Custom maps and friendly fire

AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
This has been bothering me for a long time now and I can't seem to figure it out. How exactly do you install custom maps to your server without using the workshop? You just throw the files to your servers NS2 / maps folder? Didn't seem to work, got the familiar, "File not found" error. Seen a lot of servers with different custom maps yet they're not listed in the "server modifications" listing, unless you can hide that somehow?

Also, do I need to use a specific mod to enable friendly fire? I know NSL mod got it on by default but is there any other way? Could spice up the public server a bit.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maps needs to be installed from the workshop as far as I'm aware, otherwise clients can't download them and they'll get file not found. The server modification list only includes mods that are active on that map. This includes the custom map that the server might currently be on or an admin mod. Mods can be enabled per map or be set to always be active. Custom maps can be set to load when needed, this means when someone joins the server they don't need to download all custom maps before getting into the game, only the one that is currently being played.

As for getting custom maps onto the server. There are 3 things you need to do.

1. Get the mod ID for the map.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=75943673

Copy paste the number after ?id= and convert it to hex format with google. Drop the 0x and you're left with some letter number combination. For the above ID the actual mod ID is 486CEF9.

2. Add to to -mods arg in the server .exe
    This arg needs the IDs of all the workshop mods that you have on the server that clients would need to download to be able to join.

3. Sort out your mapcycle.json
    The most difficult bit. Here is what mine looks like.
    {
      "time": 0,
      "mode": "random",

"maps": [ 
            "ns2_refinery",
    	"ns2_mineshaft",
    	"ns2_docking",
    	"ns2_eclipse",
        {
          "map": "ns2_nsl_summit",
          "mods": [ "735cebc" ]
        }, 
        {
          "map": "ns2_nsl_tram",
          "mods": [ "7741098" ]
        },
        {
          "map": "ns2_nsl_descent",
          "mods": [ "7d527cc" ]
        }, 
        {
          "map": "ns2_nsl_veil",
          "mods": [ "78ac3ed" ]
        },
        {
          "map": "ns2_turtle",
          "mods": [ "486CEF9" ]
        },
        {
          "map": "ns2_caged",
          "mods": [ "63c559c" ]
        },
    	{
          "map": "ns2_nsl_biodome",
          "mods": [ "A8C04E7" ]
        },
        {
          "map": "ns2_tanith",
          "mods": [ "a2e8799" ]
        },
        {
          "map": "ns2_nsl_jambi",
          "mods": [ "9D2EABC" ]
        },
        {
    	"map": "ns2_nsl_eclipse",
    	"mods": [ "c41c8df" ]
        },
        {
    	"map": "ns2_kodiak",
    	"mods": [ "88fecb5" ]
        } 
            ],
    	"mods": [ "C8DAE91", "706d242", "aa8da06" ]
    }

• AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oooh, you can enable mods per map. That explains a lot. Tweaked my mapcycle.json a bit and now it's working like I want it to. Very much appreciated, thank you!

How about the friendly fire though? Any commands to enable it or do I need a specific mod for it?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You'd need a mod for that. Shine has an option for it inside the basecommands plugin. I can help you set Shine up if you haven't had any experience with it before.

There are a lot of other friendly fire specific mods on the workshop, but they're all really old and I wouldn't use any of them tbh.

• AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hah, another option in shine I never knew about. Thanks, got it all working. <3
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Amad wrote: »
    Hah, another option in shine I never knew about. Thanks, got it all working. <3

Take your time and read the shine wiki: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki
    If you use moreover ns2stats also read that wiki: https://github.com/BrightPaul/NS2Stats.com/wiki