"Game files do not match the server's..."

CommanderDongsCommanderDongs Santa Cruz Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194088Members
"try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out."

I've verified my cache several times, even reinstalled the game onto the SSD to see if i'd get the same error (I did).

When I deleted all vdf's from the ns2 folder it allowed me to avoid seeing the Optimize Shaders request on load in, but it still gave me the above error after trying to join a server.

http://www.filedropper.com/ns2techsupport

There's the Techsupport.exe zip, I don't know what else i'm not doing, and i've read a bunch of threads from different forums, mostly saying the same thing.

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    OK,

if you look at your log you'll see a few things:

1. Your client strangly tries to connect to multiple servers while running the optimzation
    2. Mutliple files of ns2 seem to be corrupted:
    Error: File 'models/props/generic/generic_crate_01.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'materials/refinery/refinery_floor_13_normal.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_stalagtite_04.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'materials/refinery/refinery_rock_bottom_normal.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_bigpipes_02.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_tram_doorframe1.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_tram_doors_normal.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_door_loading.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_snow_spec.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_grating_01.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_outerwall_b.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/summit/summit_reactor_tower_normal.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_common_normal.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_common.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_ventmods_normal.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'materials/refinery/refinery_wall_01.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/refinery/refinery_skytowersa_spec.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: Couldn't load texture 'materials/eclipse/Eclipse_Hallway_02_D5_spec.dds' (File not found)

I would recommend a full nuke of ns2 in your case: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/
  • CommanderDongsCommanderDongs Santa Cruz Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194088Members
    The log is a series of attempts of mine to load into servers. The whole game does not crash, it just gives me the errors and I tried a few just to be sure.

I've reinstalled multiple times, on different drives entirely with the same problem, and with my shoddy connection it literally takes overnight for me to get a fresh install in. There's gotta be something else...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    The log is a series of attempts of mine to load into servers. The whole game does not crash, it just gives me the errors and I tried a few just to be sure.

I've reinstalled multiple times, on different drives entirely with the same problem, and with my shoddy connection it literally takes overnight for me to get a fresh install in. There's gotta be something else...

Yeah you could delete those files which fail the consistency check yourself and validate after that every time.
    But that could also take alot of time to do.

How you do this:

1. Try to connect to a server
    2. Search for errors like this in the log
    Error: File 'models/props/generic/generic_crate_01.dds' failed consistency check!
    3. Delete the given files. Here in the example <Ns2 Install Folder>/ns2/models/props/generic/generic_crate_01.dds
    4. Validate the game cache

Repeat at 1 until you don't get any errors anymore

Still a full nuke is the only way to be on the safe side ;)
  • CommanderDongsCommanderDongs Santa Cruz Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194088Members
    I guess my question is, how is a "full nuke" any different than a completely fresh install on a new drive ?

The "just re-install and run again" option is getting old, seeing as how i've done it three times on this drive alone. And all those consistency check fails are after i've validated the files multiple times.

I just don't understand what the root of the problem is, or how doing the same thing over again will produce a different result.

Thanks for your help =]
    edited February 2014
    I guess my question is, how is a "full nuke" any different than a completely fresh install on a new drive ?

The "just re-install and run again" option is getting old, seeing as how i've done it three times on this drive alone. And all those consistency check fails are after i've validated the files multiple times.

I just don't understand what the root of the problem is, or how doing the same thing over again will produce a different result.

Thanks for your help =]

A full nuke makes sure nothing is left of ns2 at your local pc before reinstalling ns2.

Validating should get yourself rid off corrupted files but the past has sadly shown that somehow often validating doesn't work. Why exactly noone knows (seems like it only checks for missing files ...) .

The root of your issue is the consistency check:

To get rid of cheaters and other "bad ppl" ns2 compares the client files (via hash tables ) with the server files every time a client tries to connect if those files differ the server will block of the client and ns2 shows the client the message you get.

Of cause clients also fail the check if client and server have different ns2 build or mods running.

BTW: Client mods the server don't allow by the consistency check should normally disable themself ;)

Also mods and configs are not removed if you reinstall ns2 so if those cause any issues the issue will stay after a reinstall and you only can get rid off those by a full nuke.

I didn't just told you to do a nuke because i was kinda "lazy or bored" by your issue but because every other option would be more work and need some more time. :)

You can try to fix your ns2 setup by doing what i posted before but that might take alot time and i can't guarantee you that then all issues will be gone.

So overall a full nuke is kinda the only way to get rid off all corrupted files and setting to be safe thats its not the ns2 software itself which causes this issue.

Tbh i would be suprised if your issue would stay after a full nuke.

And if it stays you have some serious problems with either some kind of anti virus suite, background programm,system driver or your hdd.

But as you only have those issues with ns2 so far that seems like not really the case here ;)
  • KARYURAKARYURA FRANCE Join Date: 2014-02-17 Member: 194116Members
    Hi evryone

Since the last update, I tried to "optimize" the game as it is asked to me but I have exactly the same problem
    "Game files do not match the server's try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out."

