Beta Build 263 Now Available - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ah, so now in the options menu we can basically enable the 'dull fullbright' that are in the NSL maps to reek the same performance benefits on all the regular maps

This is great news, because that boost was basically just enough (under stock playercounts) to always keep my framerate above my refresh rate 8)

Very good news
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    coolitic wrote: »
    No balancing? I guess it's for the best as I would prefer rare balance changes than many major ones.
    Balance changes originally included in 263 were temporarily pulled in light of the tournament being so close to the patch. We'd still like to get them into the game shortly after the tournament.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Removed center rail on Triad stairs <- Hahahahahah!
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    edited February 2014
    "Big changes" - does this mean that things that were broken 8 months ago will finally get fixed? Will NS2 be restored to its former glory or will it be more of the same?

I'm hoping for the former but I'm not holding my breath.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    wwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    One thing that I've noticed is that in both 262 and beta 263 cloaked aliens don't have a player outline in either game or in spectate. I don't know if this is as intended but with rumored shade hive being enhanced it will hopefully get some more play.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    how are you people even playing? there's only 8 servers on the browser (none of which running the beta), nor is there a single gather running.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    how are you people even playing? there's only 8 servers on the browser (none of which running the beta), nor is there a single gather running.
    There's a bug with the server browser in the beta build. Try restarting the client, and go directly to the server browser without opening the gather menu at all.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    Narfwak wrote: »
    There's a bug with the server browser in the beta build. Try restarting the client, and go directly to the server browser without opening the gather menu at all.

doesn't change. the only servers loading are all non-beta, nor does gather appear to work whatsoever.
  • rubiklukerubikluke Join Date: 2013-12-30 Member: 191123Members
    THANK YOU FOR THE TEXT SCALING.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    found a bugg!
    When click in any button main menu like for example on "play", the word credits appears and goes upwards.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @oldassgamers - I've had that happen a couple of times in 262 as well. Sometimes even when creating a server. I can't reliably reproduce it though.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    There is no bug in the server browser, you just can't get information properly on servers not running the beta. Gibs Gorge Hut is running 263. If you get an error I can pretty much guarantee you were running an out of date mod at the time.
    found a bugg!
    When click in any button main menu like for example on "play", the word credits appears and goes upwards.
    This has been known for a long time and is not fixable.

• Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    edited February 2014
    I like most stuff and what im rly interested in is:
    Added a new vote which tries to balance teams using previous round and hive stats

Thats like the Final test if this is working well then you can make the Gather system well too
    (but you still need like a better rateing for commanders somehow they have absolutiy bad rateing but ofc they are important)

Also the change that might be a problem is:
    Muting a player will now also mute voice requests (like need ammo / medpack)

(i can understand the reason that lamers trolls ect have an harder time annoying the crap out of the comm)

BUT sometimes you end up being on an server where people are not able/or dont care to speak english and then you get just annoyed they speak there own language all the time so you gonna mute most of em and then you dont get ammo and medpack requests well sorry but you gonna be ejected faster then you can say: "why" :O

i would like to take this change back plz or make like 2 mute functions right click for med/ammo requests and left click for voice mute plz :)
    (get some small icons after the name or in front of it to display what is muted from the person)

AND what is hard to belive but actualy happend right now NS2 still crashes with "Fatal Error" if you minimize it :( thats the most important to FIX asap plz do it.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Mvp wrote: »
    Any news on Mac OS X support? ~1.5 years of waiting for what was promised...

@Mvp Can I link you to this quote from 2007 by Max, where he clearly states:
    Max wrote: »
    We're developing on Windows XP right now, so NS2 definitely won't be Vista only. The supported operating systems will probably be the same as HL2: Windows 2000/XP/ME/98/Vista and Linux for dedicated servers.

A Mac OS version of the client is totally out of the question though, sorry. It's pretty rare for there to be a business case for porting a million-plus selling title to Mac OS, and it's unlikely NS2 will sell anywhere near that many copies (although that would be great if it did!)

Max

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/1605355/#Comment_1605355
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great stuff, thanks UWE!
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Much love @uwe ! the change log looks great and i cant wait to try the gather system out tonight!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    I turned shadows on and it didn't eat up 50% of frames. With low lights it's even less impact. Any changes were done here? Because I always wanted to play with shadows ON (With so many lights on maps, I thought you sometimes might see camping skulk shadow on floor/other side of hallway, if they were not careful enough and chose to sit on some light). Again, less fps decrease might be because of empty local server, I don't play much on empty maps... but it always seemed to me that turning shadows on reduces FPS by at least 1/3. EDIT: Probs empty server, back to 262 and turning shadows ON on empty eats up only small portion of FPS. But there is indeed much less impact with low lights + shadows.

