Game crashes after pressing the "Play" button

Perry_the_PatypusPerry_the_Patypus Germany Join Date: 2014-01-23 Member: 193453Members
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
Hello everyone and sorry for my bad english.

Every time i start the game and press the "play" butten in main menu, the server browser pops up and the game crashes.

Here is my TechSupport Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o02x1aculkpsjv7/tech_support.zip

i hope i can find somebody here, who can help me.

Thank you

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post#latest

Follow these instructions (1st post, 'Making a post') and the NS2 resident techsupport people will love to help you.
    nerds1.jpg
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    you also may want to try out the old common fix for the menu bug thread:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131757/fix-for-common-main-menu-bug
  • Perry_the_PatypusPerry_the_Patypus Germany Join Date: 2014-01-23 Member: 193453Members
    Confused wrote: »
    you also may want to try out the old common fix for the menu bug thread:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131757/fix-for-common-main-menu-bug

I tried that, but it didnt work.
    Its like the server browser freezes every time he tries to update the servers. because the first second is ok. and as soon as he starts updating, it crashes.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    You are running two mods. I would disable both of them and see if that helps. (Just go to mods and click until they are not active)

If it does not, I would first change the number of servers steam looks at:

b62ff.jpg

• Perry_the_PatypusPerry_the_Patypus Germany Join Date: 2014-01-23 Member: 193453Members
    i deleted all mods now and downloaded the cache files again. i switched the Server Pings to 250, but it stll doesnt work. But the internet connection idea seems good, because i use 4G. Maybe i have to try it in an WiFi Network.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    It's probably a corrupted file, have you tried a full nuke, and reinstalled ns2? Or even just try 5NhENaa.png
    ...how on earth did that dot get there, dangit paint.
  • Metal BunnyMetal Bunny Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66072Members
    I have the exact same problem. Removing mods, reinstalling it (over and over again), all didn't work. Verification didn't work, nor did deleting /Steam/userdata/<steamid>/4920 work.
    I can't even get to the techsupport.exe as I can't seem to alt-tab to anywhere. I can only access windows task manager through ctrl-alt-del.
    Verify Game cache didnt work. Full Reinstall could be an option, but im using 4G at the moment. So ists hard do download the game again. I will do that when im in a better Network.
    And Thanks metal bunny. I thought i man the only player with this problem.
    I did the full nuke option that AurOn2 suggested and it works again, though the game now crashes when I click exit, instead of play. I can still play though :D.
    It seemed to be the roaming data of ns2 part in the full nuke page that did the trick, because everything else I had already done before.
    good to know. as soon as i am able to be in an wifi network, i will try.
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Do this: 2) Go to your hidden folder where settings are saved C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming and Delete the 'Natural Selection 2' folder.

I had that error for about 6 months.

Note, this can be a temporary fix until you can nuke steam. It will keep coming back until you completely remove everything NS2 from your computer.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    tdunc- wrote: »
    Do this: 2) Go to your hidden folder where settings are saved C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming

%appdata%

Much easier to type

After I did this, and I connected to a server, the same problem came back again. For now, I'll just keep on deleting the roaming data, as I still can't alt-tab to get to techsupport.exe
    ok...it worked the first time. but the first server i choosed, was a fail. and after disconnecting, the game crashed again at the serverlist. I think every time i delete the folder, i have one try to connect to a game.
    Not a solution, but it helps till i can full nuke nd reinstall ns2
    even after nuking NS2 and Steam I get this error. Not using ANY mods.. It's very annoying, I wish I could get my 75$ back considering it broke AS SOON as I donated...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    even after nuking NS2 and Steam I get this error. Not using ANY mods.. It's very annoying, I wish I could get my 75$ back considering it broke AS SOON as I donated...

Please follow my full nuke guide to the letter in my sig and report back with another techsupport.exe file. Thanks!
    Obraxis wrote: »

Please follow my full nuke guide to the letter in my sig and report back with another techsupport.exe file. Thanks!

I have actually formatted my PC, reinstalled (Not installed a SINGLE) Mod, and it started over again. The ultra nuke after removing everything steam a few times.

So, I started being more selective in what I delete, and it's only the history server and favourite server lists that cause the bug to happen. So I stopped making favourites, and every time I want to go another server, I just alt-tab and delete the list again.
    Though, I still can't alt-tab to get to techsupport, once the bug actually happens.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    So, I started being more selective in what I delete, and it's only the history server and favourite server lists that cause the bug to happen. So I stopped making favourites, and every time I want to go another server, I just alt-tab and delete the list again.
    Though, I still can't alt-tab to get to techsupport, once the bug actually happens.

Could you post a log after the issue happened, because the one in the techreport is about playing the tutorial.

hi. i followed your instructions, but it still freezed. this time while the first seconds of training.
    here is my techsupport link

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts

hi. i followed your instructions, but it still freezed. this time while the first seconds of training.
    here is my techsupport link

Did you ever try to join a normal server?
    Did you ever try to join a normal server?

yes i tried. a friend told me that there is sometimes a problem with nvidia graphic cards. does someone know more about this?
    i really want to play ns2 again. :-(

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Perry_the_Patypus‌, maybe I'm reading the dxdiag wrong, but it says you are using the integrated chip :S
    NS2 seems to be using the GTX 670M, so I guess it doesn't matter... but if you're desperate?

I think I'm just being an idiot really however :P
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Are you using proprietary GPU driver? Meaning anything that is NOT directly from Nvidia.com ? Install the latest from there, as your dxdiag is not reporting you having it installed
    ok. i will download and install the latest driver and report back in. :-)
    ok...latest driver installed. now gamre doenst start anymore. GLSL does not work...i made a full nuke now and im reinstalling by now. I report bakc after download and ibstallation is complete
    Hello, its me aain. After updating nvidia Driver and a reinstall after FULL Nuke, it still freezes as soon as i open the server browser.

here is a new tech support link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o02x1aculkpsjv7/tech_support.zip

please help me :-)
    Hello, its me aain. After updating nvidia Drivr and a reinstall after FULL Nuke, it still freezes as soon as i open the server browser.
    dragonmith wrote: »
    @Perry_the_Patypus‌, maybe I'm reading the dxdiag wrong, but it says you are using the integrated chip :S
    NS2 seems to be using the GTX 670M, so I guess it doesn't matter... but if you're desperate?

I think I'm just being an idiot really however :P

i dont think it would work with the integrated chip. :-)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    IF its anything related to read/write/registry or any other action regarding files you may do a process monitor capture.
    http://www.sysinternals.com

download process monitor.
    Run as administrator & accept filter.
    quickly start crash game.
    use the capture key (the looking glas icon) to stop capture before your pc dies from lack of memory. (ok, that takes longer but still)
    save the full log and dig or post here.

Note that a process monitor log basicly shows everything your pc is running. EVERYTHING. No secrets! Just thought you'd like to know before you share. :)
    Well if nothing else works, i will try this.
    My english is not that good, and i dont fully understand that software, so im a bit shy to use it.
    I am almost sure that it has something to do with my nvidia graphic card.
    Because i have the same problem with my new game "Nuclear Dawn"
    I can remember that i have red thomething about issuses with nvidia GCs and some steam games.
    But i cant remember where i red that :-)