Where did all these jerks come from?

TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow
A while ago someone posted on r/ns2 that everyone online playing NS2 is a jerk. Like many who commented, I scoffed at the notion. I even posted a comment saying they're all probably just some of the inevitable 10 year olds that bought the game during a steam sale. However, I haven't been playing as often as I used to for work/school/I was trying the whole outdoor thing for a while. Lately I've been jumping back in a few hours a week, and after watching the world championships this weekend I spend all day Sunday killing skulks. It was halfway through the day that I realized that newbie who posted on reddit that people who play online are jerks. Many of which are outright assholes.

When did this happen? I've never had this impression before. One of my favorite things about this game has always been the community. I feel that because of the learning curve associated with NS/NS2 only the more devoted players would stick around and all of the preteens who've banged my mom will get frustrated and run back to their arcade shooters. It was these devoted players who've always been mature and nurturing towards helping this game and community as a whole continue to grow and thrive match after match and year after year.

At least thats the way it used to be.

Now, at first I just figured they were your occasional troll who was quick to get banned or the god mode mentality players who blames his lack of skill on lag or the hax on his inability to pay attention and learn. Those guys are just inevitable in any game, especially one like NS2 that is growing by the day (and with every steam sale). But I quickly realized it was more than that. People were bitching and cursing out players for making a minor mistake. Sure, grabbing a welder as a Marine should be common sense, but does the guy deserve to be treated like shit over it? Maybe he hasn't played in months and just forgot, or is new to the game but prematurely clicked off his "Newbie" status.

This behavior wasn't just in a few games, but just about all of them. It's appalling. Your bitching just doesn't make this game fun. The way it should be, and the way it used to be, was people would simply talk to you and help you along. Giving advice. Now if the person kept making the same mistake time and time again, sure it'd get frustration. But c'mon people, this isn't an easy game to learn, and there's a lot to forget if you don't play that often.

Normally there were only one maybe two at the most who would just bitch and curse. Unfortunately it's these people that are usually the most vocal of all, and ultimately make the community as a whole look bad. If you're a new player, why would you want to devote your time to learning a game where people constantly berate you for making mistakes you didn't know you were making in the first place?

If you agree with me then please, take it upon yourself to police up your fellow player. If someone starts bitching, calmly talk them down, and then offer the noob player some friendly advice. Not only will this help them get better faster, but hopefully keep some people from raising their blood pressure and allow them to live longer. I mean, nothing gets your blood pumping faster than a trio of Onos smashing your main base's power supply, so we don't need them popping a blood vessel just because a guy forgot a welding torch.

I love this community, and I'd hate to see it morph into a club of pretentious assholes. I've quit playing games for less than that. At some point it's just not worth it. I'd really hate to quit this one.

Comments

• Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MrMuffinzMrMuffinz Somewhere in Iowa Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194395Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can see what you mean.

But it can also go both ways.
    There are some players who are completely oblivious to everything around you and sometimes that aggitates people.
    Especially when a commander tells a Rookie where to go and what to do and they either don't listen or do the opposite of what they are supposed to.

On the other hand, I just got bitched at in-game for the first time since I bought the game at release.
    Some people from that clan "DMD" joined a server I was playing on and all I said was "Wow, we really aren't doing that bad".
    Somehow they both took it the wrong way and they started calling me terrible and even tried to boot me.

Talk about rude.

In the end, it boils down to if people are willing to learn or listen, or just being plain rude for no reason.
    I have never seen anything else or any in-between.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I try to play on servers with regulars and better people. I usually don't run into this problem. I treat others how I want to be treated. Sometimes if I feel up to it, and I see somebody being a blatant jerk I will call them out by name about it. Often this leads to an argument where I win by saying in some variation "Can't you say it nicer?"
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @TheRev709, I saw that Reddit thread, and thought the same as you. I have put in 500 hrs in NS2 now, and am happy to say I haven't encountered ppl like you described. I do mainly play on the Australian servers (where the community is pretty small - we might fill 3-4 servers on a good night). So that makes it harder to troll as you get recognized very quickly. That said, I think our approach (to be nice to new comers is a really good one).

