Should Fade Be More Advanced?

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
I think my title asks a good question indeed (lets hope this doesn't turn ugly). I personally think fade should be much harder, should be that lifeform in NS2 that has more skill-oriented gameplay. Right now, the fade is less useful compared to other lifeforms. It is mainly used for drawing fire and assisting phase gate destruction from my experience as the other lifeforms are often better in other cases (onos still draws fire better, but not as good at escaping to make it useful enough). I have an idea for blink, where instead of flying it can be an ability that allows for teleporting (not too far) at the cost of energy (amount of energy would have to do with balance). Shadowstep should maybe receive a buff and maybe even come first but as a tradeoff the fade should have lower health/armor. This way shadowstep would be useful for speed while blink can be used for positioning (maybe similarly to fade reveal trailer?) and both used together can help the fade escape. This way the fade would be a high-risk life form because of the low hp, and along with these abilities it would give an exhilarating and mildly intense experience (and probably frustrating for some). Do you guys think vortex should be changed or are you happy as it is?

Discuss.

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    It sounds like you mean something like this: (skip to 2m30s)
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    What Hobocop said. Vortex and Stab need to be reworked to be more valuable.

Other than that, Fade isn't in too bad a spot at the moment. @OP, might be worth providing some context as to why you think Fades need to be changed, as explaining why you dislike the current mechanics will generate a better discussion. All you have done is suggest changes without providing a reason why, so most posts are simply going to be yes/no votes.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    I don't know why you think fades are more useless than other lifeforms. You absolutely need them late game to even be useful. You expect lerks and oni to kill jetpackers? Lerks get 1 shot by w3 shotguns.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    I have an idea for blink, where instead of flying it can be an ability that allows for teleporting (not too far) at the cost of energy (amount of energy would have to do with balance).

It's been tried before and it simply didn't work out. Mostly because attempting to teleport like in the above vid during actual fast paced combat is incredibly unpredictable and confusing.

Fade is in quite a good spot right now, sure the upgrades are absolute junk for most part but a fade in the hands of a good player can easily turn the tide.

I understand a fade or lerk is hard to get used to for a newcomer and they will die an awful lot before they can even get good at it. However buffing these lifeforms would create a serious imbalance.
    This is exactly why balancing NS2 is so difficult. Making something that's not OP against players who can't aim while still being able to dis out damage when they can aim is quite the predicament.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    OP, why you hate Fades so much? It's the fade's job to kill marines. It's good at it in hands of a skilled player. Pub fading is ridiculously easy. Comp fade on the other hand, not so much. As far as Fade upgrades, meh, I'm fine it. Unless it was something to change the dynamics of fade gameplay and role at a comp level, I'm not really interested.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    Fade is not useless, fade upgrades are. Shadowstep is good, but not 35 res good (you'd better invest those somewhere else until you have spare res).
    I was a big fan of old vortex. It was truly unique and cool ability, which required some imagination and team coordination to be awesome.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never liked fades. It's a cool creature and love the flying around, but the attacks are stupid. That vortex thing is so crappy i never use it and because of that i never use fade. It's just easier to do the backstabbing job with skulk even if you die 10 times in between.

Plus, the teleporting around is nothing like it was in that Youtube video above from the beta.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Fade needs a buff/made more accessible and the return of acid rockets (in place of stab or maybe vortex) would be about all it needs.

Assuming we dont want to change the HP of a fade then there needs to be an effective way for new players to play with the fade that does not always risk almost certain death.

Acid rockets would make the fade useable by new players and leave them with an option other than running into melee range.

Acid rockets where shit except for the harassment factor (a bit like bile without adren) compared to getting up close and swiping (assuming you knew how to do so effectively).

I skip fade personally as its too weak unless you deal with sole marine which limits what you can do. but acid rockets would bring another role to play and that fade can now harass marines and bait them without blinking in and out and risking death.

Acid rocket must never return. Say no to ranged attacks.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Khyron wrote: »
    It sounds like you mean something like this: (skip to 2m30s)

That part made me drool a little. The possibilities...

Of course, the way it is shown, it would be completely OP. But I don't see why this couldn't be made balanced - for example, a moment of standing still before the teleport would add a risk factor, so you can't just spam it in close combat.
    The point of dredging up such an old video was to say "this has been tried years ago, found lacking and replaced with a wholly better system". Perhaps I should have explicitly said so in the earlier post.

That kind of teleporting and positioning system is clearly dysfunctional when you consider that marines do not stand still.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Khyron wrote: »
    That kind of teleporting and positioning system is clearly dysfunctional when you consider that marines do not stand still.

Only if this was the main method of movement, but not if it was the "new old" Shadow Step.

I think what I find appealing are the tactical options of teleporting anywhere within LOS. This would make the Fade more interesting and scarier, but not necessarily stronger.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    Hobocop wrote: »
    No. Because good players do huge amounts of work with fades as they are.

The only issue fade really has right now is that vortex and stab are eh, greatly reducing the value of purchasing fade upgrades compared to any other lifeform.

