Linux Mesa Issue - Build 263 - Radeon open source drivers [resolved]

irongiantirongiant Join Date: 2014-02-12 Member: 193951Members
edited February 2014 in Technical Support
There was some discussion around build 263 resolving mesa support (based around OpenGL 3.1 deprecated methods and what not). It looks like in the intel integrated thread that people are seeing it run successfully which implies that this was corrected . I am running mesa 10.1 (git build) with the latest open source ati radeon drivers ( also git built). GLXInfo shows 3.1 support as expected but I still get the output I have attached. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight into the cause or a solution. Additionally, many other games are running well for me DOTA2, Don't Starve, FTL, Shadowrun, Super Hexagon, and any source engine game. Thanks in advance.
GetInstanceCount currently unimplemented
Build 263
Linux
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[0211/205649:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197968619966 [API loaded no]
Steam initialized
libudev: udev_device_new_from_syspath: not in sys :/sys/dev/char/226:0
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: could not create udev device for fd 51
unknown chip id 0x6798, can't guess.
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeon
Num displays: 2
Error: X windows: GLXBadFBConfig
Error: glXCreateContextAttribsARB failed
Error: OpenGL version 3.1 is required
Error: Couldn't initialize the render device.

Relevant GLXInfo:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TAHITI
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0-devel (git-9f26ad0)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40

Comments

• tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    that looks more like your GPU is not supported by ...something, judging from
    libGL error: MESA-LOADER: could not create udev device for fd 51
    unknown chip id 0x6798, can't guess.
  • irongiantirongiant Join Date: 2014-02-12 Member: 193951Members
    edited February 2014
    Yeah for some reason I can't open a opengl 3.1 context. I have tested manually as well so doesn't look like ns2. Anyone with some insight I would appreciate any tips to resolve. I am using Archlinux btw.
    edited February 2014
    Just came home and updated to the beta. I'm able to run the game with Mesa/Gallium driver on a Radeon HD5870 but the best I got were ~19 FPS in main menu (that was with everything set to minimal and a resolution of 1400*900 or something like that)

That's with X.Org: 1.14.5, GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS GLX Version: 3.0 and Mesa 9.2.1 (Stock configuration of Ubuntu 13.10 64bit)
  • irongiantirongiant Join Date: 2014-02-12 Member: 193951Members
    I switched away from git-mesa and git-driver. So running mesa 10 and xorg 1.14 and it will run now albeit slowly as well. However when it does its optimize step it runs out of memory at about 2.7 gigs. I imagine it must be a 32 bit limitation or something along those lines as I actually have 16gigs of mem.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    To get past the memory issue, I wonder if you could remove some of the unnecessary cached elements - like the enhanced textures for skulk (e.g. shadow skulk), marine, gorge, etc.

In order to be able to play online, you would then have to remove references to those models as well. Unfortunately, this would not allow you to play on most public servers, since they verify these files. But it would at least be a start.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    The easiest option is to reduce texture size. Basically on Linux the high quality textures are a recipe for an out of memory crash. Yes, it is the 32bit limit not your available memory.
    oh...in that case...I had most stuff on 'Medium' during the optimization (switched to Low after that since the FPS was way too low...something like 5 or 6 FPS).
  • murraymurray Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175880Members, NS2 Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @tuxator Can you switch to the Catalyst 14.1 beta driver and check, if the game runs with the shaders, which you compiled with the mesa driver?

I can start the game and get into the menu with the catalyst driver, if I copy the shaders from my system with the mesa drivers (~/.config/Natural Selection 2/cache). But the game still fails during the precaching process with both drivers. So some shader are still not compiled.

Maybe you could also provide me the cache folder somewhere and i could check, if it runs with my graphic card generation.