Dropship Update (263) Released - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MvpMvp Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187157Members
    Why no Mac OS X support?
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    "Vote Force even teams" - YES!
  • DerAndereDerAndere Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75815Members
    edited February 2014
    Congratulations UWE! This update is awesome. I have an old system, and my FPS are up from barely going above 40 to 65! And the loading times feel like they are halved. I ran the optimization once (no bug that makes the game wanting to run the optimization again and again) and was in a game really quick. Big News.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Major bug needs patch ASAP:

9:05 PM - Red-One: the force even teams vote
    9:05 PM - Red-One: people kept calling the vote mid match and it was passing
    9:05 PM - Red-One: people were spam respawning/flipping sides
    9:05 PM - Red-One: caused ghost bodies
    9:06 PM - Red-One: in the first few minutes someone went up to 46 kills constantly killing ghost bodies, lol

After a few min the game locked up, unfortunately it did not crash so it was just frozen until manually restarted.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @jekt
    "Skulks not being silent is such a huge balance change. "

I would agree with this - but disagree with your assessment of the hallucination impacts given the internal tests we had in the prior weeks. (YEEESH!)
    I obviously also agree regarding the volume based on distance.

"Any skulk at a high level knew how to abuse the system "
    So while it has an obvious impact on balance at higher levels, you sort of point to exactly why this change was made. Not to mention the sound cut offs for the wall jumps were just jarring and sounded like trash.

I obviously can't speak on why it was changed now instead of after WC, but I do like the change overall.
    And who knows.. maybe it will sway the win rates in a more even direction. *shrug*
    Just chiming in to agree about hallucinations. They were way too radical of a change to have right before a major tournament finals. I like the change a lot, and we're hoping it comes in (with some tweaks) after WC is over, but man did we have a hard time dealing with it in testing.

We've asked about the skulk volume issue repeatedly, and were told it was not a bug every time. I don't really know what to say at this point.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    I was on that game as well. Once the force even teams passed, it basically spammed my screen with me switching back and forth between teams. 1 sec I was a marine then a alien then alien again, then marine, and it did this like 20 times before it settled down. It left a lot of ghost bodies. Then by the 2nd and third time the force even teams passed we experienced sever micro stuttering before the server locked up and red plugged everyone

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited February 2014
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    lol, this new vote "forceeventeams" is terrible, not only does it sometimes leave teams uneven, i can't even disable it as server admin, i've tried two commands in serverconfig.json but assuming i'm guessing them wrong or there isn't a way to disable it yet?

OFC you can in ServerConfig.json:
    "voting": {
                "votekickplayer": true
                "votingforceeventeams": false,
                "votechangemap": true,
                "voterandomizerr": true,
                "voteresetgame": true
            },

lol, they changed the wording from vote to voting, nice consistency there.

Thanks for the information, now i can turn the crap off, the in game voting system has always been broken.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    I don't get that. Skulks not being silent is such a huge balance change. I don't think improved hallucination AI comes close to how the average game of NS2 is going to be effected. Any skulk at a high level knew how to abuse the system to only ever make sound on the first jump in a chain to get around any map nearly completely silently at top speed. Currently you can hear a skulk in mezz from south tunnels.

Also regarding the skulk sounds, I agree that they're too loud. But why wasn't the regular walljumping noises (first and second growl) simply made audible to marines instead of using the normal jumping sound?

Excuse the terrible walljumping, the new sounds are throwing me off! Skip to 30ish if you like.

It sounds like 3 different noises are being played at once; second growl, regular jump and touching surface effects. The effect sounds are being cut off before completing and some very noticeable volume changes throughout.

The walljumping sounds being cut off when chaining was in the previous builds, but it's so much more noticeable now with other effects stuffed in.

Stickler for sound. This probably won't annoy most people.
    +1
    Please fix the LOUD Skulk sounds.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In addition to the reports of team balance votes causing lag, ghost players etc. ... yesterday, we were on a full server, teams were kind of stacked, an "even teams" vote came up, and the moment it passed, the server crashed. No notable effects on the client side... I red-plugged, got a timeout, reconnected, and saw that the server had restarted.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Performance feels worse and the new skulk sound fucks up my zen. It literally is the same as no sound skulk in that you can't heard anything, but with additional racket that gives you a headache.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skulks are to loud now. When try to balance alien wins, skulks are not the ones that need nerfing. The "silent on jump"-bug needed to be fixed, yes. But hearing them from 2 rooms away? That doesn't even feel right. It's... surreal. Actually it sounds like a bug. You would never guess that a human being could hear the footsteps of such a lightweight creature that far.

Vote force even teams sounds really nice, but I couldn't get people convinced to vote for it. Or when, some stackers changed teams after the vote passed and the next steam roll was ensured. It needs to actually FORCE teams for that round. Also sad to hear that it bugs out some times and crashes the server.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited February 2014
    ZycaR wrote: »

.. yes definitely the fix is in ..\ns2\lua\menu\PlayerEntry.lua file like this:
    local function FormatTime(seconds)

local minutes = math.floor(seconds / 60)
        local hours = math.floor(minutes / 60)
        minutes = minutes - (hours * 60)
        return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", hours, minutes,  math.floor(seconds) % 60)

end

.. tested, never experienced 60 seconds again :D
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    But is it correct? I mean the code has some smell to it.

local h = (seconds / 3600)
        local m = ((seconds / 60) % 60)
        local s = (seconds % 60)
        return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", math.floor(h),  math.floor(m),  math.floor(s))

end

Something along those lines, floor at the end (if really needed?), never coded in LUA.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    You would never guess that a human being could hear the footsteps of such a lightweight creature that far.

