Improve or remove the performance column

JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
This thing doesn't work. It never has. It lies.

If it was up to me servers that ever went below 29.9 tickrate wouldn't appear on the server browser at all. The experience on these servers is painful. But leaving servers that have tickrate fluctuations between 10 - 30 and seeing them boasting a proud 100% in the performance column makes me feel sick inside.

It's really just tricking people into thinking servers are worth more than they are, and that this is how the game really is. Given the absolutely absurd server requirements a tool that properly gives a brief snapshot into how a server actually performs in a standard NS2 round is key into actually getting into a game that isn't rendered unplayable by terribly performing servers.

Funnily enough all the populated official servers are reporting an even 23% performance right now. Multiplay, official server provider of Natural Selection 2.

Comments

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    It should show an avarage tickrate of the last minute or so.

It doesn't lie, it only shows the performance at the point it was fetched for that server, if you click on the server in the list it updates and shows the current value, but as for it's purpose it's pretty misleading if it shows every server at 100 most of the time.
    Well, servers could theoretically lie about their tickrate, but no servers do this at the moment as far as I'm aware.

Also, if you don't want to show every server that ever went below 29.9, there is a shortcut: simply filter out all servers, since there is no server that can actually hold that value perfectly (round ends or resets/mapchange will cause drops)
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    I agree that the system drastically needs to be fixed. It's extremely annoying to hop on and have the only local populated servers be some of the laggiest servers in the game.

If they could fix the performance indicator to give an accurate reading of server performance, then maybe people would stop keeping these ultra crappy servers populated 24/7/365 and instead migrate to servers that run decently.

Hyperion for example is a server that should NEVER be populated... It's performance is so bad it's a joke, yet it's full all the time.