BGM Direction?

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
What kinds of BGM do the devs plan to use?

I vote on metroid prime-like music such as:

tallon overworld depths:

torvus bog:

and torvus bog subterranean:

What do you guys think?

Comments

• BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    Well there is a bunch of soundtracks on the subnautica youtube channel

So I guess they have already found the style they want to go for. But having these soundtracks on repeat can probably get annoying. So extended versions of them or maybe even if necessary make new tracks more suited for BGM.
    Me personally wouldn't mind if there was just a little BGM in Subnautica. Maybe BGM only start playing when you discover a new 'biom' or when you start moving you sub again after it have been standing still for a while. Kinda how minecraft does it. If it wasn't so that I have already grown fond of the Subnautica soundtracks i'd probably vote for something metroid-prime-ish aswell.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I agree with you. Thanks for showing me that.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited February 2014
    I hope the presence (and loudness) of background music will be situational, not continuous. If you are in an area generally considered safe, the music can be cheerful and serene - reflecting the relaxed atmosphere. As you move to unknown areas, music would be quieter, but have more of a beat - to reflect a sense of purpose. When diving into dangerous areas, music would initially have scary or ominous style for a while, but fade out to nothing - to reflect of your heightened senses, and allow you to hear the slightest sounds.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I hope the presence (and loudness) of background music will be situational, not continuous. If you are in an area generally considered safe, the music can be cheerful and serene - reflecting the relaxed atmosphere. As you move to unknown areas, music would be quieter, but have more of a beat - to reflect a sense of purpose. When diving into dangerous areas, music would initially have scary or ominous style for a while, but fade out to nothing - to reflect of your heightened senses, and allow you to hear the slightest sounds.
    I think you've pretty much nailed our plans for how we'd like to approach the music in the game.