Rookie Free Servers

Comments

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Early Nexzil was guilty of stacking on KKG Servers.. Omega, Villain, Hav3k, Shaker etc.. and even myself sometimes (new to competitive FPS games at the time anyways, I was more awful than I am now) and I understand his position against it.

It's pretty awful to have a bunch of "competitive" players stacking one side over and over if you know there's no one on the other side to give you a challenge.

So to that end I think it's perfectly fine to ban/kick people for that.

As for me...

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2094926/#Comment_2094926
    The admin was also telling the team continually that they were sucking and were not going to win the game.

Banned shortly afterwards followed by a message on steam to "go cry to UWE on their forums more and see if they'll unban you" :>
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »
    Actually I was banned because I said Master Blaster talked garbage to public players/rookies as a Commander on KKG Servers throughout Beta and into the first 6 months of release.

I then got some irrational nasty messages from King Kahuna basically saying I'm a bad person for giving feedback like that for one of his admins.

So I guess you should add criticism of admins to the list of your "reasons for bans".

You were not ban for the above mentioned reason. You were ban for being disrespectful, rude, abusive, and lack of respect for our server rules, players, and admin staff. <--- period Just like your disrespectful, rude, abusive, and lack of respect of behavior here.

Have a nice day.
    current1y wrote: »
    Know pain wrote: »
    I know why you hate us, you have been banned for pub stomping, trolling, racism or hate towards us on our servers. Any one of these reasons, save for pub stomping you would be banned on the UWE forums.

Actually you might want to remove pub stomping from that list. Per king he doesn't ban for kdr, never has and never will.

Add pro stacking though. (note 1)

Note 1: commanders commanding with pub average elo included

You sir, were also ban for the same reasons mentioned above. You didn't like your friend being ban, and continued the same treatment. These messages posted here, are proof of your lousy behavior, and we simply will not tolerate that type of person, or behavior on our servers.

You also have a nice day.
    amoral wrote: »
    KKG hosts 7 servers and we are helping the NS2 community and new players as much as we can, and your criticizing us for it?

We host seven 24 slot servers with a forum and team speak so if you can do better please do so. We have admins to uphold our server rules unlike the UWE servers and if you are found breaking them you can and may be banned.

Now many of the persons who hate these posts well I know you and I know why you hate us, you have been banned for pub stomping, trolling, racism or hate towards us on our servers. Any one of these reasons, save for pub stomping you would be banned on the UWE forums.

known fallacy, just because you do something nice, doesn't mean you won't get called out for doing something nasty. never had a horrendous experience myself, other than a bit of instability late game. but, there was a recent finding that there was a positive correlation between the top charitable companies and their underhanded dealings. also true for individuals, a kind of karmic capital. people view positive deeds as license to be negative. also, for all the good deeds the catholic church has done, they sheltered priests that touched deaf kids. meh, it's the human condition.

I can certainly agree with this remark. It's so true. Not sure if it is intended for my abuse, or support of my decisions dealing with the two above mentioned individuals. Either case, you're right on mark.

p.s. I was asked to openly respond to these messages, which I would normally just ignore. I don't like doing this, but did out of respect for the individual making the request.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Actually I was banned because I said Master Blaster talked garbage to public players/rookies as a Commander on KKG Servers throughout Beta and into the first 6 months of release.

I then got some irrational nasty messages from King Kahuna basically saying I'm a bad person for giving feedback like that for one of his admins.

So I guess you should add criticism of admins to the list of your "reasons for bans".

You were not ban for the above mentioned reason. You were ban for being disrespectful, rude, abusive, and lack of respect for our server rules, players, and admin staff. <--- period Just like your disrespectful, rude, abusive, and lack of respect of behavior here.

Have a nice day.
    I know why you hate us, you have been banned for pub stomping, trolling, racism or hate towards us on our servers. Any one of these reasons, save for pub stomping you would be banned on the UWE forums.

Actually you might want to remove pub stomping from that list. Per king he doesn't ban for kdr, never has and never will.

You sir, were also ban for the same reasons mentioned above. You didn't like your friend being ban, and continued the same treatment. These messages posted here, are proof of your lousy behavior, and we simply will not tolerate that type of person, or behavior on our servers.

