Headset reccomendations

inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
I would like to purchase a wireless headset. My current one is dying. What are the headsets that Hugh "Strayan" and Dillon "WasabiOne" use? I have $60 to work with. What are your recommendations?

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I've never seen a usable circumaural wireless headset for less than $100. Drop the wireless and you can probably get something decent for $60.
  • Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    Wireless peripherals are a massive turnoff to me as a gamer. I don't mind a chintzy wireless mouse at work, but I have awful visions of my headset/mouse/keyboard dying while I'm commanding or engaging a fight on the ground. On top of the liability of a peripheral running out of juice mid-combat, you're going to be dealing with doubtlessly larger response times (be it for aiming input or audio feedback). And of course, as @sotanaht said, you're going to be paying a premium for almost anything wireless.

That said, I recently switched to circumaural from on-ear resting headphones, and I don't find a difference in comfort. I was very happy with the earlier Plantronics GameCom headsets, but sadly they have discontinued the line of on-ear headsets that I loved so much.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B00B1KJK22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391028050&sr=8-2&keywords=plantronics+gaming+headset

This is the current model I'm using. The only gripes I have with it are that it's not USB (it's 2x3.5mm mic + headphone) and the cord is shorter than I'd prefer. However, the quality of input and output are excellent, and the volume/mute controls on the back of the left earpiece is SO MUCH BETTER than having that damn control halfway down the cord. The way I sit, I was constantly getting those controls behind my back and leaning on the volume up button. Not fun times getting my ears blasted out depending on what was happening (usually music playing/wow raiding).

Hope this helps. :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This isn't going to be helpful (although I think it's actually solid advice...) - don't go for a gaming headset. I have had many, many over the years, stereo, 5.1, 7.1 you name it. I used to love them, then one day I tried my audio mixing headphones instead. They are Audiotechnica M50s stereo headphones, and I use a separate desk mic. There are lots of different high quality audio mixing headphones, some great ones cheaper than the M50s that I have, and the sound quality in the game is absolutely superb. Pinpointing 3d sound is just as viable as with some expensive 5.1 headsets I have used, but in my experience they simply aren't built as well, and the mic WILL die.

Tl;dr get good quality stereo mixing 'phones and a separate desk mic. That is my best advice after 20 years of PC gaming (and also having released my own music on EP).
  • Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    Are there any of those setups that he could push under three digits realistically, Roo? (honest question) I'm looking to do some upgrading myself soon. Now that it's been mentioned, the mic was the part that gave out on my last headset. Very frustrating to not know whether you're successfully transmitting or failing to transmit.
    edited January 2014
    Infinity_X wrote: »
    Wireless peripherals are a massive turnoff to me as a gamer. I don't mind a chintzy wireless mouse at work, but I have awful visions of my headset/mouse/keyboard dying while I'm commanding or engaging a fight on the ground. On top of the liability of a peripheral running out of juice mid-combat, you're going to be dealing with doubtlessly larger response times (be it for aiming input or audio feedback). And of course, as @sotanaht said, you're going to be paying a premium for almost anything wireless.

That said, I recently switched to circumaural from on-ear resting headphones, and I don't find a difference in comfort. I was very happy with the earlier Plantronics GameCom headsets, but sadly they have discontinued the line of on-ear headsets that I loved so much.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B00B1KJK22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391028050&sr=8-2&keywords=plantronics+gaming+headset

This is the current model I'm using. The only gripes I have with it are that it's not USB (it's 2x3.5mm mic + headphone) and the cord is shorter than I'd prefer. However, the quality of input and output are excellent, and the volume/mute controls on the back of the left earpiece is SO MUCH BETTER than having that damn control halfway down the cord. The way I sit, I was constantly getting those controls behind my back and leaning on the volume up button. Not fun times getting my ears blasted out depending on what was happening (usually music playing/wow raiding).

Hope this helps. :)

I use a wireless circumaural headset myself that's why I said something about it.

As far as dying during a game, I can plug it in while wearing it and I have an hour+ battery warning (beeps at 1 minute intervals) for that. Most of the time I leave it plugged in but it's nice to be able to untether myself when I want to and if I accidentally pull the wire out all it does is stop charging, no interruption in gameplay like pulling a wired headset out of the computer.

