Rookie Free Servers

Comments

• zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    @dePARA Thanks so much for the suggestion, we opened an 8th server today. It's Rookie Only. So now we have 2 Rookie Only servers, 3 Rookie Free servers, and 3 Rookie Friendly servers.

Instead of having so many poorly performing servers, i suggest you pay more attention to the quality. When game has been running only 25 minutes on hive 1 and tickrate keeps jumping between 10-30 game is unplayable. And most likely many of the newer players blame the game for bad performance when the real problem is in the server( which gives bad reputation to the game).

Easy way is to lower player count( would also make games more balanced).
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    zenef wrote: »
    @dePARA Thanks so much for the suggestion, we opened an 8th server today. It's Rookie Only. So now we have 2 Rookie Only servers, 3 Rookie Free servers, and 3 Rookie Friendly servers.

Instead of having so many poorly performing servers, i suggest you pay more attention to the quality. When game has been running only 25 minutes on hive 1 and tickrate keeps jumping between 10-30 game is unplayable. And most likely many of the newer players blame the game for bad performance when the real problem is in the server( which gives bad reputation to the game).

Easy way is to lower player count( would also make games more balanced).

Ok next time please back up yourself with some facts. Infact if you look at http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/640667/68.70.169.201:27015 Hive 1 seems only to have minor tick rate drops (to 29-27) which is pretty normal for ns2 servers in late game.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    edited January 2014
    @joshhh

We get it, you don’t like KKG, you don’t like our servers, you don’t like our forums, you don’t like 24 slot servers, you don’t like our admins and you don’t like our regular players. The only thing you approve of is 24 slot servers so you can come in and pub stomp rookie players. We get it.

Now go troll someplace else.

We have a rookie server for the sole purpose of new players to come in and learn about the game, learn how to play it and not get the negative factor of being destroyed by vets.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited January 2014
    Man, this type of drama brings back memories of the Voogru servers community back in the day. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Voogru may have actually been connected to the gaming community advertised in this thread.
    Biter sweet memories, but I made a lot of good NS1 game buddies there, some of who I still run into on NS2 servers today.

Now, the thing is that King can ban whoever he likes for whatever reason he likes as this is his "Kingdom" if you will. Like it of not, its his house and his rules.
    However, if his use of the abuse button is any indication, Id say that getting "banned for disrespect" isn't exactly hard to achieve.

The bottom line, he has about seven servers which no one is forced to play on. You have the luxury of choice. If King or any of his admins go on a power trip and ban everyone and their mother, then those servers will just end up empty.

So, instead of trying to argue about being wrongfully banned its best to simply find a place you're welcome instead.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    the servers sound good, in theory. even though I can't join them.. but there are other places to go, too. look, I'm nice!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    RapGod wrote: »
    the servers sound good, in theory. even though I can't join them.. but there are other places to go, too. look, I'm nice!

If you got really banned because of the minor reasons maybe if you ask politly they will give you another chance. ;)

If you got really banned because of the minor reasons maybe if you ask politly they will give you another chance. ;)

I don't want to get into the ban thing, because everyone alrdy has... let's just say it was at least a cpl years ago.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now, the thing is that King can ban whoever he likes for whatever reason he likes as this is his "Kingdom" if you will. Like it of not, its his house and his rules.

The bottom line, he has about seven servers which no one is forced to play on. You have the luxury of choice. If King or any of his admins go on a power trip and ban everyone and their mother, then those servers will just end up empty.

So, instead of trying to argue about being wrongfully banned its best to simply find a place you're welcome instead.

Agreed. In addition, if the allegations were even remotely accurate, there wouldn't be any one playing on them now; as we have a 10 year (almost 11) history of running games.

If anyone has been ban on our servers, they definitely deserved it. We also have an appeal process if someone feels they are banned without cause. Just to make a note: UWE is not a part of the appeal process. In fact, if used, it just damages any chance someone might have becoming unban. Thanks for your input.

As for your comments about voogru, our issue was over nsadmin, and how/who would use it. Nothing more. He's a bright kid. Very smart. If I had to do things over again, I might go about it a little bit differently.

We have unban almost 90% of those making an appeal. In addition, we removed admins who ban outside our guidelines.

Since adding our 8th server, we keep all 8 full, almost all day during playing times.

The new Rookie Only server is getting a lot of attention. I'm so thankful for ghoul for making the suggestion, and listening to what we wanted to accomplish with it.