KKG hosts 7 servers and we are helping the NS2 community and new players as much as we can, and your criticizing us for it?

We host seven 24 slot servers with a forum and team speak so if you can do better please do so. We have admins to uphold our server rules unlike the UWE servers and if you are found breaking them you can and may be banned.

Now many of the persons who hate these posts well I know you and I know why you hate us, you have been banned for pub stomping, trolling, racism or hate towards us on our servers. Any one of these reasons, save for pub stomping you would be banned on the UWE forums.

known fallacy, just because you do something nice, doesn't mean you won't get called out for doing something nasty. never had a horrendous experience myself, other than a bit of instability late game. but, there was a recent finding that there was a positive correlation between the top charitable companies and their underhanded dealings. also true for individuals, a kind of karmic capital. people view positive deeds as license to be negative. also, for all the good deeds the catholic church has done, they sheltered priests that touched deaf kids. meh, it's the human condition.

I can certainly agree with this remark. It's so true. Not sure if it is intended for my abuse, or support of my decisions dealing with the two above mentioned individuals. Either case, you're right on mark.

p.s. I was asked to openly respond to these messages, which I would normally just ignore. I don't like doing this, but did out of respect for the individual making the request.

the remark was specifically directed at the post in question. and as a gentle reminder that knowing your own character can go a long way to preventing abuse. nobody likes to think of themselves badly, and knowing what to look out for can prevent them from having to.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

Have a nice day.

the remark was specifically directed at the post in question. and as a gentle reminder that knowing your own character can go a long way to preventing abuse. nobody likes to think of themselves badly, and knowing what to look out for can prevent them from having to.

I could not agree with this more. You are absolutely correct.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    aaaaannnnnnnddddddd fail. Atleast i tried.

Since this is a Q/A session now, maybe you could tell me why I was banned lol...
    xDragon wrote: »
    aaaaannnnnnnddddddd fail. Atleast i tried.

Since this is a Q/A session now, maybe you could tell me why I was banned lol...

Sure, same reason as the above two mentioned people. You're rude, disrespectful of others, server rules, bad behavior to other people.

Hope that helps.
    We have just implemented rookie free status on hives 1-3. Unless you have logged enough time on TheHive, you can't join a team. Hives 4-7, rookies can join, but can't command. There, they can earn hours on the Hive ranking system.

So, if you're looking for Rookie Free, we're the place to play.
    Maybe create one rookie only(low elo, max 100h playtime) server, to balance things ;)

We have 4 servers dedicated to rookie friendly game play. Rookies only need 10hrs of game play to join hives 1-3, or command on hives 4-7.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Where are the servers based?

Chicago, directly in middle of the lower 48.

So these are rookie free servers dedicated to being rookie friendly?

LOL I loved your pun. It made me laugh. I'm sorry I missed it until now.

Thanks, I needed that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This thread is about community servers who are opening Rookie Only as well as Rookie Free servers for the rest of the community to play on.
    Comments and suggestions about playercounts etc are fine, since they are contributions regarding the subject matter from the community, regarding the community.

But please do not attempt to derail the discussion like its a personal AMA... that's what private messages are for.
    Any future post that continues to follow suit in that manner will be removed and that user warned appropriately.
    Thank you for your understanding and game on.

(And thank you, KKG for opening more Rookie Only servers!)

edited January 2014
    Hives 1-3 Rookie Free
    10hrs of playing time with stats recorded to either the Hive, or NS2Stats
    Donating members are immune

Hive 4 - Rookie Only
    parameters not disclosed (sorry)

Hive 5-7 Rookie Friendly
    Anyone can join, regardless of experience
    10hrs of playing time with stats recorded to either the Hive, or NS2Stats to sit in Commander Station
    Donating members are immune

This setup accomplishes every goal discussed in this thread. It gives access to new players to learn the game, without being stomped. It gives access to experienced and pro-players to enjoy a higher level of competition, and a more competitive place to play.

Every server is 24 player, and we have no intentions of changing that number. We have many years of experience in configuring what works. Some may disagree, and that's ok. The good news is, if you don't like 24 slot servers, there are other places for you to play. We have a lot of "pro-players" who frequently play here, and are very helpful in teaching others strategy and other things about the game. We have a lot of regular members who have bonded a close friendship with each other, and protect their playground. Just sayn'.

