[Build 263] Mouse Clicks not registering

OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
edited February 2014 in Technical Support
I'm getting a game-breaking bug with build 263 where mouse clicks stop registering after entering 1-2 menus. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's options or hte server browser, but the game consistently stops registering any clicks after I open up one menu, sometimes 2 if it's still registering clicks after I enter one. This is a default install. I've verified game cache and removed the NaturalSelection2 folder in AppData. Any ideas?

I'm using Windows 8.1 if that's relevant at all.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Are you sure you are not running any mods? Are you in windowed mode?
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    No mods. This is the default config. I deleted the entire Natural Selection 2 folder in Appdata, so it's default settings. I'm not in windowed mode.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of my clan mates have encountered this error. Unknown specs etc. Also he has fps issues. I personally haven't encountered anything like this.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Had the same issue until i did go back to DX9 and fullscreen windowed mode at my laptop with win 8.1 with multiple monitors.
  • WakatuWakatu Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150222Members
    Bumping this thread because it's been happening a lot more often. The only way it fixes itself is if you restart NS2. But lately I've been restarting NS2 at least 3 times in a row before the mouse click can register in the server browser.
    That's exactly what I'm having to do as well. Sometimes if you get lucky you can enter the server browser immediately, but usually you have to restart the game between 1-3 times for the mouse to actually work once you enter one of those menus. The bizarre part is once you're in a game this bug disappears, but as soon as you disconnect from a server the bug re-appears and you may have to restart the game if you trigger it again.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    I have encountered this Mouse not find on Menu (Server Browser)

Suddenly your Yellow mouse not working , cant click on anything , but when Shift+Tab open Steam overlay the white mouse of window works ?

solved >>> open console type "quit" and relaunch > repeat until its work
    This not happen allways , but it does
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Logs would be fantastic.

Anything else running that might be an overlay on ns2? mumble etc.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Only one user mentioned multiple monitors + not DX9 and not fullscreen. Can the rest of you post if you were doing something similar?
    (p.s. always use fullscreen DX9)
    I'm using DX9 fullscreen. There's only 1 monitor. I have Windows 8.1, and there's nothing else on overlay. The log.txt file that the game dumps to in Appdata/Roaming/Natural Selection 2 shows only what I attached. Any other logs I can provide? I don't know what the log commands are for the game.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Only common element is winows 8.1 , then.
    im running allways DX9 Fullscreeen 800x600

after 2 quit game , its workd again ?

strange bug start to happens a lot more frequently
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Only common element is winows 8.1 , then.

Well I'm running Win 7, at 1280x720, full screen.

Here's my log if it helps.

@Wakatu‌
    damn
    And that log was DEFINITELY after you experienced this bug?
    edited February 2014
    @Wakatu‌
    damn
    And that log was DEFINITELY after you experienced this bug?

Pretty much, here's another that just happened. Tried joining a server that was full, 3 times obviously taking me back to the menu. On the fourth try, it takes me to the menu, and then it happened. It's in the current log. It shows memory leaks now, but not sure if that is the case or something normal.

Edit: So it happened again when restarting NS2. This time the log shows no memory leaks. Same as the log I posted before above.
    edited February 2014
    @wakatu
    Do me a favor and run "fullscreen windowed" just for a bit and see if you still have the problem.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    I've been having the exact same problem. windows 7, fullscreen. so bloody annoying.
  • SandmasterSandmaster Finland Join Date: 2014-02-17 Member: 194120Members
    I push the links trough server browser and cannot hit join or else..
    @wakatu
    Do me a favor and run "fullscreen windowed" just for a bit and see if you still have the problem.

It happened again doing it on "fullscreen windowed."

So it's not really a fix or anything, but if you go to console and type "retry" when a server is full and get sent back. Mouse click registration goes to normal. Nothing special, but it's slightly better than restarting NS2. Unless there's a console command to go back to menu?

Anyways the problem showed up in the latest patch, which was 263.

• alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Does this ever happen to anyone at 1600x900res?
    edited February 2014
    Thanks everyone for the reports thus far.
    Its a long shot, but please try this:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131757/fix-for-common-main-menu-bug#latest

Also, i'd like to see your techsupport.exe zip files please, to see installed mods and resolutions and any commonalities between users
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    ok, i tried what was in the topic you linked (delete the two lua folders and verify) still have the problem.

here is my techsupport zip file.

Thanks @Brad2810‌
    Just so you know, your video card (GPU) is below the minimum requirements for this game. You have 512 mb dedicated memory, and the minimum is 1 GB.
    Your GPU drivers also are not WHQL
    I don't think those are part of the problem, necessarily, but its worth mentioning. I can only begin to imagine the horrible FPS you get with that hardware :-/

As soon as you load into the game, this mod is mounted:
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mbfd84b0_1386300528/

TO EVERYONE REPORTING THIS ISSUE:

Please deactivate and unsubscribe from all mods so that we can rule them out.
    Especially right after a patch mods can and do tend to break stuff. If it works with your mods off, there isn’t a whole lot we or UWE can do to help you because it is a problem with a mod someone else wrote. You can always try to get in touch with the mod’s author and report the bug to them.
    You can get rid of your mods in 3 steps:
    • Unsubscribe from using the button in the workshop, through steam.
    • In NS2, you can deactivate things in the mods menu by clicking on things so that the active column reads NO
    • If all else fails, you can go to %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ and delete the workshop folder. The easiest way to get there is to press the windows button and the letter r, as in pirates, type in in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2 and press enter
      Ml2xnME.png

Thanks everyone for the reports thus far.
    Its a long shot, but please try this:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131757/fix-for-common-main-menu-bug#latest

Also, i'd like to see your techsupport.exe zip files please, to see installed mods and resolutions and any commonalities between users
    This did not fix the issue.

Here's my tech support log. Mods and resolution have made no difference for me. Neither has fullscreen, windowed, or windowed fullscreen. This tech support log zip is from a clean default setting with no mods (I deleted Appdata/Roaming/Naturalselection 2 again). The issue persists no matter what settings I use.
    edited March 2014
    @OuchOfDeath‌
    That tech support zip shows mods still installed.
    We still need to rule those out, so please remove :

Mod 'Yellow Dot Crosshair + Mellee Weapons' installed
    Mod 'Scoreboard Switch K/A/D to K/D/A' installed

Can you also try using your native resolution in game, after doing that. 1680 x 1050(p)
    thanks
    Here's my tech support thing. It's just weird how random this happens.
    @Wakatu‌
    can you also please try running the game in your native res? 1280 x 1024(p)
    My mistake. They were subscribed and auto-installed. I removed them, and I used my native res. The issue persists.
    @OuchOfDeath‌
    Thanks.
    Damn, wish I had a way to reproduce this..
    This "Mouse sudden Not move in Server Browser" happens when you try to start NS2 multiple time AFTER exit from Steam

I got this too :)) But SOLUTION is "press ~ near keypad 1 on keyboard and type quit"

TRy after restart NS2 2 times >> Until the 3rd attemp your mouse working again 100%