My post-NS2WC post

Comments

• GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    In my eyes the best evidence of the AWESOMENESS that was the 1st NS2WC:
    The 3 non-ns2 playing friends (of which 2 female) which i brought to the live event LOVED it.
    I mean, imagine that: hours of watching something you hardly understand and still enjoying yourself.

My deepest apologies for skipping the after-party (my fever is under control now).

Let's stamp those feet for the organizing committee!!

Yeah I threw a Superbowl party type event at my apartment to watch this. No one who came plays the game (about 10 people in total) and they all had a blast. I think that this was in no small part due to the excellent casting. RedDog, Wasabi and Blind all manage to get really call out the interesting stuff, and get excited enough that if you don't have a good grasp of the game you still recognize when something important is happening.

Good Job all around!

One criticism I would have is the woman doing the art contest. It wasn't necessarily her fault, I just think the presentation of the art as it was coming in, and the decision to limit the finals to 3 felt kind of amateurish. While I think this was a minor part of the games, and understandably deserved less production design it felt under-produced compared to the rest of the event.

Also I was sad there were no Gorge Races :-(
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    In my eyes the best evidence of the AWESOMENESS that was the 1st NS2WC:
    The 3 non-ns2 playing friends (of which 2 female) which i brought to the live event LOVED it.
    I mean, imagine that: hours of watching something you hardly understand and still enjoying yourself.

My deepest apologies for skipping the after-party (my fever is under control now).

Let's stamp those feet for the organizing committee!!

FEVER!? YOU OPENED ALL MY BEERS!... I thought all my aches and pains were from the hangover :P
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Quick question: Is there any complete recording of the WC? I couldn't watch the event live, now finally had a minute and checked twitch and youtube, the only thing i can find are 2 fragments on twitch.tv/naturalselection2 which seem to start in the middle of the titus vs saunamen game 5 minutes in. So am I missing something or what happened?
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    driest wrote: »
    Quick question: Is there any complete recording of the WC? I couldn't watch the event live, now finally had a minute and checked twitch and youtube, the only thing i can find are 2 fragments on twitch.tv/naturalselection2 which seem to start in the middle of the titus vs saunamen game 5 minutes in. So am I missing something or what happened?

CLick on past broadcasts and there should be about 4 different clips of different length. The last one (four hours long) should have every game after the saunamen/titus series.

• driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thank you, the videos tab on the right side does not seem to have any logical sorting so i assumed the 2 displayed videos were all that was available.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Well that was very enjoyable.

Could someone please tell Obraxis to leave my bag at the reception? Cheers!
  • BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
    edited February 2014
    Also, cheers to the Legendary Snail who threw a round of burgers. That was just super, greatly appreciated.
    After this evening, the snails might have a new fan in me, not only for playing great, but for being great, kind people.
    Also, <G>Aioros for being super friendly. Better luck next time.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Unfortunately I had to leave for work right as snails tied it up w/ titus on veil, but looking forward to catching the rest on VODs. Congrats to the humble winners and happy skulking to all.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    good games and great finals - congrats to all involved, it was a great tournament and an enjoyable stream to watch at 3am - the quality of the games certainly helped some of us stay awake :)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    I must say, the NS2WC was money well spent imo. It was everything I wanted it to be.

There MUST be a next time.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm glad to have donated to such an awesome event, I had a complete blast in Cologne. There was this one light they kept shining into the audience after the games, which resulted in me getting a bit of a headache, and because of that I wasn't really able to talk to all the people I wanted to at the afterparty, but that's my only regret. And thanks to everyone out there for waiting for my slow-moving, crutch-wielding ass to catch up to the group on the way to the studio and the restaurant. :D

See you in Cologne!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There was this one light they kept shining into the audience after the games

+1 what was that light even good for?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Muwhahaha I get to post last Reddog! Thank you again everyone
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Muwhahaha I get to post last Reddog! Thank you again everyone

No you dont

:P
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Howser wrote: »
    FEVER!? YOU OPENED ALL MY BEERS!... I thought all my aches and pains were from the hangover :P

Sorry about that @Howser. Too make sure it never happens again:

The 'How to open Reissdorf Kolsch with a lighter' guidebook.

