Vertigo

Brandley2142Brandley2142 US Join Date: 2014-03-05 Member: 194535Members
I was curious on what the community thought about vertigo for skulks and lerks when wall-walking.

My childhood game was AvP2 (aliens vs predator 2) and in that game aliens acted exactly as skulks do. Wall walk, leap, the whole core mechanic of skulk, was probably inspired by Aliens.

However, when on the ceiling, your vision would be upside down so that you saw the world as if you were actually on the ceiling hanging upside down. When on a wall, hanging sideways, your camera would be sideways, making the wall look like the floor.

I understand why the Devs didn't put it in the game, it would have discouraged wall-walking.

This is not even really an "issue" in the game but I was wondering if there was a client side mod the community knew of to give me this option.

Personally for me, it would make wall walking easier to navigate.

I would love to have vertigo as a skulk because it would just take me back to the days of AVP2 waiting for a marine and predator to duke it out, then get the drop on whomever won the fight.

Thanks for the help and nice to meet you all!

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Too fast. View rotation is great fun, but when you're hitting floor-wall-roof-wall-roof-floor in 2 seconds it would look like you're on a merry-go-round of death.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, since this game's movement relies so heavily on jumping on walls and then immediately jumping off, it would be far too disorienting.
  • Brandley2142Brandley2142 US Join Date: 2014-03-05 Member: 194535Members
    I know this, but that's why I'm not asking to change the game. It makes sense that the Devs didn't put this in. I was wondering if you guys had any idea of a client side mod that had this, yet still allows me to play on un-modded servers. Like a custom skin is still able to be used anywhere simply for the users aesthetic enjoyment.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    View rotation was tested, but people complained about it making them sick. There was a huge community attempt to create a working view rotation system, but unfortunately we were left stumped by z-fighting issues, so it was never completed.

So in short, no it does not exist, and 2nd because of consistency checking, you would not be able to play it on unmodded servers anyway, they would need to have the mod installed :D
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I absolutely hated the effect in AvP. It made things incredibly confusing to navigate for me. If this ever made it into NS2 Id either stop playing the game entirely, never go aliens or find intricate ways of not having to play as skulk.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I loved AvP 1+2. And the rotating view was no problem even in multiplayer. But I hated it in the last AvP-Game. It was horrible. You climbed over a ceiling lamp and your view went crazy. I whished they would have done it like in ns1 or 2. I remember thinking that all the time I played the game xD I would not want that mechanic in ns. Never :P In a singleplayer spinn-off? Yes, maybe.