it used to be).Now I`m going to make rooms more alien friendly and put rts in container and entrance instead of water control and roof entrance.

tcdr8Xv.jpg
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    I haven't been in game to check it out yet, but looks like a good start as far as the layout go. Only thing I could put my finger on just from looking a the overview is that there seems to be too many connections from "Steam" to "2nd Reactor" and from "Water Flow" to "Evacuation". I would remove the connections that are in the middle, going directly from and to the locations mentioned.

Keep it up!
    Little update:
    -Moved res from roof entrance and water control to entrance and container
    -Deleted connection between water flow and evacuation, steam and 2nd reactor (thanks MasterG)
    -Added glass wall in control (very ugly glass wall)
    -Made map darker
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    we'll test it this Sunday and get you some feedback. keep at it mate
    Update!
    Kyr7RHI.jpg
    -Rebuilt the connection between Main Reactor and Cooling
    -Remade Entrance
    -Made new Ready Room (just to make something that doesn`t look like a big cube)
    LJEjn9X.jpg
    -Fix some bugs
    -Control is fully textured!!
    qeFUhex.jpg
    ZNXo5K1.jpg
    6hY6LQu.jpg
    vF9pUhy.jpg
    5OFpQVs.jpg
    t8kya5M.jpg
    It isn`t the most beautiful room ever made, but as I said I had never been mapping before. I haven`t added the atmospherics yet, but it`s not a problem.

I have one problem. Hive`s arms in Control are floating. I tried to put something on their way, but they just penetrate through it.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    Floating hive arms are fairly common. What I usually do is try to hide them by having a low enough ceiling above tech points, or make geometry that they don't penetrate too much through. I know that it can be kind of a pain to be designing all tech points to make sure the hive looks like it is actually grabbing on to something, but sometimes it just can't be done.

Looks like you're off to a good start considering this is your first attempt at mapping. Learning as you go can be very time consuming, but if you have patience with yourself and the editor I think you wilo be fine!
    I made a new update :)
    VSdVKYH.jpg
    -Locker Room is fully textured
    7U8shqh.jpg
    fkOfD0z.jpg
    B53bkYT.jpg
    VYPnVW6.jpg
    spiLHQo.jpg
    odkzAUw.jpg
    5b0B5XH.jpg
    8RUAIsW.jpg
    -Remade Steam (very problematic room)
    kbaVB0W.jpg
    -Moved the Res Node in Evacuation
    -Added Skybox (the veil`s skybox), it`s just for now. I`m going to make my own skybox (it will be hard I guess), because there is no skybox made by UWE that suits my map.
    -Fixed some bugs
    Little update, I`ve only textured Container.
    EHnC7Db.jpg
    RoWarJO.jpg
    e6LogDC.jpg

I`ll be still working on it, because I`m not satisfied with what I`ve done and I`m going to publish a bigger update in few days.
    I Really like the simplicity of the map its got some really nice rooms but the biggest issue right now is the zig zagging you've got in some areas. The routes out of control are just too long and windy.
    Also the stairs going to the east out of control need collision geometry.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Hey,

Here is the video from today's playtest. I know you were there, but it doesn't hurt to give you another viewpoint :D
    Thx for all feedback, really appreciate that.

I`m going to make a big update in week that includes:
    - fixing all pathing problems
    - making some changes in map layout in order to make walk time form each TP to the nearest RTs the same
    - changing some rooms` shape
    - finishing Container
    edited April 2014
    OK, here is the update:
    RVxlYaL.jpg
    - added stairs in computer core to decrease time walk from control to energy
    6ca7l5M.jpg
    - opened doors in locker room to decrease time walk from control to container
    oriFgAw.jpg
    Here is a beautiful picture of time walk (before/after) from every TP to the nearest RTs and central TP. I think up to 2 sec difference is ok.
    hUe5LHr.jpg
    - place a window in corridor in order to prevent marines jumping through hole in the wall, added a vent that will allow only aliens pass through this wall
    MamoG91.jpg
    - restored the power node in corridor (it disappeared few builds ago, I noticed it when I was watching the video from playtest)
    - lowered almost every ceiling on the map
    - added a pillar and a crate in energy transfer
    IzEZ7TF.jpg
    - added a big wall in delivery room
    TYW3dzL.jpg
    - fixed pathing problems by changing stairs into ramps
    - added atmospherics (ugly atmospherics...)
    - added reflections
    2sCB2pt.jpg
    FaRUp50.jpg
    - added smooth edges
    - finished container
    8SCKvXw.jpg
    - some other small changes
    Fast update, because I didn't have much time:
    jXN5x3h.jpg

