[Release] ns2_Jambi

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Prefer the normal lighting.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Moultano is definitely on to something, I don't think your supposed to take his examples as literally being better, than their originial forms on jambi, it's just concrete examples about his feedback, I like the original pictures better aswell, but I can see where he is going with it, and it could improve the map in many ways.

It will need more adjustments and fine tuning than Moultano's quick "stab", remember to read what people write ^^
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    Well I suppose it5 doesn't matter anyway as the nsl lights will still be there. Go nuts.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Vert^ wrote: »
    Moultano is definitely on to something, I don't think your supposed to take his examples as literally being better, than their originial forms on jambi, it's just concrete examples about his feedback, I like the original pictures better aswell, but I can see where he is going with it, and it could improve the map in many ways.

It will need more adjustments and fine tuning than Moultano's quick "stab", remember to read what people write ^^

Yeah, keep in mind, I was doing this by painting over the screenshots in gimp.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    I have to agree, it looks like someone went with the 4 huge light approach when lighting jambi. It needs more colors and greens and oranges.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    While I appreciate all your feedback, I personally will not be making any cosmetic updates to Jambi, as I do not have the time to do it.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why were all the vents in Supply blocked off?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    I looked around Jambi is the editor and there wasn't anything that stood out that needed changing. IMHO Jambi is like Docking for me. There's just something I can't put my finger on about the map that makes me dislike playing the map.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    Imo best map created by modders so far. Great lighting techniques (revised lighting seems a bit too exaggerated though), great room design, and seems to have good flow of combat.
    Jekt wrote: »
    Why were all the vents in Supply blocked off?

Balance and bug reasons. Balance: It was too easy for skulks to ambush marines. Bug: You could cancel blueprinted res nodes from running underneath.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I looked around Jambi is the editor and there wasn't anything that stood out that needed changing. IMHO Jambi is like Docking for me. There's just something I can't put my finger on about the map that makes me dislike playing the map.

It is harder to route block on jambi because there is one extra lane that is tough to account for. I don't know how that is relevant to docking but there you go.

coolitic wrote: »
    Imo best map created by modders so far. Great lighting techniques (revised lighting seems a bit too exaggerated though), great room design, and seems to have good flow of combat.

Thank you. There was a lot of collaboration with the NS2 community and the mappers to ensure these qualities :D
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I want to check it out right now, but unfortunately I cannot play NS2 for a while because my video card shorted my pc so im stuck on igp. =C
  • UroborosUroboros Join Date: 2013-12-11 Member: 189991Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Playing on Jambi today I noticed an absolutely massive FPS drop in Skylights. What's up with that? I just went in and took some screens and it cut my fps in half when I was in Sandbox mode. When I was on a public server it dropped my FPS to 20 from 100+

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like it might be an occlusion problem to me.

EDIT: No, just checked it out for myself. Occlusion seems fine. But I did notice the draw calls jump waaayyy up in that area (~2000 from 500-600s)

I noticed in r_stats that there are also a lot of lights and models visible in that one spot you mention.
    Uroboros wrote: »
    Playing on Jambi today I noticed an absolutely massive FPS drop in Skylights. What's up with that? I just went in and took some screens and it cut my fps in half when I was in Sandbox mode. When I was on a public server it dropped my FPS to 20 from 100+

It's not really a bug. There is a line of sight across multiple rooms, causing the game to render a few rooms in those spots.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    MalGanis2 wrote: »
    Stuck Spots:

For the love of Gorges, please please put your images in the spoiler tag.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    So is anything going on with Jambi still? Be a shame to leave it half-finished as it is now. :(
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    So is anything going on with Jambi still? Be a shame to leave it half-finished as it is now. :(

Unfortunately there is no current redesign of Jambi. The map will continue to have bug fixes and stuck spot fixes for now.

There may be a redesign in the future (Whether it is done by me or another group). If anyone is interested just shoot me a message.

Thank you for your continuing interest.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm usually not someone to complain about performance, but there is a really, really severe fps drop in skylights that you should take a look at.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited May 2014
    moultano wrote: »
    I went through the map today with the sole intention of figuring out what you could easily change to make the map look better.

I came to the conclusion that the lighting is the #1 culprit. There's lots of good geometry, and some good texturing. In terms of bang for your buck, the biggest thing you can improve is the lighting.
    [...]

I agree that the lightning could be far better without working hard on it (Peace 'o' cake). But more light (brighter) will kill this map definitively.

Light must be use with caution for several reasons:
    -Skulks need dark areas (crucial in early game). Jambi is desperately in need of dark spots. Any marine that check corners properly never gets in real danger.
    -Too much lights (game entities) can slow rendering (NSL maps are modifications of original maps to reduce number of lights as an example).

More atmospheric will also do the same. Not to mention the ppl that deactivate every graphic setting to see things better.

I would say :
    -More contrast (to get the dark areas).
    -More color... A soul.

Then stays the 'X' issue but that is for another topic.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    More light does not necessarily mean brighter. I think he basically meant the same as you. (Jambi really has no soul)
    edited May 2014
    I'm usually not someone to complain about performance, but there is a really, really severe fps drop in skylights that you should take a look at.

@f0rdprefect can you please take a SS of the exact locations with r_stats 1 on and please message me.

I don't get massive fps drops but my draw calls spike up to 1800 in some areas.
    A SS?

Does that have time until the weekend? I am currently making backups to set my PC up freshly later today.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I was taking the route through the pub, supply lines and EC. I was getting fps fluctuating around ~67. In EC, it went as low as 60.

c9c637c2a466a574746fbb76f77fa9.jpg

Once I looked right at this position, fps would drop to 40. The following screenshot shows where it's worst, with fps going as low as 33:

d521b64b967f29e2ccb169e2ba2700.jpg

In the whole skylights area, my fps were in the 30s and 40s and would not exceed 50.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    yeah, everybody's pretty much accepted that skylights causes massive fps drop for some reason. if you angle your view in some specific directions it gets really low.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wonder if you could see the problem with wireframe on.
    edited May 2014
    Things I have noticed looking around in the level file
    1) There's a lot of really big lights that light a room, similar to how you would light a map when it's first greyboxed, "1 light per rom" approach.
    2) People like "pretty shiny" things, it appears "flat and boring" because there is not enough lights that use specular/reflection probes.
    3) Skylights appears to be fine, no idea why people would get poor performance.
    4) There's not enough "natural light", with lights coming from props to light rooms
    5) No biodome glass (people like shiny), but reasonably so, never made any sense in Refinery to have shiny glass.

Examples of tiny changes that make a noticable difference +- a few lights
    old http://i.imgur.com/gmkLAxp.jpg new http://i.imgur.com/xbsiqKG.jpg
    old http://i.imgur.com/gsFI24k.jpg new http://i.imgur.com/EJGTFlb.jpg
    old http://i.imgur.com/MTKRXcm.jpg new http://i.imgur.com/Q9GZPIn.jpg
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Its not an occlusion geo issue.
    There is a duplication of the spot lights in "skylights" (external lights outside of the ceiling windows)
    Removing those excess lights will net you some more FPS
    On top of this the lighting settings there can be tweaked a bit (spot lights) to gain additional FPS