They may be able to do "work", but the amount that they can help the team is not enough for the amount of res they use up. Lerk is currently the most "efficient" lifeform. Lerks are easily capable of killing jetpackers so im not sure what you mean; Simply shoot if they have shotguns or bite if they have other weapons. The former requires kiting and shooting precision (not hard to shoot with lerk) and the latter requires timing and bite precision (rapid bite makes biting easy).
    edited February 2014
    Zalamael wrote: »
    What Hobocop said. Vortex and Stab need to be reworked to be more valuable.

Other than that, Fade isn't in too bad a spot at the moment. @OP, might be worth providing some context as to why you think Fades need to be changed, as explaining why you dislike the current mechanics will generate a better discussion. All you have done is suggest changes without providing a reason why, so most posts are simply going to be yes/no votes.

I did suggest reasons why, to make fade gameplay more advanced/skill-oriented and making it more high-risk/intense. It also makes gameplay based on good positioning/timing.
    RejZoR wrote: »
    I never liked fades. It's a cool creature and love the flying around, but the attacks are stupid. That vortex thing is so crappy i never use it and because of that i never use fade. It's just easier to do the backstabbing job with skulk even if you die 10 times in between.

Plus, the teleporting around is nothing like it was in that Youtube video above from the beta.
    RejZoR wrote: »

Vortex is good at drawing fire from marines and escaping unharmed.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    That video was amusing to watch by muting the sound and just staring at the minimap/map layout, for someone who never played those builds. Was bit confused few times for sure.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

The only issue fade really has right now is that vortex and stab are eh, greatly reducing the value of purchasing fade upgrades compared to any other lifeform.

I never research fade upgrades and I've never had anyone ask for or complain about it.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Regarding OP, I prefered beta fades, 200HP/50 armor, invul/highly reduced dmg while blink, decent structure dmg, more mobile, and disable vortex (disabled structures, or the later version which disabled marines from doing and taking any damage).
    Good thing it was it took more skill to play and take down imho, and even a rifle had a chance, so it wasn't the typical "no shotties + fades = GG" as it is right now. Felt much fairer to marines, but a good fade could also be much more effective then now.

Stab was never useful so it could see a replacement either way.

I never research fade upgrades and I've never had anyone ask for or complain about it.

I guess you had bad fades, because shadowstep is worth it, assuming you have the other upgrades for the team.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Fade upgrades definitely need a lot of help. I'm a good Fade and my commander knows it and still he never researches Fade upgrades until we've already won, and I don't ask for them - everybody agrees they're simply not worth the res. Even if your team is completely dependent on Fades, they simply don't need upgrades. Compare that to Skulk/Gorge/Onos upgrades and the difference is pretty blatant. Lerk upgrades are similarly neglected but still not as bad as Fade.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @coolitic there is nothing easy about lerking against competent Marines in comp matches. They are so squishy it's not even funny. Fade upgrades do need to be worked on, but the fade itself is otherwise in a good spot. A fade with high accuracy and game sense is very very tough to deal with unless you're already ahead in tech.
    edited February 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @coolitic there is nothing easy about lerking against competent Marines in comp matches. They are so squishy it's not even funny. Fade upgrades do need to be worked on, but the fade itself is otherwise in a good spot. A fade with high accuracy and game sense is very very tough to deal with unless you're already ahead in tech.

In almost every game I play, lerk feels unchallenged to me. What I mean is that for 25 res, you can kill over 50 res worth of marines. (as in their equipment). Of course it's much easier to use lerk when you get umbra. It also might be im just too good with dem lerks =D
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    you're too good for this game meight. :((
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    In almost every game I play, lerk feels unchallenged to me. What I mean is that for 25 res, you can kill over 50 res worth of marines. (as in their equipment). Of course it's much easier to use lerk when you get umbra. It also might be im just too good with dem lerks =D

Join us in pugs. Bet you don't last that long. :P
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Fades with 90%+ hit accuracy, game smarts and good timing almost never die. Even in competitive matches, not unusual for top fade player to go 50-5.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Roobubba wrote: »

Have a go against comp/pro marines with shotguns. Most pub players aren't smart enough to anticipate Lerks when they make their play obvious, so there is never enough combined firepower to drop them. And the Lerk flies off and heals up at the nearest Crag/Hive/Gorge. Against good players though, you will die the moment you try the same play twice, as the moment you are visible, 2-3 players will be in position to rip you a new orifice, and you wont be able to escape before you die.

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    *My* Fade should be more advanced, dunno about the Fade in general ...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Bad fades alert. Bad fades aler
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    rockdown :-S
    I feel your tears, brother.
    Not Flayra wrote: »
    Seriously, the guy can generate WORMHOLES on the fly. WITH HIS BRAIN. What the hell do you expect? Still, funny to watch him try to make tea with those scythe-hands.
    You forgot some key factors, like the fact he can teleport to wormholes just my swiping his big scythe hands. seriously. the mans a god.