Skulks with Shotguns!

HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
2QKO4Xh.jpg

Skulks with shotguns is out.. And leaping for your face with both barrels locked and loaded! Experience the pinnacle of evolution in the fast paced multiplayer mod for Natural-Selection 2.

* 2 Ground breaking, original game modes; Death Match and Capture the Gorge.
* Dominate your rivals with a grueling arsenal of one weapon type.
*Leap, jump , wall-run, shoot and die in the ultimate skulk with a shotgun role playing sim.

1MTlVfe.jpg

"Awesome" Flayra from UWE

"Capture The Gorge is actually quite fun" Ray from the legendary snails

"What does this do?" Archimedes('Tis El Pajaro) from Steam

Okay, that's enough of a dodgy right up! After three weeks of hard work Skulks with shotguns is released in Alpha form. Its still not perfect but its mostly feature complete, stable and fun. So grab it off the workshop and give it a go!

Please feel free to give us feedback or ideas! Just long as they don't include any no new life forms or weapons.

@Howser Founder, game design, mapping and models
@Daan Co. Founder, game design and programming
@Flaterectomy Game design, audio and mapping: DM Refinery
@Loki mapping: CTG Eden

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Congrats on the release guys! Looks like some absurd fun :D
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now that's an awesome way to practice your aim. Can't wait to give this a proper go.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This Mod is Brilliant. I am delighted to have been a member of the Alpha testing team :D. This is without doubt the best and most fun mod since NS1....
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If this doesn't reinvigorate ns2, nothing will!

hehe only jokin, looks fun as all get out. Hope to play it soon!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    ModID's for mod and maps would be great for lazy ass server operators such as myself ^^

Running a server in aus and so far its pretty fun. CTG maps are the best!
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great work guys! SWS has been great fun to test, and I look forward to seeing all the crazy maps that flow from it! CTG for game mode of the year!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I said it during testing, and I'll say it again: while being captured, the gorge should be upside-down, on top of the skulk carrying it, and playing the walk animation so it looks like it's struggling! It'll be hilarious!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I said it during testing, and I'll say it again: while being captured, the gorge should be upside-down, on top of the skulk carrying it, and playing the walk animation so it looks like it's struggling! It'll be hilarious!
    We'll play more with that. The idea is to try enable the rag doll for the head and legs so its jiggling around on you back. we'll decide which direction to use once we've tested both.. its all about the comedy
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Just a little input: either use a entry file or game_setup.xml but why both?
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    @WasabiOne playing Skulks with Shotguns! And he's a beast at it. Your maps get featured, @BeigeAlert, @Loki and @Vert^!
    http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/497398462
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Great mod so far.

My only gripe is that the carried gorge sometimes blocks your view.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Great mod so far.

We intend to looking into mounting multiple view models. mainly so you'll have a shotgun in your view. If we figure it out I'll make a view model for the gorge leg so it's fixed with the view. The view blocking is annoying but less annoying than being unable to tell when the gorge is in your possession.

• DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    SWS should now be compatible with more mods (Like Shine, thanks @GhoulofGSG9 for helping us out!)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    quite honestly the most fun I have had playing in the NS universe ever!
    I tried to run SWS with DAK so that I could have reduced interp and increased moverate, but it resulted in some issues with the game starting (it doesn't). Not sure if shine allows modified variables such as this ?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Shine does allow interp to be adjusted as far as I recall...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Scatter wrote: »
    I tried to run SWS with DAK so that I could have reduced interp and increased moverate, but it resulted in some issues with the game starting (it doesn't). Not sure if shine allows modified variables such as this ?

https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki/Base-Commands.

DAK is not really supported anymore and it's recommended to use Shine if possible ;)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    looks like a blast
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Howser wrote: »
    Great mod so far.

We intend to looking into mounting multiple view models. mainly so you'll have a shotgun in your view. If we figure it out I'll make a view model for the gorge leg so it's fixed with the view. The view blocking is annoying but less annoying than being unable to tell when the gorge is in your possession.

As a workaround, you could create a GUI element that indicates the possession. Simple text message would be enough too I guess.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    As a workaround, you could create a GUI element that indicates the possession. Simple text message would be enough too I guess.

There currently is a GUI element already, a sizable gorge icon in the lower half of the center of your screen, but we will be addressing the view blocking at some point.
    edited January 2014
    Scatter wrote: »

Could be something relating to us having a zero length countdown. Not familiar with DAK so just guessing.

What would reduced interp and increased moverate achieve? More precise control?

If Shine will do interp and moverate then the DAK issue isn't that important anymore. Looks fairly straight forward.

It would achieve the same as it does in NSL matches, more in fact. Full speed leaping skulks moving towards each other at effective 30 speed would benefit from 30ms less interp.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    are there any servers hosting this mod? would love to try it sometime soon
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    are there any servers hosting this mod? would love to try it sometime soon

Click on Play and then at SWS to see yourself ;)
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    @NS-Soldier Spark Crafter Collective server is running it a lot recently give that a look. 85.236.101.73:28215
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'm thinking an ns2-take on unreal tournament's "facing worlds" map might be in order :). Have to change it up a little bit though.
    When I get back around to Proving Grounds, I might have to borrow it!!
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Bug: if skulk carrying gorge dies near ceiling, gorge can get stuck "outside the map" and be unretrievable until it times out.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Deathmatch isn't very statisfying as is. maybe a time limit and scoring by # of frags. that or change it to team death match.

CTF is remarkably fun tho.