Not disputing it's too loud, but you do realise the skulk, lightweight or not, has sharp pointy bones as feet and is running on metal, so would make a huge noise that in reality humans would be able to hear from two rooms away...
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I too am unhappy with how loud skulks are, but if you think about it, this will definitely stop the absurdity that is/has been a high-ish level skulk player charging into and getting the drop on a room full of marines and killing them all. Sure, marine players in general do lack basic aim skill, but still it was rather OP. Now I think skulks of all ability will do "what it says on the tin" and actually skulk around and ambush rather than act like shotguns that have come to life.
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    lol, this new vote "forceeventeams" is terrible, not only does it sometimes leave teams uneven, i can't even disable it as server admin, i've tried two commands in serverconfig.json but assuming i'm guessing them wrong or there isn't a way to disable it yet?

OFC you can in ServerConfig.json:
    "voting": {
                "votekickplayer": true
                "votingforceeventeams": false,
                "votechangemap": true,
                "voterandomizerr": true,
                "voteresetgame": true
            },

lol, they changed the wording from vote to voting, nice consistency there.

Thanks for the information, now i can turn the crap off, the in game voting system has always been broken.

Well, dunno if it is broken, but I am using the shine one atm, no need for me to have 2 same voting systems on my servers. The other flaw with the ingame voting system is that admins are not immune to that, I get forced into games while idling. Nobody can kick me on my server and just remain afk for the whole duration of the game
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited February 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    You would never guess that a human being could hear the footsteps of such a lightweight creature that far.

Not disputing it's too loud, but you do realise the skulk, lightweight or not, has sharp pointy bones as feet and is running on metal, so would make a huge noise that in reality humans would be able to hear from two rooms away...

Any reality arguements are pointless. Also laughable to release such a game changer so close to finals. I'm starting to think they're drinking on the job to be honest. I need a tutorial on how to ambush from behind when marines can hear you even before you get close enough to even render in their view, LoS. If its possible, code so audio from X degree make less noise.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    But there is not much of an ambush if the rines can hear you way before you can hear them and actually lay an ambush...
    On the other hand, I am not surprised. UWE always goes too far if they change stuff. Can't count anymore how many times that happened. They should do what they want and then go back 50%.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I think he meant ambush as in walk quietly, ala shift, not as in the previous skulkmissile style ambush

@jekt
    I couldn't watch your video until today... i definitely don't experience that odd sound cut off or disorientation like you do.. (does it really sound like the sound is behind you or switching channels like that?? or is that youtube?) can you describe in detail your button presses if they are any different from the most basic "Jump key once when glancing wall, hold strafe key to maintain" key use. Thanks.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited February 2014
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    But is it correct? I mean the code has some smell to it.

local h = (seconds / 3600)
        local m = ((seconds / 60) % 60)
        local s = (seconds % 60)
        return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", math.floor(h),  math.floor(m),  math.floor(s))

end

Something along those lines, floor at the end (if really needed?), never coded in LUA.
    my code just add fix to existing function 99.9% of code is original :) I just add math.floor to the seconds...

here is nice and polish code (and it works with fractions of seconds correctly)
    .. but you know more you rewrite, more you need to test..
    local function FormatTime(time)

local seconds = math.round(time)   // round instead of floor
        local minutes = math.floor(seconds / 60)
        local hours = math.floor(minutes / 60)
        minutes = minutes - hours * 60
        seconds = seconds - minutes * 60 - hours * 3600
        return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", hours, minutes, seconds)

end

for time = 7079.7 (which is 01:57:59.700 exactly)
    your code will show: 01:57:59
    my new code will round it correctly to: 01:58:00

when we want to rewrite whole function :D like your code:
    local function FormatTime(time)

local t = math.round(time)
        local h = math.floor(t / 3600)
        local m = math.floor((t / 60) % 60)
        local s = math.floor(t % 60)
        return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", h,  m, s)

end

but stop it.. I have enough at work of this "code" .. lel
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I didn't meant to bring the "unrealistic" point on the table. One can explain anything in a fictional world. And yes, if those skulks wallwalk by pushing their claws into the metal walls it should make a very loud sound.

But what I meant was, that it FEELS unrealistic. Those walking sounds aren't bones ripping metal apart. It sounds like knocking your fingernails on metal. And it just doesn't feel right that you hear this from 2 rooms away. Or am I the only one who gets confused now about the distance of skulks by hearing them walk?
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members

I didn't meant to bring the "unrealistic" point on the table. One can explain anything in a fictional world. And yes, if those skulks wallwalk by pushing their claws into the metal walls it should make a very loud sound.

But what I meant was, that it FEELS unrealistic. Those walking sounds aren't bones ripping metal apart. It sounds like knocking your fingernails on metal. And it just doesn't feel right that you hear this from 2 rooms away. Or am I the only one who gets confused now about the distance of skulks by hearing them walk?

Tried eclipse yet? rofl.
    I remember the beta days.. where we just kept saying that we couldn't hear those skulk footsteps.. sooo many iterations and passes were made on it.
    Funny, because more than likely this bug was probably influencing our evaluation of it, given how when it was fixed its now too much.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Which means... Phantom is a solid upgrade :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Which means... Phantom is a solid upgrade :D

Phantom always was a solid upgrade.