Thanks ghoul!
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited January 2014
    Well nice. I hope all US rookies will enjoy it. Personally Im thankful I can play on HBZ or YO. Sounds like US is pub hell for vets.
    I was try in to keep this on topic... sigh. thread needs closed now.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    @KingKahuna[KKG]™ how many NS2 servers do you operate? I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like you after reading your posts.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    @KingKahuna[KKG]™ how many NS2 servers do you operate? I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like you after reading your posts.

8 in total

2 Rookie Only
    3 Rookie FREE
    3 Rookie Friendly
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Quite often, rookies tend to be better than many so-called "experienced" players.

You should not be looking for a way to stop rookies. There is no good way to stop low-skilled players from joining.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Quite often, rookies tend to be better than many so-called "experienced" players.

You should not be looking for a way to stop rookies. There is no good way to stop low-skilled players from joining.

Trust me, we're catching those trying to take advantage.

You'll not be surprised at some of those we've caught trying already. Thanks for your comment. We are aware, and appreciate your suggestion.
    UPDATE: 1/20/14

We have made some changes to the Rookie Free servers with how it checks "experience". We are pretty comfortable now with how they are set, but open to suggestions (plz don't ask to lower player count, it isn't going to happen).

We have made some changes to the Rookie Only servers also with how it checks the "experience". We are not releasing how we check for Rookie experience, or what those parameters are, but it seems to work pretty well. For the narcissist running around, you might be surprised to know we had to ban about 100 players for joining the Rookie Only servers. 2 were play-testers, several were "pro-players", and many players with several hours in game. While, no automated system will be 100%, we still keep a heavy presence of admins making sure these people don't pub-stomp the new player base.

For many months I have read these forums about the new player base, and how we need to encourage them; YET, those same people are the ones doing the stomping. :(

Please do not ask who was ban. I'm not going to release those names. I will just say, I'm disappointed, but not surprised really. The positive about the 100 ban players, was it gave us a very good sampling of "experience" to tweak the mod appropriately. So, if you were ban, please be aware, you were NOT ban across our entire server lines; just the Rookie Only hives. IF you were ban across the entire server line by accident, please send me a pm, and I'll be happy to remove it.

We have had no issues with the 3 Rookie Friendly servers.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Your Rookie Only servers does not show the Only part in the browser. It is cut off due to the length of the in game browser. Also I'm going to try to join it. Not to stomp, just to see if it works. If I don't get kicked, either your system is not working or I suck more than expected.

*Edit* Oh hey I found one of your methods. Logged more than 75 hours in the game and you get banned. Bit of a lazy way to check but I can't say it is not valid.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Your Rookie Only servers does not show the Only part in the browser. It is cut off due to the length of the in game browser. Also I'm going to try to join it. Not to stomp, just to see if it works. If I don't get kicked, either your system is not working or I suck more than expected.

*Edit* Oh hey I found one of your methods. Logged more than 75 hours in the game and you get banned. Bit of a lazy way to check but I can't say it is not valid.

Yes, we are aware of that issue with the server name. LOL The 75hr thingy is just a message in-game. It's not automated. When we feel our automated checks are working properly, we'll lower that time limit message.
  • voiderestvoiderest Join Date: 2013-12-20 Member: 190330Members
    It seems like your rookie free plugin is broken. In addition to randomly kicking people when they've played long enough it also spams kick messages to everyone. Now maybe I don't have enough hours on whatever tracking site you use but then I have also been able to play a number of rounds on the servers marked rookie free watching the plugin kick others so something is broken.
    edited January 2014
    voiderest wrote: »
    It seems like your rookie free plugin is broken. In addition to randomly kicking people when they've played long enough it also spams kick messages to everyone. Now maybe I don't have enough hours on whatever tracking site you use but then I have also been able to play a number of rounds on the servers marked rookie free watching the plugin kick others so something is broken.

The plugin is working great so far. The "spam messages" as you refer, are telling the user they don't qualify to join a team, and give them an option to join another server we offer.

You may have a few issues with the No Rookie servers (Rookie Free) if:

1) you don't have 75hrs play time logged by steam
    2) you have played on servers that do not send stats to "The Hive"
    3) you have played on servers that do not send stats to NS2Stats
    4) you have your steam profile set to private
    5) you do not have a reserved slot (donating members are exempt from Rookie Free rules)

If any of the 5 apply, you will not be able to join a team; and a pop up menu tells you why.

To solve this issue, you can play on hives 5-7, which are Rookie Friendly, and all stats will log your playtime at all of the above mentioned.

