Eclipse - Fix or Fine?

MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
Ok, this is bugging me. Every time Eclipse is played people moan about it but I can't figure out why? Yes its a tough one but surely that makes it more fun?

I'd like to hear people's views, does it need a tweek, if so what or do you really enjoy the battles in south loop

;))

Comments

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Map is broken but if both teams are of a high enough skill level and overall equal, there can be some interesting games. For standard/typical public play though, map is unbalanced. That said, UWE is done with most of this stuff so I wouldn't hold out hopes for any updates.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Pretty much everything elodea said about eclipse is spot on. For instance:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2176186/#Comment_2176186
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited January 2014
    Map is broken but if both teams are of a high enough skill level and overall equal, there can be some interesting games. For standard/typical public play though, map is unbalanced. That said, UWE is done with most of this stuff so I wouldn't hold out hopes for any updates.

What exactly is broken?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The thing that annoys me about Eclipse especially, but NS2 maps in general is the same thing that bothers me in every FPS game. For some reason, I get more annoyed by it in NS2 than any other game though, and that is VIS blocking crates.

Eclipse has a huge number and it really bugs me. If I could magically make crates etc vanish from existence, I would gladly do it!!!

I think the gameplay in NS2, and Spark as an engine, suffers because of a simple design mistake, the player characters are too big. If NS2 was remade with a player unit size of 60, rather than it's 75, the game would be a whole lot smoother and simpler, LOS would be better, so much would be improved.

It would mean that NS1 maps would have a better chance of working too, although I sometimes wish people would dedicate their time to making new and interesting maps built specifically around NS2 gameplay, rather than taking old maps and trying to shoehorn them into a very different game and engine.

Ultimately I love NS1 maps, in NS1, I prefer new maps in NS2 :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    As far as I can see, people won't give it a chance for one of a couple of reasons:
    - It's not ns1 eclipse therefore it's bad!
    - It's too marine favoured because of tight corridors!
    - It's too alien favoured because of winding corridors!
    - It's imbalanced! (ambiguous?)

Basically I see it as a 'difficult' map. In that, for each team there are stringent requirements for winning the map and you are punished hard if you dont fulfill them.

The map gameplay boils down to keeping the other team out of sub/keyhole/maintenance; whichever is relevant to the spawn points. These locations are very easy to defend once you're in, for both teams.

The map becomes problematic for a team that doesn't realise this and take advantage of it- marines that dont zone properly early game, and perhaps get PGs at TPs instead of important locations. Likewise for aliens that dont gorge off power sub/ keyhole, and respond en masse to enemy threats in these locations.

So at first glance, the map is practically built to be a stomp for one team or the other. It will accentuate differences in skill level between two teams.

It's not even down to skulks being easy to shoot or marines being easy to bite, the problem is THIS:

The map layout is logically similar to the structure of veil with 3 TPs and 2 major chokes, however if you LOOK at the map, it's a big fucking mess. There's no rapidly discernable order to its layout and that means less skilled teams are going to have difficulties identifying where the lanes are, and there's going to be very little natural laning going on.

Obviously it's kind of too late to make sweeping changes to the entire map layout, but smaller changes can definitely be made to improve the way players are directed through the map. Like making the northwest exit from power sub more prominent - aliens in pubs rarely take this route, but if you let a bunch of marines run wild, they'll all funnel in there eventually. This is the source of the 'imba'.

Same kind of goes for keyhole- you may have noticed mindless drones of both teams are easily funnel into this location whether or not it provides any strategic importance to the match.

tl;dr?

> Map's fine but very sensitive to skill level
    > can be improved with minor adjustments to layout of a couple of rooms to improve map flow.

Game mechanics should be balanced for the highest level play, but map design needs to take ergonomics and human nature into account.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Or just don't bother with any changes and let the masses vote to a new map whenever eclipse appears.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    With only sewlek working on NS2 forget it. The main focus sewlek is doing is server performances i believe which i'm happy with. Let mendasp weave his magic pls.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    nezz wrote: »
    With only sewlek working on NS2 forget it. The main focus sewlek is doing is server performances i believe which i'm happy with. Let mendasp weave his magic pls.

You know that sewlek (Andi) is the gameplay / balance dev? Max is the one who could improve server perf (engine) and is also still working on that (from time to time) beside subnautica.

And what should mendasp do ??? :-?