As far as Circumaural, I find that supra-aural designs are absolute murder on my ears, excruciatingly painful after just 30 minutes, specifically the cartilage directly next to the antitragus (something I had to look up for the sake of this discussion, google a diagram of the outer ear). Anyway I assume many people find similar discomfort from the design, although cheap circumaural headsets that don't have thick enough pads or large enough openings have the same problem regardless.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    This isn't going to be helpful (although I think it's actually solid advice...) - don't go for a gaming headset. I have had many, many over the years, stereo, 5.1, 7.1 you name it. I used to love them, then one day I tried my audio mixing headphones instead. They are Audiotechnica M50s stereo headphones, and I use a separate desk mic. There are lots of different high quality audio mixing headphones, some great ones cheaper than the M50s that I have, and the sound quality in the game is absolutely superb. Pinpointing 3d sound is just as viable as with some expensive 5.1 headsets I have used, but in my experience they simply aren't built as well, and the mic WILL die.

Tl;dr get good quality stereo mixing 'phones and a separate desk mic. That is my best advice after 20 years of PC gaming (and also having released my own music on EP).

I've gone the headphones+desk mic route myself, and let me just say NEVER AGAIN. Granted, the headphones weren't anything with high quality sound, but the inconvenience and discomfort of using a desk mic in gaming is an absolute deal breaker. Basically, you have to lean in and face the mic directly and calibrate its volume for the distance you are speaking from and never speak from closer or further away. All of those mean putting too much focus on the microphone itself when while gaming you should be able to forget that the microphone even exists at all and just speak normally. It's also not cheaper, since the desk mic runs around $30 in most cases and no headphones worth owning cost less than $30 as well.

Personally, I'm using the Corsair Vengeance 2000 wireless gaming headset. That's not really a recommendation though. It works, but I've had to send it in on warranty twice already since I got it about 14 months ago. They have since upgraded the construction a bit and the current set have lasted longer than the other two combined, but I would probably get something else given the choice.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well I must admit my advice was more focused on the headphones part. Headset mics are always flaky, though. I use a zoom h2 handy recorder which I bought for recording my band practices, this is obviously way out of budget and a bit overkill for a desk mic, but I don't have to worry about which way I'm facing or lean in, as it can be used either as a 90, 120, or '360' degree mic. It has variable gain levels and uses 2 or 4 relatively high quality condenser microphones.
    You definitely need a microphone that doesn't have to be close to your mouth for this purpose!

@Infinity_X I am not up to date on these headphones any more. What I would say it's that if it's possible to save up and spend a little bit more, the ATH-M50S set I have has lasted me years and taken a good deal of abuse: in the long run it has worked out a lot cheaper to spend more on a higher quality product than repeatedly having to buy headsets which don't last very long!
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    I always buy a Philips SHP 2000. The sound is good, it last for years and... it costs only 10 euros.
    It doesn't have a mic, but I would never buy that, if you mic is good, you don't have to do anything more than if your mic was on your headset, but it's way more comfortable and you can even use your headset for everything else.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Logitech G35. Quite possibly one of the best headsets out there, and all my time of using it, hasn't broken once; mic works fine, its wired with a good cable and lastly, its not too expensive.
  • Ren26Ren26 Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185811Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Logitech G35. Quite possibly one of the best headsets out there, and all my time of using it, hasn't broken once; mic works fine, its wired with a good cable and lastly, its not too expensive.

This is what I use to play and cast.

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd also recommend good headphones + seperate mic.
    I've made a collection thread here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/123505/headphones-with-mic-or-headset-highly-recommended/p1
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You can check out this thread over at Head-Fi and do some research.

I would strongly recommend to stay away from wireless especially since you have a lower end budget to work with. If you want strictly a headset for gaming, go check out some of the Plantronics Gamecomm headsets or, like dragonmith said, the Logitech G35s have been a favorite for quite some time... but those are around 99$ new.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I concur on the G35 being a great option. I use it all the time, it supports plugged-in and wireless mode, and runs for hours without need to recharge. You can get it for ~$100, and its money well spent. The sub-$75 headsets are just crap in comparison.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    I had a plantations gamecom 780 or something which I think cost me around 60 bucks for a year. IMO it worked great for the price.
    http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B00B1KJK22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391096303&sr=8-1&keywords=plantronics+headset+780
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I concur on the G35 being a great option. I use it all the time, it supports plugged-in and wireless mode, and runs for hours without need to recharge. You can get it for ~$100, and its money well spent. The sub-$75 headsets are just crap in comparison.