Also, these parameters have proven to be very effective in actual public server game play. There is a lot more intense battles, better team work over all, and a lot more fun than the default NS2 settings.

Thanks for the comment/question.
    I do think it is silly that you are using 3 different verification methods when any of those should do. I have my profile set to private so I shouldn't get in but I have joined played rounds so it's still broken. Also by spam I mean it tells everyone in the server someone is a rookie giving 3 different copies of the message.
    edited January 2014
    I do think it is silly that you are using 3 different verification methods when any of those should do. I have my profile set to private so I shouldn't get in but I have joined played rounds so it's still broken. Also by spam I mean it tells everyone in the server someone is a rookie giving 3 different copies of the message.

The problem is: MOST servers do not send stats to UWE's Hive, and MOST servers do not use the NS2Stats mod. So, in order to get the majority of players involved, we use all methods necessary.

We'll look at the messages it tells those who don't meet the standards above, and tweak it.

Thanks for letting us know that.
    edited January 2014

Only you see those messages. It kinda spams them so noone misses why he/she can't join a team. Also you can't join those servers any more because KKG changed there minplaytimelimit up to 75h.

If you still feel that the plugin blocks you for no reason post the link to your steamprofilhere. I'll then check your data the plugin uses in your case.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Your Rookie Only servers does not show the Only part in the browser. It is cut off due to the length of the in game browser.

I have changed the names of the servers to make this easier to notice.

Thanks for pointing this out.
    Only you see those messages. It kinda spams them so noone misses why he/she can't join a team. Also you can't join those servers any more because KKG changed there minplaytimelimit up to 75h.

If you still feel that the plugin blocks you for no reason post the link to your steamprofilhere. I'll then check your data the plugin uses in your case.

My profile is set to private so it should be blocking me as it can't see I have enough hours. It does seem to block me sometimes but not all the time. The part I think it silly is that instead of checking these to see if one of them passes the above rules seem to state that all must pass. I was simply disagreeing with the policy with that statement. My confusion dealt with the criteria not being explained clearly and the fact that I can play on the servers using the plugin, sometimes.

The spam is inconsistent in that sometime it might spam the set of messages once and then the next round spam the set 3 times. Other players had been complaining about messages or that they couldn't join a team when they thought they weren't a rookie anymore. Now if I'm playing a round I wouldn't expect to see any messages saying I can't play. Being in on a team waiting for the round to start while being told I'm a rookie and not getting kicked leads me to believe something about those messages is broken. Doesn't help NS2 already has the term rookie with clear labels and a different set of standards. Most players will see the term and think of the green vs white labels not the 5 part list given.

These messages or the motd don't really explain what the criteria is or really how to fix it. Posts on the forum shown in the motd talk about rookie only but has inconsistent information. An announcement talks about ns2stats while the server rules talks about steam stats. This post adds hive info to the list. Good luck figuring this out in-game though as the server kicks you in a few seconds if you try to look at the motd.
    edited January 2014
    @voiderest:

Here is how the plugin works:

If set so by the admin it will try to get your time directly from steam. If it has success with that it will compare your time with the minplaytime set by the server admin (at KKG 75h).

Otherwise it will get your hive and ns2stats data and will then compare the higher playtime value of those two with the set minplaytime.

If all this fails the given player will not be checked or blocked as it assumes that then both hive and ns2stats are down.

I also lowered the amount of messages as you suggested. ;)

Please understand thet every admin can set up his server as he likes and i can't force them to really inform their users about how the plugin works.
    edited January 2014
    @voiderest:

Please understand thet every admin can set up his server as he likes and i can't force them to really inform their users about how the plugin works.

@voiderest We have posted on our website the necessary qualifications to join each server. The qualifications are way to complex to post in a MOTD, so it's best to check our forums for the specifics.
  • JavertJavert Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15954Members
    Through all of this, I for one thank KKG for having NS2 servers that are striving to please as much of the NS2 community as possible.
  • Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
    Javert wrote: »
    Through all of this, I for one thank KKG for having NS2 servers that are striving to please as much of the NS2 community as possible.

Yes, agreed. The best games I've played lately (for pubs) have been on KKG no rookies (sorry!) and a few select others.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    tried rookie free today, got booted. does profile need to be set to public? my ns2stats had 200 hours on it.
    amoral wrote: »
    tried rookie free today, got booted. does profile need to be set to public? my ns2stats had 200 hours on it.

Yes, it does.