I make it a point whenever that are greens on either team to tell them to ask questions of the vets if they want to know anything). Its a way of showing we as a community welcome new players and are willing to help them enjoy the game more (as it does have a learning curve). It helps too when you are on the winning team as they can see first hand how team work wins you the game (or the uber Fade).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Like any multiple game with dedicated servers, its all about where you play that defines your experience, imo.
    I suggest scouting out the best communities out there, there are many, and one is definitely for you / to your tastes.
    If you jump into any random non-administered server, you're bound to have varying experiences in the quality of the players. (especially newer ones)

If its an official UWE server (or multiplay server) and someone is being an asshat, feel free to contact me on steam.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    TL;DR "I need to play on better servers."
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wellp, I cant say that I'm seeing it every day, but I do see it several times a week. It's not usually too bad, but there's a few players who I will never forget for their sheer douchery. Obviously not going to name and shame, but those kind are few and far between. And I cant pretend that I've never said "Wow... this team is just.... stupid..." cuz I remeber actually saying it today. But the fact is that my team was terrible. Nothing against any certain player, and I certainly wasn't upset and was not raging at all, just observing on my map marine after marine wondering solo into death after repeated calls for assistance on other side of map... but It's kinda like if you see cars speeding down an icy road then slamming on their brakes. You say to yourself "Wow... those cars are F****D." It's just an observation, nothing damning, but when they smash into each other, you're not surprised cuz you saw it coming.

Anyways what I'm getting at is that a little passion is okay, but I agree w/ OP that there is a fine line that is often crossed by veterans (and sometimes dudes w/ 12 hrs in game who think they know everything) w/ no patience for new/less experienced players.

All that said, if you're on a green server, there's pretty much no room for frustration. Be nice and breeeathe. White servers, though... I'm a lot less caring about people/comms who don't know what they're doing and can understand more rage on those servers, especially the vet only servers that get their occasional hapless Harry.

*If you're a hapless Harry reading this, please don't hop into chair on white server if you've never commed before... :D
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have noticed more rage since the introduction of the skill system, losing is more tangible now. It's hard when people get so passionate in the heat of battle or when players don't listen to a commander.

I play with a great bunch of guys regular and I can respect when they get in that frenzy. Chillax peeps, its a computer game.. have fun and remember you can't win them all. :)>-
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    edited March 2014
    edit: yeh I've noticed more idiots
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have found that on the 30-40 slot servers, there tends to be more troilling and a worse community, since it's hard to pinpoint anyone. When I play on the 20 and below servers, it seems to be a better experience. Unfortunately if you are looking for a spot to play, then people tend to risk going to the massive servers than end up on a 1-2 person server, where no play is likely to happen soon.

In the end though it's often better to wait 2 minutes on a lowpop server while it fills, than 10 minutes on a highpop server while you play some crappy game with trolling commanders and players.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I think there is a big difference in friendliness between official and non-official servers. No surprise there I guess, but I would rather stop playing ns2 than playing on official servers.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just ignore, that is what I do. Or if it keeps up I tend to get quite sarcastic at the expense of said rager. I usually just get very amused at them ragers and flamers. But that might be just me :P
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thank god UWE installed one of these into the game. I use it quite frequently in pubs...
    original.jpg
  • TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    Thank god UWE installed one of these into the game. I use it quite frequently in pubs...
    original.jpg

So do I, but its unfortunate. There was a time when I didn't have to..

• Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    on the aussie servers, besides the same 2-3 people that a known trolls, it's usually always the same pool of 80 or so players, with a few rookies who may-or may not- be deaf XD.

for the most part theres usually someone on a team willing to teach rookies instead of shouting at them. myself included.

• BeerTentBeerTent Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169639Members
    Welcome to playing Dystopia. I've noticed the trend too, and I'm not big on it considering I've paid for this one. But that's people for you, they ruin everything good.

The DMD guys are worthless, I prettymuch just automatically mute them when I see them. They are absolutely no value to getting a good game going as they seem to be on a hair trigger.

The part I don't get it, people do this complaining on green servers. Seriously? It's a rookie friendly game, why are you trying to make the situation worse? Sit down, and either leave, or guide. And guiding is not "wtf, noob. you got 100 res retard, get something or gtfo, fag!"

I've noticed one commander take a much more positive route of speaking, using more "good job's" and "We've done well" instead of the more common "We need X." or just getting frustrated like an 8 year old who didn't get his cookies in the supermarket. I think every commander should do this. People like encouragement, not a whiny little shit.

We got a good game here, let's not kill it for everyone else, okay?
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    edited February 2014
    Well, it's a courtesy thing as well. When I started playing the game, I looked up how to play, I looked up the buttons and whatnot.

Having bad timing and bad strategy? Fine, as long as you are new and learning.

Missing three bites in a row? Excusable now and then but you gotta work on your consistency.