- Cooling is fully textured, changed back corridor into big vent (like on Tram) that aliens can hide in.
    MMOpT4j.jpg
    T8r9iPG.jpg
    6D7HFfi.jpg
    JH3qpsO.jpg
    uo5LDJx.jpg
    TXL2y0O.jpg
    HTtNFGS.jpg
    BQuer2u.jpg
    - Added sounds (just testing but anyway it's better than silence)
    - fixed problem with vent entrance in Water Control (fade couldn`t enter into it)
    - fixed porblem with reflection in Control (map entities were visible in it)
    - removed crates from Container (that should help marines)
    2ysvzLi.jpg
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Update!:
    rCkazTh.jpg
    - Rebuilt the center of the map
    - Textured part of the map (random textures, in next update whole map will be textured, that should help aliens)
    Zw36Ve2.jpg
    - New doors in Control
    NAonBhL.jpg
    - Rebuilt Live Support System
    ffV3DOd.jpg
    - Rebuilt part of the Flow Control
    - Fixed some walls in Container
    - Moved RT in Evacuation and 2nd Reactor
    - Some other small changes

More changes in next update.
    edited July 2014
    Update, this time without any balance changes, because there was no test last week:
    nUgDkFj.jpg
    - Detailed Ready Room, much work, I think it is the best looking room on this map. It also has board with informations about the map.
    WE4BluM.jpg
    9ut0Wzp.jpg
    OG5VI7n.jpg
    fTOOwp0.jpg
    YJZ4qcQ.jpg
    NfQDIDS.jpg
    UQlmCca.jpg
    qegOZtc.jpg
    - Finished texturing whole map (random textures, looks ugly).
    7sqUjSl.jpg
    iLk1s2x.jpg
    1e2yKUC.jpg
    - Some other changes
    Update:
    gwRNfsR.jpg
    - Rebuilt Locker Room and part of Control (graybox now, will be detailed soon)
    z3LyI9c.jpg
    ant1wZv.jpg
    383XwNC.jpg
    - Lowered some walls in Evacuation
    AvkZ89j.jpg
    - Made door in Cooling bigger (onos can get through without crouching now)
    5VDeEID.jpg
    - Added some walls in Energy Transfer
    sDRP4Q7.jpg
    - Made more space around resource nozzles (skulk can hide now behind almost every RT)
    - Added more crates to the center part of the map

I will probably miss this and next week playtest :/ I will make more changes to layout in the center part of the map soon, but first I want to test current layout more to get some feedback. Anyway from last test I know that it is really hard for marines to defend Evacuation and 2nd reactor RTs, because aliens can get there really quickly and easly.
    Another update. I'm still looking for good layout of center, so big changes here:
    sIS8wXD.jpg
    - Big changes to the center of the map, basically less ways for skulks to go and bite rt, it's easier to block the line.
    75MHxzb.jpg
    AB16un6.jpg
    syvhHIw.jpg
    Bl1Fz6T.jpg
    - Rebuilt vent system
    - Made Main Reactor a little bit darker, just a little bit, I will make more changes to it and Container in the future (probably next update)
    CRwRZsA.jpg
    - Fixed some things in Ready Room
    - Moved Power Node in Delivery Room, because the old one was hard to find and it was vary far from RT (and everything)
    - Moved Power Node in Container, caused by changes made to the center
    - Moved Power Node and Resource Nozzle in Entrance (gave RT some cover), again caused by changes made to the center
    O3APG05.jpg
    - Fixed stuck point in 2nd Reactor
    - Some other changes
    HOTFIX

Fixed that damn Delivery Room power node. I had tried to do this when SCC tests were going, but Steam servers were dead and Lauch Pad couldn't upload new version :(.
    Update:
    qiHFgxH.jpg
    - New Control (for now greybox)
    YmxOlIf.jpg
    nL1ckBH.jpg
    QcFzLbH.jpg
    qlEb2Rn.jpg
    - New Junction
    gurVGQB.jpg
    - New 2nd Reactor
    0R0sX4u.jpg
    - Redoing Container (for now greybox, will be detailed soon)
    3O9QnYe.jpg
    - Made Energy Transfer less open
    NLzM3hi.jpg
    - Made more space around Delivery Room Tech Point
    w3QPZ5O.jpg
    - Forced cross spawns
    - More props around the map
    - Fixed floor in Transformer
    - You can now see names of rooms in spectate mode or as commander

From last update there is new ladder entity, and it doesn't work or (what's more possible) I can't use it, so ladders don't work now on my map. That shouldn't be a problem for now.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Some name overlaps.
    "water control" and "control" on the same map is a no-no.
    Maybe if it were something like a pumping room, you could call it "water pumps"?
    Map is shaping up nicely. I think overall the timings seem to be fine, though I didn't check them thoroughly. I created an epic drawing of some things that concerned me during sunday's playtests.

