home base

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
So is "home base" going to be your sub, from which you can deploy smaller submersibles/wetsuits?
...or is it going to be some kind of (floating) platform?

I'd like to have the latter, with the ability to add structures. So, you'd start out with just a docking bay. But as you gain new resources/technology, you could soon add a repair facility, research lab, scanners, crew quarters, storage, additional bays for other subs, (armory, phase gate), ad. infinitum.

Note that this is not intended to be the game, but rather a motivator behind the game. The game would still be mostly exploration and strategy. This would just support it.

The only thing I don't like about games that do this is you spend half your time going to/from your base...which is very boring. However, there are various ways to address this - such as:
a) allowing the base to move somewhat...perhaps even becoming submersible late-game as you are diving really deep,
b) providing couriers to take/get items from the base (which would mean the only time you need to go back would be to refit/change your sub)
c) provide mini-bases that you could establish where ever you want
d) fast travel (only allowed when you aren't in danger and are in the clear) - while cheap, this would be the easiest to implement

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Either a platform or some kind of colony that you can establish would be great (for what I think the game will be like)

Having a place to store multiple subs would be amazing since that would allow you to make different subs for different types of terrain (e.g. Lava, or Extreme Depth)

It would give a more visible sense of progression, and a place to "tech up"; For instance, building and improving the research lab at the "home base" allows you to build and add on to your sub(s). I would say it doesn't even have to be anything more than a glorified menu to do this.

I would also prefer that the player wouldn't need to actually travel any farther than the surface to "head back to base". This way the focus can remain on finding new areas and building better tools rather than needlessly traveling over areas you have already seen.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Or even on the ocean floor, since it is an underwater exploration game

EDIT: Prehaps having the base on the edge of the ocean
    fnpretty.jpg
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    e) Remotely controlled MAC
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The floating base idea reminds me of Anno 2070.
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I would prefer if most stuff was handled from your sub so you don't need to go back and forward so much, keeping the flow of the game intact. If they go with a stationary base (like the platform idea) I don't think it should take up map space. Maybe you could make it so that when you reach the surface you have the option to call for an aircraft to take you and your sub to the home base. A loading screen appears and you are transported to the "home base" world. This could also work as the starting and tutorial area.
    You would only need to travel to the home base when you want to do major stuff like changing your sub or hand in very important missions (assuming there will be missions/quests). Upgrading and researching would be done out in the ocean on your sub. IF you need something that is in the home base to do this you can call for an aircraft to drop the equipment at your coordinates.
    The other missions (once again assuming there will be any) will be accomplished by you uploading your research data (like pictures, video and documentation) to the home base through your submarine. If a missions requires you to deliver something (like specimens or a material) you can put it in a package that would float up to the surface and the aircraft would come and pick it up.
    Besides my speculations and ideas about missions I think there should be a home base but the game would be designed so you wouldn't need to travel there too much, to keep the flow going.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Instead of an aircraft picking up the supplies/data they could be transferred to and from homebase with the help of AquaMACs which I shall hereby call Bitchbots
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2014
    I personally don't find the idea of a home base being that "exploration" esque. but that's just me. What's wrong with having the sub being your home base and being able to do EVA's like in Kerbal Spess Program?
    I think it would be good to have some sort of forward base, but not to the extent where it becomes a burden

Oh cool I have an upgrade, now let me spend the next 15 minutes traveling back to base to apply it
  • harzimharzim England Join Date: 2014-01-10 Member: 192934Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    So is "home base" going to be your sub, from which you can deploy smaller submersibles/wetsuits?
    ...or is it going to be some kind of (floating) platform?

I'd like to have the latter, with the ability to add structures. So, you'd start out with just a docking bay. But as you gain new resources/technology, you could soon add a repair facility, research lab, scanners, crew quarters, storage, additional bays for other subs, (armory, phase gate), ad. infinitum.

Note that this is not intended to be the game, but rather a motivator behind the game. The game would still be mostly exploration and strategy. This would just support it.

The only thing I don't like about games that do this is you spend half your time going to/from your base...which is very boring. However, there are various ways to address this - such as:
    a) allowing the base to move somewhat...perhaps even becoming submersible late-game as you are diving really deep,
    b) providing couriers to take/get items from the base (which would mean the only time you need to go back would be to refit/change your sub)
    c) provide mini-bases that you could establish where ever you want
    d) fast travel (only allowed when you aren't in danger and are in the clear) - while cheap, this would be the easiest to implement

I was wondering when someone would mention the "construction" part of the game.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2014
    Twig wrote: »
    I think it would be good to have some sort of forward base, but not to the extent where it becomes a burden

Oh cool I have an upgrade, now let me spend the next 15 minutes traveling back to base to apply it

That's exactly why i dislike the idea.

If the games going to be about exploration, the world will be huuuuuuge. which means it will take time to get from point a to point b, if you're returning to a base structure, that's time spent not exploring.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Twig wrote: »

That's exactly why i dislike the idea.

If the games going to be about exploration, the world will be huuuuuuge. which means it will take time to get from point a to point b, if you're returning to a base structure, that's time spent not exploring.
    

Exactly why this area should be a seperate area, that can be reached either by a "surface" command, or just a "return to base" option (both instant ofc), but only usable when the area is "safe" (i.e. not being hunted by a Giant Electric SquidSharkCrab™)
    Benson wrote: »
    Giant Electric SquidSharkCrab™)

Patent pending