BTT: You might find this interessting: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2175681/#Comment_2175681
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Don't forget triad the most visually interesting part of the map, yet the most anti-marine room of almost any map. I seen new players too scared to go there.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just going to throw this out there (and duck for abuse)... but do you think Eclipse and to a lesser extent, Veil had the random spawn points for marines it would improve them? It would open up for differing tactics?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Just going to throw this out there (and duck for abuse)... but do you think Eclipse and to a lesser extent, Veil had the random spawn points for marines it would improve them? It would open up for differing tactics?

It would only make things worse really.

Anyway, I can understand and agree with some of the criticism, like having too much crates and cramped corridors in general, but I also feel a lot of people prefer to moan and sulk rather than give the map an honest chance (which seems to happen whenever a new map hits rotation).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Lol @ give it an honest chance.... Do you forget that fora couple of weeks, the only map available was Eclipse? I think half the issue with Eclipse is everyone is bored with it...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Other stuff to note:
    - Maintenance start is a nightmare. Especially if Marines discover it early with medpack feature / bug.
    - Marines closest rt's, Triad and Access are too far or to hard to defend.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    1) Generator monitors needs changing. The artificial zigzag put in to increase run time just makes every thing feel super claustrophobic. It's an era of the map that is just generally not fun to fight in.

2) Same idea with the little room that is immediately after south loop walking towards maintenance. It just feels very claustrophobic to move around in.

3) North east entrance to computer core hive also needs reworked. Too much of a cluster fuck getting down the stairs, fighting aliens while trying to avoid teammates blocking your escape if needed.

4) Marine start where the CC sits needs reworked for obvious reasons.

5) I'm not particularly fond of the south loop crate and the marine spawn crates or the crates right outside the marine start.

6) The vent in power sub junction needs to be lifted higher off the ground on both ends. If a skulk goes in there its obvious as hell, you just jump down either end and shoot him and climb back out the north end.

7) I also don't like the wall put in near keyhole to make the run time longer from marine start to maintenance. I do not have a solution but that "added" hallway is very boring...
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    For a map that strives to be different the marine start is a horrible example. A left and right exit just like alot of other maps. No random marine start. Really gloomy nighttime start area. Left exit to triad almost certain death. Yeah let's switch maps.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the only reason eclipse bugs me even in the slightest is that it was on rotation on UWE servers 24/7 for sooooo loooong. That combined w/ all the sales, and most UWE servs bein full enough to join (I sort by ping, capacity, mods), I feel like I already played the hell out of eclipse when it was first released. With all the greens during that time there were A LOT of alien romps that I saw at first. I see marines winning more now, and as far as balance, I usually blame team and not map. It did leave a little sour taste in my mouth during that time, though. It's a beautiful lookin map, but now something about those green halls makes me feel claustro and turtley.

I just need a little break from eclipse for now, just feels overplayed for me personally.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Jonacrab wrote: »
    There will be at least one update to eclipse in the future, so any feedback is welcome. I haven't made any concrete decisions on what will change, mostly because the map needed time to settle before I could look at balance. That being said I will probably be looking at the crates, some of them were added as a final detail to try and sway things, because the map, in testing, looked to be marine favored. There seems to be a bit of a bias towards alien teams right now, from looking at the statistics the win rate for aliens is slightly higher. I also want to look at how things play out in the upcoming custom map cup to see if any clear imbalances start to show.

For anyone who dislikes the map and feels the need to just immediately vote it down, it really doesn't help to just avoid it. The map was made different than the current set of maps completely intentionally. There is no need for new maps that play the same way. Even the testing done before the map was released is not nearly enough to get a good idea of what may be wrong. It can show some major flaws, but does not show a lot of the general balance changes that may be needed. This is where discussion tends to help. What do you dislike about the map? What needs changing? This community is small, and the less discussion that comes from you guys, the less I can do about fixing problems. So it really is up to this community to give feedback.

Thanks.

Just please keep in mind that a 50/50 win rate should not be the only target, but also how the map plays in general and whether it is frustrating or not. The often lauded 50/50 win rate that was achieved in NS2 now and then through irritating mechanics still meant the game was irritating and un-fun even if it was balanced.

I will also add that I do not have a particular care if the map still resembles the old eclipse from ns1, because I didn't particularly love how that played either.