The log file indicates the folowing errors :
    Error: File 'models/marine/male/male.model' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/marine/female/female.model' failed consistency check!
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.

I searched in this forum and in the web to solve these problems

I tried to :
    - delete the worshop folder
    - remove the files and download them by checking the integrity of the files via steam as explained here by GhoulofGSG9
    - do the full nuke (remove all file from my computer and reinstall the game from steam) as explained by GhoulofGSG9

But I continue to have the problem

I can't understand how the male and female models can fail the consistency check
    And why the methods that I used couldn't solve this

Please help me

Thank you for your time!
    "Full nuke" did not clear the error, same exact type too.

I just want to play NS2 =[

Should I repost the new techsupport log?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There is a lot of mis-understanding regards the 'full-nuke'.

As you have stated, you installed NS2 on a new drive, so why has the issue returned and why should a 'full-nuke' work? well, a 'full-nuke' won't work, it won't make any difference at all and is a waste of time.

Why is it a waste of time?

Steam saves all your files into the cloud. Every file you have under that directory, every modification (including corruptions to your files), is uploaded to the cloud. When you re-install, guess what happens?

Steam downloads your cloud files for you. You then end up with exactly the same error as you had before, even if you are installing on a completely new hard drive. The only time the 'full-nuke' works, is when your problem was actually within the config files.

To remove any corrupted files, you must also turn off cloud sync, BEFORE you uninstall NS2. By turning off cloud sync, Steam forgets about the files you have, and then when you re-install, it creates a fresh vanilla install. This should resolve issues of corrupt files etc.

You can then turn cloud sync back on, and everything is gravy. Having been through this many times myself, I can assure you, that without the cloud sync step, all you are doing is wasting time and bandwidth.

I had no NS2 or PC for 8 months, when I built a new PC, and installed NS2, all my old mod files I had been working on, were sat on my new PC under the NS2 directory. It was a bit of a shock, until I eventually discovered cloud-sync.

If with the cloud sync steps, you still have issues, there is nothing further I can offer, but corruption should be completely solved with this important step.
    thank you for your answer

unfortunately when I performed the nuke the cloud was turned off for NS2

• GorgeClooneyGorgeClooney Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194144Members
    KARYURA wrote: »
    Hi evryone

The log file indicates the folowing errors :
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.

I searched in this forum and in the web to solve these problems

I tried to :
    - delete the worshop folder
    - remove the files and download them by checking the integrity of the files via steam as explained here by GhoulofGSG9
    - do the full nuke (remove all file from my computer and reinstall the game from steam) as explained by GhoulofGSG9

But I continue to have the problem

Since the last game update i encounter the same problem, the game is unplayable for me.. first round works, after a map change i get disconnected and cant reconnect (on any server) until i perfom a game restart

VERY annoying bug.. also the same files marine/male and marine/female..

Any official statement? Is the bug known? Fixes in sight?

• DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Just for the record, i had this bug when patch went out. I figured out it was because NS2 was locked in beta version, even though i never asked him to switch to beta branch :/.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    After build 263 came out , the only server i join not have this"Not match file" Error is Hyperion Gaming , other wise UWE offical server and other have same bug

After play one map >> fine
    Loading or server change map >>> disconnect and "Your game file not match bla bal"

Seem UWE everytime got new build >> new error come out and have to fix
    Before Dropship , i play game fine even with mods crossair
    please fix this , everytime i played one map fine then server change map and got disconnect to main menu
    "Your game file doesnt match server or an update just came out ><"

I have to restart the game NS2 to play again , this is so annoying and not happen before Dropship 263 update
    Just to be clear, i've reinstalled with and without the sync enabled, i've verified countless times, and still the same damn error.

This has been months for me, not just any patch lately. I'm only just now mentioning it because i'm very frustrated that nothing else online works.

Help us UWE-wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    We don't have enough info to fix anything..
    As we cannot reproduce this issue ourselves
    Need more info from users here.

Some have said connecting to official UWE servers leads to no issues... I need everyone to verify this.
    If this is the case.. then its the server you are joining which is out of date and has yet to be updated.
    So far as I can tell, I get it for every single server I join, with no mods, installed on a new drive.

I'll attach the techsupport.zip
    edited February 2014
    http://www.filedropper.com/techsupportns2

Let me know if I can give you any more info

edit: For clarification, hit the grey download button and complete the captcha for the zip.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    the log you provided shows you connecting to a server with mods. Albiet an updated server. (because i know that server)
    Downloading mods
    Queuing download of 'TGNS'
    Queuing download of 'Shine Administration'
    Queuing download of 'Buy Menu Hotkeys'
    Starting download of 'Shine Administration'
    Queuing download of 'Grenade Tweaks'

But the exact files that had issues:

Error: File 'models/props/generic/terminals/generic_terminals_03_illum.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/props/biodome/biodome_terminals_03_spec.dds' failed consistency check!
    Error: File 'models/marine/observatory/observatory.model' failed consistency check!