Red line = Too long line of sight(imo)
    Dark blue cross = Area is too tight/cramped
    Light blue cross = Area is too open/big

ns2_light_feedback01.jpg

Specially the line of sight from Transformer and north through Corridor is very long. Players get so far away that they don't render anymore. And due to the strucutre in the middle of Transformer the room just feels extremely cramped to walk into. If it was opened up just a tiny bit(northern part of the room) it could work wonders for the feel of space.

Cooling is actually fine, it just feels very small. Maybe raising the ceiling in there a little bit would help.

Energy Transfer feels smaller than Water Control even though it's a tech point. I feel like it could use a makeover with some expanding and I believe the room would benefit from being more open. Though this would need to be done without overdoing it. Another thing to note about the middle tech point is that the ramps in there are very steep. Not sure how to deal with them, but definitely shouldn't be as steep as they are now.

Delivery Room is just huge. I know a lot of people mentioned this on sunday as well.

Other than that I think a lot of the map suffers from having really low ceilings. Low ceilings are fine in some places, however it would be nice to see some more variation.

I also have to agree with @AurOn2. Some of the names can be very confusing at times. Water control/water flow/flow control/control. Also Main reactor/2nd reactor. I'm not sure what your plan is for all the water/flow areas, but for 2nd reactor maybe that could be called "Backup Core" or something similar.

Some corridors are have a little too many corners and turns. I know this is kind of needed due to line of sight and such. Not sure how to deal with this. Maybe creating rooms instead of corridors and block line of sight with structures instead, without making it feel cramped, would help a lot.

The map was fun to play on and seems to be coming along nicely in terms of balance. I would need to really check the timings to be sure about this though. Keep up the good work!
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited September 2014
    SCC Playtest o/ :

Flaterectomy's Paper Fade : 13mn15
    Troop's Paper Lerk : 16mn30
    ATF's Paper Lerk : 17mn00

Paper me ? the whole game...
    Ok, I'm back with an update, not sure for how long, this may be actually the last update due to lack of time :( But we will see. I've made few changes to layout, but not everything I wanted. Some things are waiting for the next update, which hopefully will someday come out. For now:
    vbnkoYy.jpg
    - Detailed Container, this is the final version, I hope it looks good.
    YPRokSK.jpg
    xEbd4PG.jpg
    CxneSQ1.jpg
    d3qLYRM.jpg
    EeDeCL5.jpg
    zPVjM5p.jpg
    - Remade connection between Corridor and Transformer
    EYqEPhc.jpg
    MAgfTgY.jpg
    - Fixed ladders
    - Fixed Gorge Tunnel location in Delivery
    - Removed all graybox
    grZz7hn.jpg
    - Lowered atmospherics
    - Fixed vent in Junction
    - Made a bit more space in Cooling
    p3dki4B.jpg
    - Few other small changes
    I think container looks awesome. Only thing that worries me about the room is that there seem to be very little space for skulks to go around the resnode. Which in turn means an Onos probably can't go around it?
    edited November 2014
    Ok, update time! Update was ready few days ago, but unfortunately I didn't have access to my laptop. I've tried to upload it from my new computer few times already, but as I had uploaded first version of the map from my laptop, when I upload it from my new computer it makes a new mod instead of updating the old one. :/ Maybe someone knows how to fix it?

But anyway:
    A1QuOB5.jpg
    - Remade Energy Transfer, it's very similar to the old version, but it should now be a bit more open. And it looks a lot better.
    i0DT4yC.jpg
    ebwuSqo.jpg
    ceg8AKB.jpg
    3kSuYFU.jpg
    yLkU8Av.jpg
    - Completely remade Air Lock. I have a problem with vent grates. I wanted to allow shooting through them, but Spark Editor doesn't allow to add a face to more then one layer, which means that I can't add grates faces to CommanderInvisibleVents and NonCollisionGeometry at once.
    sYCGLhn.jpg
    q5I487t.jpg
    - Remade Water Flow
    urkPRdy.jpg
    4maOgC8.jpg
    - Added a little detail to Container window, damn probe that doesn't want to reflect things :(
    LowpRUQ.jpg
    - Made a Secret Room :D It isn't completely finished, but it does exist.
    - Renamed Delivery Room to Supplies
    - Renamed Main Reactor to Reactor
    - Renamed 2nd Reactor to Supplementary
    - Renamed Water Control to Water Pumps
    - Renamed Water Flow to Hallway
    - Few other small changes

With next update map will probably be in Beta. I will focus more on detailing rooms as I'm pretty happy with actual layout. However there are still rooms that can change.
    MasterG wrote: »
    I think container looks awesome. Only thing that worries me about the room is that there seem to be very little space for skulks to go around the resnode. Which in turn means an Onos probably can't go around it?
    Yeah, Onos can't go around it, but that's not a problem, is it?