Underwatery look

LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
By the screenshots it seems like you are not going to blur everything into a big blue mess like many other games do. This is great news because I like games that take you to lush, colorful, and exotic places. On the other hand (again judging by screenshots) the game doesn't look very underwater to me (yet). Currently it looks more like air, blue fog in the distance, and waves in the sky. The concept art somehow manages to convey being underwater despite not being all blurry blue. How do you do that Corey?!

So my question is: How are you going to make it look more underwater without sacrificing contrast?

I guess that adding floating stuff (fish, jellyfish, etc.) and marine vegetation would help a lot. Also perhaps ambient particles / clouds floating in the water might help perceiving the empty space as water. Oh and bubbles! Bubbles everywhere! Does a linear gradient of fog help (lighter blue near surface, darker blue near bottom)? What about light shafts? I'm pretty sure the perception of being underwater has something to do with lighting.

Comments

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I think all of those are valid things to try. Keep in mind though, we haven't released any in-game screenshots meant to represent the final thing :) Making it look underwatery is fairly low on my priority list right now. Making terrain and world generation better is #1.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    moultano wrote: »
    I had a proposal for this. :)http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133996/physically-accurate-fog-for-simulating-how-light-travels-underwater

I got inspired by the alpha shot to do a little research on how light travels under water, and I decided to work out the math of how you could render something physically accurate as an exercise. It was a lot of fun! Thought y'all would be interested. Here are my sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water#Color_of_lakes_and_oceans
    http://archimer.ifremer.fr/doc/00087/19819/17502.pdf
    http://www.mip.informatik.uni-kiel.de/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=1682

Woah, great research! I was surprised to see University of Kiel pop up in your references. That's were I was studying CompSci. The second author is my professor of Computer Graphics. He has lots of projects with the marine biology department and the Future Ocean initiative of the European Union. It all makes sense now.

Looking at their pictures it becomes quite clear that this is not what UWE wants because it results in very low contrast. But it certainly points in the right direction. Perhaps a tweak here and there or some interpolation of "usual" lighting and underwater lighting will do the trick. Interesting times!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, this is definitely something we are thinking about a lot, and doing some experiments with, but as Steve mentioned, we won't be able to go too far with getting the proper look and feel until his time becomes a little more free. This should be fairly soon.

Getting the right draw distance on the fog is going to be tricky. We certainly don't want the really pulled in, claustrophobic fog distance that most underwater games (and real life) has, as that would get really monotonous over a whole game, and also ruins some potentially cool and epic vistas. But pushing it too far out results in it not looking underwater, and also has performance implications.

Floating particulate in the water, light shafts, animating caustic effects, and bubbles and other underwatery FX will all be added to help with the feel, and we are hoping to get some depth of field blur in, as well, for stuff in the distance.

In general it is going to take a lot of experimentation to get underwater look that will work best for the game, but we are confident we'll get there.