bottom line after 11 years of playing NS

13»

Comments

• GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I think you all forgot the thousands of shitty ns matches you played and remember those 5 super-epic ones. This is how the brain works.

And so you have thousands of shitty NS 2 matches and don't even remember the five super-epic ones.
    Because every round is pretty much the same and not worth to remember.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Ah now i see your point. Well, i dont agree, i'd say 6 out of 10 NS2 matches are decent, 2 retarded, 2 great.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    A lot depends on where you play. Servers bound to an active community that have regular players and good moderators who will unstack teams if need be tend to have better games.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    well they got the balance stuff out, they made competative changes, and now they are even holding a fricking turnament...
    When on earth will you adress the real issue and optimize the game or engine? i bought my friends some copys and they, just like prop half the poeple who ever got the game cannot even play it.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I think you all forgot the thousands of shitty ns matches you played and remember those 5 super-epic ones. This is how the brain works.
    I still play NS1 so... No.
    All the statements said earlier remains. It has nothing to do with some brain tricks.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The problem is this is a high specification game, and your average 'buy a game for a dollar' gamer doesn't have the PC to run the game. This is not neccesarily a problem with the engine or the game. It is games like this and Crysis that will make people upgrade their computers, that is where the problem lies.

If you play a lot of mods that remove core code, and models etc. from NS2, you find the underlying engine is very fast responsive and accurate. However, like NS1 pushed the very limits of the GoldSrc engine, NS2 pushes the limits of the Spark engine. It can't really be helped, as the game is coding a RTS and a FPS into one game. Yes optimisations could take place to reduce the shine on the game, but why should they, if players upgrade their PCs, which they will do over time, they can run this game fine.

I have just upgraded from a very out of date computer to a very nice new computer, and boy, this game is amazing and beautiful. I never got to see it before, but believe me, when people come back to this game after they have a new PC, and they will if they are aware it is because their PC isn't good enough currently, they will find a very different game.

With the moddability proving sustained use of the engine, and hopefully bringing some players back, the long-term future of NS2 looks fairly good from where I am sitting. I am confident in UWE, NS2 and the Spark engine.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    People have to upgrade there PCs anyway this year to play new games @ full detail.
    With the introduction of the new consoles (XBoxOne, PS4) the system-spec brake of the last 5 years is gone and we are going to see some amazing improvements in graphic this year.

I can play NS2 on a 3 years old CPU and 1,5 years old graphics card @ average 140fps.
    There is some room for optimations for sure, but general performance is ok.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Ooooohhh NS1 classic in source? Not sure how to feel about this because it may be developed wrong-ly and might not be as fun. However, it may be just as good as NS1 (if not better) so I wish whomever good luck!
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    zenef wrote: »
    Know pain wrote: »
    5. Vents were at such an angle that many times no matter how good the marines were they were unable to shoot into vents allowing gorges to bile marines out.

Bilebomb does nothing to marines in NS1, only for buildings.
    Desther wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You know, there are still people who play NS1 daily. It's a lot of fun still after all the years.

Really? I uninstalled ns1 about 6 months ago because there were no more than a few players on at peak times.

Yeah sadly NS1 really died last year when halflife was updated. There are still some gathers going on every weekend but thats about it. No daily public games anymore.

Everything that was already released by valve, untouched for years, and then randomly updated seems to have 'died'

Wonder why valve, I wonder why
  • BabyFadeBabyFade Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34084Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Remember back in alpha, the UWE team have explained the rationale behind everything they did (e.g. adding an alien comm, removing focus...etc) and every changes they made. While it makes sense on paper (and sounds awesome) at that time, I am not sure what goes wrong but somehow the release product was quite different from what I expected. No doubt NS2 has received a big boost in graphics, balance, and a lot of other things, but it is missing this 'fun' elements that makes NS1 a great game.