Commander ammo bar <3
    Grey unbuilt structures <3
    Blinking power node <3
    Doors - didn't test, but sounds <3

Observatories showing cysts again - like as marine comm, dislike as alien comm :)

One more thing: is there a minimap difference between unbuilt/blueprint and powered down structures? "Made unavailable color very slightly darker" is confusing.

"Rotated smelting RT 180 degrees" no changes notices. Does this mean only that harvester will face different direction? Because I expected it will be rotated like Deposit once was :D

Nothing is broken so far. GJ.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    The server browser shows me all servers, i can't distinguish between "normal" servers and "beta" servers.
    Also i don't see any gather servers.

While i am at it... what is the green filled circle in the gather browser good for? List refresh status?
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    We immediately switched over to the beta and played around with it last night. It's very nice.

Here are two persistent bugs:
    1.) VSync
    NS2 does not "remember" that triple buffering is on -> which results in more than 60 FPS and screen tearing for me. I have to go to the options, then graphics, then select double buffering, then apply, then reselect triple buffering, hit apply again and then it finally sticks to 60 FPS; no more tearing. NS2 really should remember the VSync setting in between restarts.

2.) Whipped cream
    Somehow whips sometimes stop doing damage to buildings. E.g. you echo in a whip or move it into melee range of an extractor. You can see the whips going through attack motions and playing whipping sounds, but they do zero dmg to the structures they are supposed to hit.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hamlet wrote: »

2.) Whipped cream
    Somehow whips sometimes stop doing damage to buildings. E.g. you echo in a whip or move it into melee range of an extractor. You can see the whips going through attack motions and playing whipping sounds, but they do zero dmg to the structures they are supposed to hit.

This problem is present in current build as well. Sometimes they hit once every 5 times, sometime not at all even tho animation is there. Because of this. if situation allows, I prefer to echo whip in bile range to destroy unattended extractors.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Feels like there are no servers running the beta at all. And if there are such servers, then nobody seems to be playing on them. It's a shame. :(
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    ezekel wrote: »
    Ah, so now in the options menu we can basically enable the 'dull fullbright' that are in the NSL maps to reek the same performance benefits on all the regular maps

The low lights versions of the official maps are a compromise between the visual quality of the normal lights and the nsl lights. We tried to get as much performance improvements as we could, while minimising the loss to visual fidelity. It's up to the players to judge but I think we managed that.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Unavailable color is on the tech map not the minimap. It's the color when it's not researched yet. Smelting rt no longer faces the wrong direction.
  • MvpMvp Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187157Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @Mvp Can I link you to this quote from 2007 [...]

The Wikipedia article says this:
    In October 2009, Unknown Worlds confirmed plans to support Mac OS X, Linux platforms and perhaps console.[12] However, in February 2010, Max McGuire announced that OS X, Linux, and Xbox support would not be available at the game's initial launch. It was also revealed that Natural Selection amassed over $200,000 in pre-orders and $500,000 through angel investors.[13]

Unfortunately the page that it links to has been deleted, probably because they wanted to cover their tracks so they could fuck over their OS X users. I remember it clearly being stated on and before release that it would run on OS X. I only bought it because of that. Once it was released, I thought that paying for it even though it didn't have OS X support yet would still be supporting them in developing it. I've even offered to contribute in the port, but they still won't fulfill their promises.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Is there anyway to switch between the beta and current version without downloading the 300mb file and then the 100mb file to go back, then 300mb again if you want to go back to the beta? Kind of a PITA.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    So lowlights are not direct NSL lighting map ports?
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    joshhh wrote: »
    So lowlights are not direct NSL lighting map ports?

Nope, they were derived from the normal lights by the map maintainers (though I did Summit).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Is there anyway to switch between the beta and current version without downloading the 300mb file and then the 100mb file to go back, then 300mb again if you want to go back to the beta? Kind of a PITA.
    Why would there be? That 300mb file is the beta. You kind of need it.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, but the NSL maps will 'live on' as I believe Mendasp will export their lighting which is what his CHUD will use as the 'lowlights' option, in place of the default.