Not knowing that you hit b to evolve? You're a lazy asshole who not only did not look at the tutorials that are on the front page but you didn't even look at your damned keybinds. If you respect a game that little and then expect other people to respect your play while you throw their game, you can fuck yourself. Go play league or wii games or something.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I miss 14 bites in a row after 1000 hours.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    duster wrote: »
    Well, it's a courtesy thing as well. When I started playing the game, I looked up how to play, I looked up the buttons and whatnot.

Having bad timing and bad strategy? Fine, as long as you are new and learning.

Missing three bites in a row? Excusable now and then but you gotta work on your consistency.

Not knowing that you hit b to evolve? You're a lazy asshole who not only did not look at the tutorials that are on the front page but you didn't even look at your damned keybinds. If you respect a game that little and then expect other people to respect your play while you throw their game, you can fuck yourself. Go play league or wii games or something.

Still "you might wanna go and look at the keybindings" will be more effective then "FUCKOFFDAMNNOOBRARAWWRA#WLWLAL".
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    MrMuffinz wrote: »
    Some people from that clan "DMD" joined a server I was playing on and all I said was "Wow, we really aren't doing that bad".
    Somehow they both took it the wrong way and they started calling me terrible and even tried to boot me.
    BeerTent wrote: »
    The DMD guys are worthless, I prettymuch just automatically mute them when I see them. They are absolutely no value to getting a good game going as they seem to be on a hair trigger.

Man I had no idea we were so mean. I know we're not all angels but don't let a few bad apples paint the whole picture. There's plenty of DMD players willing to help rookies when they join our servers and others who are less patient. Sorry you encountered the ladder. We've had our fair share of trolls attack both our servers and forums so I wouldn't be surprised if one used our tag to server hop and attempt to further tarnish our image by being an ass. Trolls have no limits these days.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Vengaboy wrote: »
    MrMuffinz wrote: »
    BeerTent wrote: »

Man I had no idea we were so mean. I know we're not all angels but don't let a few bad apples paint the whole picture. There's plenty of DMD players willing to help rookies when they join our servers and others who are less patient. Sorry you encountered the ladder. We've had our fair share of trolls attack both our servers and forums so I wouldn't be surprised if one used our tag to server hop and attempt to further tarnish our image by being an ass. Trolls have no limits these days.
    Agreed. I have seen many more good DMD guys compared to the bad ones.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Vengaboy wrote: »

I've had pretty identical experience w/ a few players. Again, not going to name and shame, but I don't think it's a coincidence that 2 other people have cited the same issue. Note that this was not even on DMD server. All I can say to these few guys, and no disrespect towards @vengaboy (respecatage totallage) is grow up and treat other players with a little respect. Even just a little would go a long way w/ some of these guys. Trolling/inflammatory vets who get away w/ it because they've got friends in the community is a prime example of how to be an petulant cancer to all others in such a small community.

I'd rather get beat up 20 times over than ever be as cocky, smug, and rude as some of the people I've encountered (same people repeatedly acting the same).

K, that said I've also played lots of enjoyable matches alongside and against some DMD dudes, but I never join the dmd serv even if I'm desperate for an open slot in a populated server. Just want to cut down on my chances of encountering a couple of these duders ever again.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    I would rather play on a server full of intelligent jerks that know what they are doing than on a server full of nice noobs that giggle each time they make the same mistakes over and over.

This is why we need more servers with higher skill requirements (such as Vexta's server), so the good and the bad can separate from each other. Some people are naturally more competitive than others, and the two extreme ends tend not to mix very well in ANY game.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Now if you spot any of these jerks out of their native environment (in game) and invading the forums, let me know.
    I have a razor that i use for both shaving, and shaving jerks.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    It's the internet. Expect this.

Different servers have different communities, but yes you are right that the general community is not what it used to be.
  • TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    It's the internet. Expect this.

Different servers have different communities, but yes you are right that the general community is not what it used to be.

Le sigh...

I'm too young for this shit. I've seen too many good bastions of maturity ruined by the infantile asshats who are emboldened by the anonymity of a username. I'm going to be a cynical old man.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    Greater Internet Jerk Theory

Normal Person (well, not all of them)+Anonymity+Audience=Total Jerk

Yes I edited the theory a bit.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The-Science-Behind-Shaping-Player

Jeffrey Lin from Riot Games (League of Legends) knows a thing or two about this.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Competitive games tend to be stress inducing. At times, they can bring out the worst in an otherwise reasonable person. Some people are unloading their real life frustration and some are just *****. NS2 is still civilised in comparison, want to be insulted for no reason? Go play a round or two of LoL or Data. Those are the kings of rage inducement :)