NS2 Gameplay Video

DuckvilleDuckville Australia Join Date: 2014-01-22 Member: 193405Members
Hello all!

I'm still relatively new so I hope I'm not out of order posting this here, but I was hoping that you folks could take a look at a video I made;

It's not on my personal channel because it's a part of a small competition (details here) that I've entered - but I was halfway through making this video anyway so it's kind of a 2 birds with 1 stone thing for me.

Unfortunately I was a little pressed for time, so it's not exactly as clean and filled out as I wanted it to be (I was being asked to put something up asap) - and I know that there are a bunch of things missing (notably ARCs) but I did what I could with the time I had.

Hopefully you enjoy it, if you feel inclined to liking/sharing/retweeting would be very much appreciated (entirely up to you I don't mind!) - though I don't really expect to win this it was moreso something I was "just doing anyway" for fun especially given how much I really like this game.

I've got another video story-boarded(?) that is NS2 based, so hopefully soon I'll have another one up that will be a little better in quality :)

Cheers!

Comments

• orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    Name of song for love of god ?
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    edited February 2014
    You've a lot of work to do. Normally when you are making fragmovies, what you do is you get the demos of games instead of recording them, and then you change some things up on the demo, like i'm pretty sure you can change the lighting of them map and have the players do the same thing, You can also change camera speed or even script camera movements. Usually people prefer fragmovies with in engine editing over video editor effects because it takes more skill.

Here is an example.

notice how first of all, he is changing camera angles, which you can do by re running the demo and getting different shots, he runs it at slow motion and renders the slow motion at hundreds of framees per second, and at the end of the intro part, he slowly changes the camera fov, increasing it. He also changed the graphics of the game, and changed the skybox for the maps. You never have to run demos with the graphics at which you saved them. Most esport players run games at minimum and then run the demos at maximum graphics.

meanwhile this is a video with just effects edited in from sony vegas.

notice it looks a lot cheaper.

http://www.ensl.org/articles/712

there is how to save demos.

you can access your demos in

C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

XXXXXXX is your account name
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    While that may be true, spark demos are complete shiit. He worked with what was available.
    Tooling around with it now it does seem pretty hard to utilize.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    While that may be true, spark demos are complete shiit. He worked with what was available.
    Was about to mention that, we would require something like SparkTV I guess. There were unexecuted plans one day...

Ontopic though, I like the video even with the "music" (personal preference and all :P) But speaking of music/sounds and overall pacing. You could, even without the lackluster utilities from Spark demos, do what most frag video makers do. Tell a story in terms of syncing kills/deaths and other action shots to the music beat and play around with sound or slowmotions and such.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I'm getting the oddest sense of deja vu.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    duster wrote: »

Here is an example.

meanwhile this is a video with just effects edited in from sony vegas.
    notice it looks a lot cheaper.

I unno man, the one with trainz is SO much better.
  • DuckvilleDuckville Australia Join Date: 2014-01-22 Member: 193405Members
    Name of song for love of god ?

It's in the video description - "Harmful or Fatal" by Kevin MacLeod

@duster and this:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    joshhh wrote: »
    Was about to mention that, we would require something like SparkTV I guess. There were unexecuted plans one day...

Ontopic though, I like the video even with the "music" (personal preference and all :P) But speaking of music/sounds and overall pacing. You could, even without the lackluster utilities from Spark demos, do what most frag video makers do. Tell a story in terms of syncing kills/deaths and other action shots to the music beat and play around with sound or slowmotions and such.

I was hoping to give more of an overall view of the game more than telling a story or something. Due to only having a few days to put stuff together (and it wasn't easy getting footage to use) I really didn't have time to get too much done in the video - but I totally understand what you're saying though.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2014
    To be fair though, you can do some cool stuff without a demo system in game. r_gui true/false gets rid of the GUI completely, speed <integer> changes the server speed so you can do slow motion in real time, etc etc
    To be fair though, you can do some cool stuff without a demo system in game. r_gui true/false gets rid of the GUI completely, speed <integer> changes the server speed so you can do slow motion in real time, etc etc

Thanks.