Step one: what you need.
    image.jpg

Step two: The grip: tight & high
    image.jpg

Step three: placing the lighter. Use your finger joint for extra leverage.
    image.jpg

Step four: apply pressure like a man
    image.jpg

Step five: PLOP! FCKYEH!
    image.jpg

Step six: Ahhh Cheers!
    image.jpg
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Would it be too much to ask to start donations for NS2WC 2015? Imagine the money we can raise in a year. We raised $16000 in a month. Do the math.

12 months at $16000 a month = $192,000

Imagine the show we could have with that amount of money raised.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Ah thats a very useful trick!... and another thing to add to my CV. Cheers! :P
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Howser wrote: »

Sorry about that @Howser. Too make sure it never happens again:

The 'How to open Reissdorf Kolsch with a lighter' guidebook.

Step one: what you need.
    image.jpg

Step two: The grip: tight & high
    image.jpg

Step three: placing the lighter. Use your finger joint for extra leverage.
    image.jpg

Step four: apply pressure like a man
    image.jpg

Step five: PLOP! FCKYEH!
    image.jpg

Step six: Ahhh Cheers!
    image.jpg

Step seven:
    Throw that watered down piss away and repeat with a proper beer. :P
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Would it be too much to ask to start donations for NS2WC 2015? Imagine the money we can raise in a year. We raised $16000 in a month. Do the math.

12 months at $16000 a month = $192,000

Well calculating funding isn't quite as strait forward as all that unfortunately. The passionate and involved people willing to donate a lot to the event were probably tapped out. It is more about the total pool of money available, and realistically they probably got a pretty high percentage already. I think increasing corporate sponsorship using the success of this years event is a better long term funding source.

One advantage this coming year would be how successful this event was, skeptics who didn't donate because they weren't sure it would happen or weren't sure if what they got would be to the standards they desired could look at this years event and feel assured. So that should help.

Also corporate funding played a huge part for this event, It wouldn't have happened if Intel and Nvidia didn't chip in. I am not sure what kind of eyeballs they were promised as far as viewership but my guess is they got what they were looking for so that should help justify future sponsorship as well.

So I guess in Short, $192k is not realistic, but a higher number and more or the same corporate sponsorship is. I feel like this could be done again, and you guys could count on my money this time for sure.
    @Geekavenger I don't think Nexus' post was that serious :D

Although I'd happily donate for next year's WC!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    That was just a brief calculation with assuming a standard linear growth, which obviously isn't completely realistic. However, I would imagine, using some momentum from the recent WC stream lots of people would donate or donate again towards next year's WC. If they replaced the Reinforced Program with a WC donation program, I guarantee you would see at least $50,000 over the course of the year. You would see a larger prize pool, possibly larger venue with more room for spectators, and this one is a stretch, but maybe a US based WC so more Americans could see the event live and meet the community face to face. One can dream.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Finally home, still installing drivers on my new mobo (last one got fried thursday).

GUYS I CAN'T GESTURE THROUGH THIS TEXT SHIT.

PLS.

I YELL REALLY LOUDLY.

Thanks everyone that invited me to beers, and also to the people I refused beers from (because I was drinking quite a bit already). Man, beer is cheap in germany.

Also, sorry to everyone for the poor show we (Godar) put up, next time we'll perform, I promise :<

Fun fact, and I get to tell the story before my teammates shame me publically. We were talking about what we were going to do if we won the coinflip, and everyone quickly said: "marines", with no further discussion we switched to what map we'd choose, with a number of mentions to tram. At that moment I was drinking beer like crazy and my brain was in power saving mode, so since "tram" was said a bunch of times, the next day when we actually won the coinflip I chose tram.

Getting back to my team I say: "We play tram, they pick marines" and they obviously asked me: "Did we lose the coinflip?" - "...no?"

:D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You would see a larger prize pool, possibly larger venue with more room for spectators, and this one is a stretch, but maybe a US based WC so more Americans could see the event live and meet the community face to face. One can dream.

One can dream, but if you Imagine how much it cost to get just one American team out to Europe, imagine having to get at least 3 European teams out to America next time :P
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow

I'll tell you the first thing - I would have my own room! Though, rooming with Zefram and Virsoul wasn't bad at all. I felt bad for Virsoul tho, as Zef and I epically battled each other at snoring all night! :D

And Mendasp - truly hilarious. Do you remember the faces Zef and I gave you when you won and chose Tram? Hahah. Priceless...