[Linux/Ubuntu] Alien nightvision not visible

tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
Hi,

when I play as an Alien, I'm not able to see the nightvision. I can hear it being turned on, but my view doesn't change.

My system:
Kernel~3.13.0-11-generic x86_64
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cypress XT [Radeon HD 5870]
X.Org: 1.15.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0-rc1

My settings:
Texture quality: Medium/High (tried both)
Particle Quality: Low/High (tried both)
Shadows: On/Off (tried both)
Light Quality: Low/High (tried both)
Anti-Aliasing: On/Off (tried both)
Bloom: On/Off (tried both)
Atmospherics: On/Off (tried both)
Reflections: On/Off (tried both)

Comments

• tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    push.

This issue still persists. Would be nice to have someone help me figure out if this is a driver or a game problem...
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    anything in your log? I would guess it is a shader issue but i cant really tell you much more.
    @Confused ah, thanks for showing up :)

Nope, there's nothing in error logs. I also tried and set some variables so that gallium/mesa would write not only errors but also warnings ...but nothing.

I'm also not sure if that's connected to my other problem (no weapon fire) or if that's an entire different issue. I think that this is a driver problem, but I'm not sure on how to proof that.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    is this on the ubuntu 14.4 nightly or am i thinking of a different install?

If so I would guess it might be some sort of odd mir thing but i have no real idea. I haven't a ha d a lot of time in the last few weeks to play around in it. I guess I could put XMir on my box and see if I can reproduce it.

edited March 2014
    @Confused well it is Ubuntu 14.04 but Mir isn't default there. I'm not even sure if it's included. I'm using the Gnome edition if that's important. But I think this is really something driver specific. Would be cool if someone else could hop over to radeon/gallium and look if he has the same issue.
    edited March 2014
    @Confused erh, sorry about double post but could try and find out if there are settings that can...uh...influence the effects/alien vision? Maybe even some settings that I can't set from GUI? I'd love to toy around with it (of course on a private server ;)), but I don't even know how that vision works. Is it some sort of 'effect' (similiar to how gunfire is displayed? Or the effects when you hit a wall with a knife?) or is it some kind of mask that is just displayed over/under the 'normal' image?!
    I believe that the Shader is called AlienVision and is in the ns2/shaders directory.

Obviously, you are gonna have to either back it up, or just delete it an verify. your other option is to setup a mod using the modding stuff which should let you mess around with it until you are happy and go from there.
    edited March 2014
    Deleted it, made it redownload it. No change. Also installed an AlienVision mod but no change either (yes, I enabled/activated it and restarted the game).

I also deleted the entire workshop folder. I changed all settings around. Nothing. It'd be really cool if just someone could try it out on an AMD GPU with the Mesa 10.1 version. Hell, I'm not the only Linux user with an AMD GPU...

Just to be sure, I'll nuke my installation from orbit now.
    Try something like cat packs, that also does a fullscreen effect. Could be that bit is broken in mesa right now.
    yeah, you can research them on the command station as a marine comm.
    But in game they look like this:

pic_12827723553575.jpg
    no

J1kGgKa.jpg
    edited March 2014
    okay, after I read a little bit about what shaders actually are and what they are used for...I dug this up:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21565680/how-to-enable-opengl-3-3-using-mesa-10-1-on-ubuntu
    The development release of Mesa 10.1 may implement GL 3.3 on radeon drivers, but you need to request a 3.3 core profile. You are not doing this currently.
    This:

glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, 0);

Actually needs to be this:

glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_CORE_PROFILE);

@Confused could you check with some/one of the devs if this is the problem? I'm absolutely not sure on how it looks in your code, but I guess that one of the software developers on UWs side should be able to check on how it's currently done.
    @tuxator‌, I will pass it on to max. Thanks for checking it out.
    @Confused ah, never mind about the core profile thing. Just checked the logfile:
    OpenGL 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0-rc3 initialized (X.Org Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS)
    GLSL version 3.30
    ARB_texture_storage extension present
    ARB_get_program_binary extension present
    so it's loading/initializing the correct version.
    now that I come to think about it: I've also trouble with seeing invisible alien structures as an alien. Depending on my camera angle/my position I can see those invisible structures but most of the time I can't. Meaning, I don't see anything at all.

Also when I switch 'infestation' to 'rich' all I see is black blobs. It's fine on 'minimal'.

I guess I should try and switch to the fglrx driver.