G35 is wired only. I think you are referring to the G930?
    current1y wrote: »
    I had a plantations gamecom 780 or something which I think cost me around 60 bucks for a year. IMO it worked great for the price.
    http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B00B1KJK22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391096303&sr=8-1&keywords=plantronics+headset+780

+1 to this. Plantronics has a few sub 100$ headsets that aren't half bad. Probably the best value for around 60$.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Can confirm Plantronics has decent headsets. I'm using the GameCom 380 atm, so it's basic 3.5mm plugs and doesn't have 5.1 surround, but it's really cheap and does the trick well enough imo.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 is what I have. No problems.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    G35 is wired only. I think you are referring to the G930?
    You are correct, but its price is about the same...maybe a few bucks more.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2014
    Use a behind-the-neck headset to look cool while you game! B-)

Use a wannabe-gamer with a mickey mouse syndrome headset if you wanna look lame! :O)

Look at this hot girl with a behind-the-neck headset! You think she wanna date your lame headphones? No!

c5SljH2.png
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    http://badspot.us/img/PonytailTheory.html
    I'd say she's pretty average, from that angle.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also can confirm plantronics does decent headsets. Mine isn't wireless (Gamecom 780) but the 7.1 surround is sick.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2014
    I originally had a platronics gamecom 367 or something like that but they are discontinued, the headset was actually pretty good quality wise but it got a bit uncomfortable after long hours and it was a dust magnet because the ear cups were that like.. fuzzy material and not the leather type, also the top head band was pretty flimsy because I'm super delicate with headsets and mine managed to break (heard the same for others)

Been using the steelseries siberia v2 (3.5mm - make sure you get the pc one and not the universal one cause that one doesn't work well for computers) and it's been doing really well, mic quality is good, sound quality is good, umm you can wear them for hours and they don't get dusty -- also the head band is super flexible and feels pretty sturdy

I got mine for a really really low price but I had to do it through steelseries support by trading in the wrong version and .. well forget the story -- in terms of gaming headsets that aren't super expensive I'd pick this one up. I know sennheiser has gaming headsets that are super duper but there's no point really, because if you cared for super quality you'd just get regular headphones

If you need to hear sounds in games, listen to music in decent quality, and talk with a clear mic.. siberia v2 does it

http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2

I'm sure it's cheaper on like e-bay or amazon
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ezekel wrote: »
    also the top head band was pretty flimsy because I'm super delicate with headsets and mine managed to break (heard the same for others)
    Yeah I must admit that my original 780 head band broke, luckily it had warranty.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I use Astro A40s, and I have both the wired and wireless mixers. I can't really recommend the wireless one; it gets interference with all kinds of stuff, and the mic has never really worked when I use it. It's still nice to have if I want to watch something late at night and lay back on my bed instead of sit at my desk, but I don't really use it for anything other than that. The wired mixer is a little iffy sometimes, but it has good quality and does what it's supposed to do. The headset itself is great, though, and has excellent sound quality and a very good mic. It's worth getting without the rest of the stuff if you just want a nice headset. They are kind of expensive and probably overpriced... I'm not a huge audiophile myself so I don't know how they'd stack up against studio quality cans.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    I, too, opt for the heaphones + mic option instead of a headset. Mostly because I like to listen to music on my PC as well when I use my headphones and the headsets I tested were all severely lacking in that regard.

If anyone is looking for fantastic headphones that don't cost hundreds of dollars I can warmly recommend the superlux HD 668b: http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391153924&sr=8-1&keywords=superlux+hd668b

They are said to compare to the higher tier products of AKG or beyerdynamic for around 30$. I can't tell myself, because I never had such expensive headphones, but I can say that they sound brilliant and are by far the best audio device I have ever wrapped around my ears. Here's a review that I think hits the nail on the head(phone): http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

edit: forgot to mention that they are 56 ohms, so you'll need an amp to get most out of it.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    inveigle wrote: »
    I would like to purchase a wireless headset.
    Unless wireless is a requirement for your situation, I recommend avoiding it. The sound quality will be noticeably worse, especially with cheaper wireless headphones. Interference from other wireless devices can also pose a problem.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wow, I was not expecting this much of a response. I thank you all for the outstanding advice here. This is indeed a fine community.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    inveigle wrote: »
    Wow, I was not expecting this much of a response. I thank you all for the outstanding advice here. This is indeed a fine community.

probably the only forum left
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i suggest not buying a gaming headset. go for a company that specializes in audio and grab a nice pair of headphones. for the microphone you could cheap out with the zalman, rockband mic or whatever.
    The old high quality headphones with a crap headset hanging around your neck for the microphone is probably the way to go yeah... Depends how sensitive you are to audio though, not everyone can pick the differences some of those headphones can do.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The old high quality headphones with a crap headset hanging around your neck for the microphone is probably the way to go yeah... Depends how sensitive you are to audio though, not everyone can pick the differences some of those headphones can do.

It doesn't even really matter if you can tell the difference for gaming. It's not like NS2 has top quality sound effects that you just have to hear in perfect clarity. What you need is some good positional audio, anything else is just a waste of your time or money. It's not just NS2 either, most games just don't have sounds that are worth listening to on high quality headphones. If you want to play music through your computer that's another story.