A few things that spring to mind:

* Inconsistent texture sets throughout the map.
    *Very busy walls that have way too much detail and are distracting. Prefer the yellow/grey textures found near marine start.
    *Long tendril-like map layout from marine start down to areas of interest. This just renders the passageways from marine start as intentional time sinks to keep marines away from alien expansion, rather than actual functional areas where combat happens.
    *Powersub too large an area that gives LOS to both alien expansion routes.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    My only real beef is that if marines can hold the lower middle of the map its a pain for aliens to take back. Personally, I enjoy the challenge the map provides and without doubt is one of the best looking NS2 maps around.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe a bit crazy but here is my idea of the day:

1: Remove all silly crates (result: map gets marine favored).
    2: Remove the Teleportation exit from Eclipse hive and put another teleport-entrance around Maintenance hive.
    3: Make it act and look like a failed experiment. Players teleporting in it will explode after 3 seconds BUT aliens are able to make a cyst chain threw it, both ways (result: aliens have a better chance when marines get the area around CC).

Would be fun! More of an NS1 feel with patches of marine controlled areas and alien controlled areas instead of the Ns2 'oil spreads'.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

How interesting it would be to have pipe/sub-access as marine/alien starts, and have cargo/control as tech points to fight over, just to shake things up. Rarely do you ever see a hive built in control.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014

How interesting it would be to have pipe/sub-access as marine/alien starts, and have cargo/control as tech points to fight over, just to shake things up. Rarely do you ever see a hive built in control.
    Rare, but so cool when you pull it off. Yes, I did it once as alien comm, and it felt awesome, we have taken over marine start!! All your CCs belong to us!
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow

I remember a while back that I had a few games with this start (not sure if it was because of UWE or the server admin). the results were pretty bad as aliens couldn't cyst out of their base because of the marines close by. It wasn't interesting, it was total domination by marines
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited January 2014
    Eclipse is an awesome achievment. No idea what is "wrong" with it. Sure it is not as simple as some of the other maps, but this is exactly what makes it so delicate imo.
    The flow of the map is fantastic.

Altho sometimes i wonder what diffrent starting locations could do.

For example if you start in Marine Start and Aliens in Eclipse, then they easily control Triad, so you gotta get Keyhole, which is a long walk in the beginning without gates, but Aliens can immediatelly shortcut it with a Tunnel giving them a slight advantage.

So my proposal in this case would be to give Marines Maintenance as an alternative starting location and to rename Marine Start to Arrival.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There's always hate for new maps... Descent anyone?
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There's always hate for new maps... Descent anyone?

*cringes* biodome

Same reactions to Refinery too, so what we need is NS2_Discovery and all will be forgiven :-$
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    feed back? ok then!

-Maintenance : Marines can kill eggs from entrance doorways. Bad starting hive for what i saw all along. Same as NS1.
    -Computer core : Obvious sieging problem as it is a little easier to siege on NS2. The hive is lower than the surrounding location. It's not having the higher ground.
    -Eclipse : A decent ninja can go there unnoticed (command access south) if no Lerk check regularly these areas (loosing time of course). PG, TP lock. Feels wide open. I even "nade" it from outside using ricochet techniques.

-Triad: Thin, thin thin. You can get stuck on the top of the energy "thing" sometimes.
    -T-junction : good. Provide a spot for alien tunnel.
    -Key hole : Marines pressure point like NS1
    -Horse shoe : a little more deadly for marines.
    -South loop : small
    -Power sub junction : deadly for aliens.

Overall graphic work: Fine. Respect of style and colors chosen all over the map.

FPS: Well it's one of the heaviest map i think. Lots of props made for it.

Wall jump: One of the most annoying thing in this map is the "reach". On some areas you barely touch the ground when wall jumping from left wall to right wall (O really?). On some other you fell stuck in the middle of the alley (huh?). That is because a set of 2 size have be implemented. Small areas like Generator and bigger like T-junction or south of Alpha.

Vents : Deadliest weapon for alien when they can use it. It means you have to know the map to play it properly which is incompatible with rookies. which lead back to "when they can use it". Considering no marines use it too...

General note :
    If you wanna adapt maps from NS1 to NS2; make it NS2 maps with 5 TPs.
    People start to hate these NS1 maps because these maps simply don't fit the NS2 bill.

Who said Veil ? Same issue from NS1.
    -You got Pipe... you got a hard day if marines are ok.
    -Getting Nano for alien : not a option (a least secure it).
    etc...