Maybe it's all the cloak/jp devour, focus x2 damage, ninja pg, vent final DCs/CC relocation that are clouding my mind. But it is this unbalanced madness that kept me playing NS1 over and over and over again.
  • GetFarqdGetFarqd Your mum's wet orifice Join Date: 2014-02-01 Member: 193706Members
    ns2 sux compared to ns1, /thread
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    ns2 is a totally different game compare to ns1, not only ns2 is so slow paced and laggy, a lot of features in ns1 were stripped or "upgraded" to another thing - eg heavy to exo or devour to stump. it takes more skills to play alien and all marines do is point and shoot while pressing jump. hopefully in the future ns2 will be forgotten and we'll find something better to play.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    trinity.ns wrote: »
    Please voice your interest if here

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128269/update-for-half-life-1-1-1-1-and-client-library-for-mac-linux/p2

if you would like to see a fixed NS1 client!
    To fix what? I asked that numerous times and nobody was able to answer.

zenef wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You know, there are still people who play NS1 daily. It's a lot of fun still after all the years.
    Really? I uninstalled ns1 about 6 months ago because there were no more than a few players on at peak times.

Yeah sadly NS1 really died last year when halflife was updated. There are still some gathers going on every weekend but thats about it. No daily public games anymore.
    There were daily public games some weeks ago, I am sure it is still the case. At least in EU

• orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    This game is not NS1. it is NS2 in case u dont know numbers
    Once upon time it was MW1m next was MW2, it was same, next was MW3 it was same to , now i dont care anymore !
  • DooMBrIIngeRDooMBrIIngeR Australia Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193762Members
    Why would you hate NS2 for having a high skill component when you are (apparently) an experienced player?
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I can't take anyone seriously when they say that a previous game in a series is vastly superior while shitting on current game without backing it up with concrete evidence rather than general subjective opinions because most of the arguments people put forward are weightless and boils down to nostalgia in the majority of cases..

While your central premise is correct, that nostalgia is no reason to bash on the new game, your post is still ridiculously ignorant.

There are dozens of reasons for why NS1 is superior to NS2. While some of these boil down to preferences, feelings and perhaps even nostalgia, there are loads and loads of gameplay and feature changes made from NS1 to NS2 that made the game objectively worse. These include both important features that got removed and redundant features that got added. There are some things that NS2 made better than NS1, but they are far outweighed by the shortcomings of NS2. Just to name a few things that spring into my mind to give you some of your so-called-for concrete evidence:

-The alien commander. In NS1, the upkeep of the alien economy had to come from the pres pool of the players, which meant that not all players could afford going higher lifeforms and marines killing resource towers actually had a big impact on the alien economy rather than just pushing back the eventual lifeform explosion by maybe a full 20 seconds. This also meant that the game didn't have to create artificial lifeform restrictions to prevent everybody from evolving into a specific lifeform, because not everybody could do it without pooping on their own economy. In NS1, a fade could afford to be better at everything than a skulk gameplay-wise, but in NS2, artificial restrictions have to be introduced (reduced building damage, severly reduced mobility) to prevent that lifeform from being too widely used. This has a direct impact on the fun factor of the game; no lifeform feels powerful, since due to the alien commander, they are not allowed to be powerful.

-Heavies turned into exos. In NS1, the marine end-game tech consisted of two troop enhancement choices: the jetpack and the heavy armour. Now, while a great game, NS1 never boasted any serious and meaningful RTS choices, but the heavy/jetpack dichotomy was the single largest RPS mechanic of the game; heavies countered fades (a hit-and-run unit wasn't ideal in killing a unit that could sustain huge amounts of damage and could be healed quickly), but an onos countered a heavy (devour could take down a badly positioned heavy with minimal risk to the onos), while jetpacks along with an HMG countered onoses (the jetpack was much more mobile than in NS2) whereas a focus fade countered jetpacks (the focus fade was ideal in hitting fast and mobile but weak targets). There were actual counters and choices in the game. In NS2? Jetpacks are always better than exos, and the fade and onos roles have devolved into a shock trooper and a siege tank with no specific counters and nothing specific to counter. Exos have been, are, and always will be the useless gimmick that holds nothing but 'cool' value, bring nothing to gameplay and actually ruin games when both the team and the player buying an exo suffer when they think that they actually fill a role.

-Building restrictions. In NS1, marines could make a base in any room while aliens (gorges) could build buildings anywhere on the map. In NS2, marines are restricted to building actual bases at tech points, marine outposts have to consider power nodes, aliens are restricted with infestation and neither team can build anything in vents.