Natural Selection Source Code Released!

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection Source Code Released!

Natural Selection Source Code Released! Tinker with the source code of the original Half Life mod. Available now.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    A mighty bump to open this here comment thread!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This might come in handy for some modder. Ideas and such.
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    Wow!! Do the same for NS2. [grin]
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    Nice to see the NS Source - want to find out how the top down view was done

Also need to get people to check Hell (For Ice), and eat Hats - I was promised a few things when the NS Source was public.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Except it doesn't have map source nor model source files. :-<
    It's mostly just older builds.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    If anyone is interested in patching out some bugs I can try to compile a list. There are some bugs that were introduced from the linux update for HL a few months back and the ones that were always present but still annoying like fps dependent physics and fire rate, the shotgun reload bug, and floating weapons. Right now people that still play it need to play on a downgraded version of half life and that has his own problems.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    While a good move, this issue needs to be resolved, clarified:
    https://github.com/unknownworlds/NS/issues/1
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The maps and models are probably under copyright.

As @Asraniel mentioned and linked, the clarification of what is allowed needs to be much more precise than currently. What is copyright, what isn't, where do people stand with modding the code, etc?
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Didn't Charlie say that they had lost the ns1 source code? Glad you found and released it, good move. :)
  • vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Juan José Alfaro
    [ "Mendasp" :: Leader of the ns_bast reconstruction, co_sava ]

Now we know who took the rotating door away from ns_bast! Get your pitchforks and torches!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I'm pretty sure people knew that already :<

I also released a ns_bast_classic with the door and stuff... Guess I could release all the sources for my NS1 maps, I still have them with neat compiling settings and all.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    For a second I thought they were releasing NS2 source code.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's just silly.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    They have released the NS2 source code :P Releasing the game in LUA is another way of releasing the source code...

Now if you mean teh Spark Engine, then that's another story, but then, Valve still haven't released the source code for GoldSrc Engine (Half-Life1) yet, so I don't think UWE will be in a hurry to release Spark source, they've got another 15years and counting on that front...
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Especially since the NS2 source code has always been available ;)

Glad to see this old dog gain some new life. Hopefully someone with more time can fix up some of the issues we never got around to.

OMG what the hell is AvHNexusClient and AvHNexusServer?
    <_<
    >_>
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hugh back from restful holyday? Can we expect more News in the nearer future? =P~
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
  • ZocZoc &lt;?php echo &quot;Hi there&#33;&quot;; ?&gt; Join Date: 2003-01-20 Member: 12517Members, Retired Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Wow, this brings me memories :)
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Who records with Fraps anymore? lmao

Bandicam is where it's at!
    edited January 2014
    Bandicam is good if you don't like to reencode yourself. Fraps does the best quality, the raw vid it records is insane(ly big). Shadowplay is starting to look mighty sexy though, as soon as push to talk is actually push to talk, I'll record with that.

EDIT: Wait, how did this conversation end up in this thread.
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Now to scan the files for mentions of the Nexus BUS....
    BUS? Wait, you mean that thing we were trying to do that would apply an electric shock to anyone who-
    ...I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about!

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited January 2014
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Bandicam is good if you don't like to reencode yourself. Fraps does the best quality, the raw vid it records is insane(ly big). Shadowplay is starting to look mighty sexy though, as soon as push to talk is actually push to talk, I'll record with that.

EDIT: Wait, how did this conversation end up in this thread.
    Hugh or who ever made the video was moaning about his lack of FPS whilst recording with fraps, you don't get that problem with Bandicam and the quality is still excellent :P

• herrsheimerherrsheimer Join Date: 2008-06-06 Member: 64403Members
    This is really a good new. Since hl1 runs natively on linux, anybody knows if i can play ns1 too?
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    if ( g_Language == LANGUAGE_GERMAN )
    {
    // no sticky gibs in germany right now!
    return;
    }

- Really? Germans don't like gore?
    edited January 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Now to scan the files for mentions of the Nexus BUS....

I think @Flayra already took care of that....
    Removed really strict anti exploit detection (that was never used)

It was the first thing I started looking for too :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Natural Selection GoldSrc code released, if you know what I mean :P

No?

:|
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    My version of NS1 works fine, just had a blast around.... oh so very different. :)
This discussion has been closed.