Disable steam cloud for NS2 (right click NS2 in steam > properties > updates > uncheck the box for steam cloud)
    Then Find those files in your computer and manually delete them.
    Now right click NS2 and verify integrity of cache.
    It should download those 3 files... if it doesn't.. your installation is still messed up somehow.
    I already had the sync disabled before I reinstalled (for the second time after having opened this thread), I manually deleted the files listed above, then verified again for the countless time.

Open the game, try to load into something:

"Your game files do not match the server's, try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out."

This is ridiculous, and i'm more sad than frustrated, because above all I just want to play some NS2 =[

It happens no matter the server I join, though it is interesting to note that all the servers are either completely empty, have 1/16 people, or completely full. I don't know if that's normal, but I seriously can't figure out any reason why all servers would not be compatible.

Plase halp!
    thank you for your answers
    Open the game, try to load into something:

"Your game files do not match the server's, try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out."

It's exactly the same for me

please help us
  • LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    edited February 2014
    As of B263 I have the same error message, i belive i know in some way what is causing it for me, and i have a fix.

Every single time i join a server playing a custom map, the game fails during the map loading screen and i get the "Your game files do not match the server's, try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out." error message.
    After which i cannot join any server on any map with out getting the same message during the map loading screen. (did not try every single server obviously)

TO FIX : Go into your options menu, change your lighting to LOW quality, hit apply, then change your light quality back to HIGH, then apply again. The opposite may work aswell, as in, from low to high then back to low again.
    After doing this, i can join any server playing any official map, running any mod. No game restart required

I figured this out because the first time i got the error message, i had joined a custom map that informed me that LOW quality lighting was not supported, and it was going to force the game back to standard or high quality lights. I remembered this message, and tried messing with the settings, with success !

Is it worth posting specs ?

They.
    edited February 2014
    @commanderdongs
    And did steam download those 3 files?? You did not say.
    Also, please provide a new log or print out of the files that failed after every attempt.

Everyone try lorfcaster's suggestion please
    Even though i don't think it will help with missing models, like some are experiencing
    this error make me have to play one map on server >> then disconnect and restart Ns2 from Steam to play again
    On console , there is many code like "Error file infestation.dll failed consitency checking " ????

please fix this , or we have to wait until NS2WC2014 over ? :))
    there is 2 post about this problem

seem like more and more players encounter this with out mods or with mod
    any mod UWE talk about this?
    I try as LOFCASTER say above you IronHorse >>> Not work at all

Still one map load >> second map disconnect and say in console many marine/skull/shade model file.dll is failed consitency checking ?????
    Thank you LOFCASTER and ironhorse
    I tried all the methods that I found but it is hopeless
    And what wrote soul_Rider seems correct
    Even with a full nuke reinstall
    My parameters (inputs ...) were the same that those that I set before
    I seems difficult for us to solve this matter by our own means

For my part and contrary to Goliath Vietnam I have the error message by trying the optimisation required by the game since the last update and by trying to log to any server (even the sandbox with bots)
    It's impossible for me to play the game since the last update

I hope that the next update will solve this matter but it's a shame that I can't play this game

thank you all

We are using a new means to do consistency checking so it seems like it is failing for some users for some reason..
    I have no clue how to reproduce this for us to fix it, however, and there is very little information to go on other than its not working for some of you.

Hmmm..
    Can those of you having this problem please state whether you have NS2 installed on the same hard drive as your OS and what type / model of HD you are using?
    edited February 2014
    marine/skull/shade model file.dll
    There is no such file or even a folder........
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Also, please provide a new log or print out of the files that failed after every attempt.

Im using WindowXP SP3 final , Ram 4Gb Nvidia GT440 , CPU Intel core I3 2,6ghz
    I dont know but everytime it disconnect after server change map , i open console and see many line of code

"Kind of like many model is failed consitency checking.dll"
    This is never happen before ( Yeah i know 32bit crash too , very common for NS2 update , but thanks UWE team have fix it) :))
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I get the problem only with these two files and on several non-official servers (I don't play on official servers):

Today I shut down ns2 after this error occured:
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    I am just wondering why the message was displayed twice. Shouldn't a file be checked once and good? And why is the file not always causing problems?

The game is saved on a different HDD than the OS. It's a normal Western Digital 500GB HDD.

Since the same time the problem occured, I have to join every server twice, because the first time it always says "could not establish connection with the server" what is bs. Could that be related somehow? Maybe some server-player communication is faulty...

And if it is a consistency check problem, why does it happen with the two above mentioned standard files? Did b263 change something on the models? Can't recall reading sth about that. I'm frustrated as usual, but hey, that happens if you don't programm for a console, right? Can't say I ever encountered a game that had constantly so many issues after upgrades as ns2 in over 22 years of gaming.