Subnautica/Ecco the Dolphin interview

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hey all,

A month or so ago Steve, myself and the creator of Ecco the Dolphin (!) sat down for dinner with our friend Maxwell from Gamespot/Dinner-with-Devs. We ordered Indian food and had a hilarious and stimulating talk about video games, design, underwater and nature. We discuss the origins of both games and you'll get lots of tidbits and interesting stories about both.

http://www.dinnerwithdevs.com/2014/03/01/dinner-with-devs-episode-two/ (direct .mp3 download here)

We really loved meeting Ed and had a total blast talking about something we're all passionate about: the mystery of underwater. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for hosting us, Maxwell!

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Going through this at the moment. I am trying to make a 2d game that is supposed to be a cross of Subnautica ideas from the community and Ecco the Dolphin, so I am really looking forward to digesting all of this :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Really interesting chat, I didn't realize Subnautica was influenced by Ecco, should have seen that really :D
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good chat. it also nice to hear some information about what you have planned for it and would can possibly change. Oh and how you end up on the planet in the first place and maybe an extinct civilisation. Also I think Subnautica is a great name for the game but when considering the planet name, Think of something Great at catchy and not to call the Planet Subnautica. Something which it is a mixture of si-fi/spacey/aquatic maybe? Much like Already si-fi universes used names like Aquilaris in starwars or have something referenced to a Sea god/deitie which sounts Aquatic to the average person. like Poseidon, Nephthys, Oceanus or Neptune (Yeah I know but its an example). Cant wait to hear more about development