What makes any community grow, is new people. This is our attempt in helping the new people along with the game, and the beginnings of new friendships.

We are open to suggestions about any configurations you think would make things better (except for player count). Please feel free to leave positive suggestions or comments. We do listen to those. Feel free visit our website directly http://www.kingkahunagames.com/forums and pass along your suggestions.

We should all give thanks for UWE for providing us a fun game, that's lasted 11 years (almost).
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    "We are open to suggestions about any configurations you think would make things better (except for player count)."

How about reducing the serverammount to 4, so other communitys and admins have a better chance to fill there payed servers also?
    This would help the community much cause the players have a better choice on what servers there a playing.

• softpasoftpa Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185717Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    May I suggest a couching server as well, a server where rookies are allow to spect.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    softpa wrote: »
    May I suggest a couching server as well, a server where rookies are allow to spect.
    Ups forgot about that will add a option to the no-rookie plugin, thanks for mention it :)
    edited January 2014
    dePARA wrote: »
    "We are open to suggestions about any configurations you think would make things better (except for player count)."

How about reducing the serverammount to 4, so other communitys and admins have a better chance to fill there payed servers also?
    This would help the community much cause the players have a better choice on what servers there a playing.

@dePARA If you were actually nice to people, they would want to play there. Messages like this one, and one that was edited yesterday are just two examples why they might not want to visit in your house. Have you ever considered that may be part of the problem? Is it jealousy/envy why you want to always troll me? This messages and others you write seem to indicate that's the reason.

Maybe I should put up more servers, so the player base has a place to play without being trolled. I did operate 30 during the NS1 days, and I can do it again if necessary.

I appreciate your comment, really I do. I just put up the 8th server. We'll be making it a Rookie Only server, giving us 2 for only rookies to play on.
    softpa wrote: »

If there wasn't such a problem with people spectating, I would consider it. However, it's an abused tool in the game, and only SuperAdmins have the ability to spectate.

@softpa I re-read your suggestion; maybe I misunderstood. Did I miss something?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    How is spectating a problem when you have a 24 man server? Just dedicate 4 slots to specs while capping the player limit at 20. Make an exception that only allows specs to join once there are 20 players on the field. Being able to watch games from a top down view is an incredible tool for helping people understand the game.

._.

P.S. The word is "banned" when talking in the past tense king. Just thought I would let you know.
    joshhh wrote: »
    How is spectating a problem when you have a 24 man server? Just dedicate 4 slots to specs while capping the player limit at 20. Make an exception that only allows specs to join once there are 20 players on the field. Being able to watch games from a top down view is an incredible tool for helping people understand the game.

._.

i'd actually suggest this for midlevel servers, KKG already has some stability hiccups with their preferred player count without adding spectators to the mix. but with something like 18 man servers, make it 22, but only 18 can play. used to play a lot of fpses where there was a persistent spectator population, which buffered against loss of numbers and were ok with just chatting and spectating when there were enough people. Also prompted people to join as fast as possible, so they'd be able to play that round. good times.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes that was basically what I was getting at. Tactical Gamer servers (Great servers btw) were the first to implement the spec slot system I described. As long as you make a rule in the spectator mod that specifies no one can join spectate until you have x amount of players on the field, the mod works extremely well.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Yes that was basically what I was getting at. Tactical Gamer servers (Great servers btw) were the first to implement the spec slot system I described. As long as you make a rule in the spectator mod that specifies no one can join spectate until you have x amount of players on the field, the mod works extremely well.

BTW the TGNS mod are also basically just shine plugins ;)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I played there for the first time Monday (odly enough randomly joining with "no sound" as my name and finding out they are all about teamwork rofl). I ran into the spec system after my first game. They were fixed at 8v8 and the rest could spec. I thought it worked but I wasn't a fan of having to sit on the sidelines so i left shortly after since I was looking to play.

I could see it being a way for people to spec whatever their reasons may be and not get yelled at for taking up a spot. Often times newbies want to spec just to learn in general or people want to spec good players to see if they can pick up something. Then they get yelled at for wasting a slot when 1 team starts to lose and they see some one to blame in spectator.

As for performance it shouldn't affect performance correct? I was under the impression a few specs do not increase server load a significant amount.
    Wyzcrk's server has some issues every once in a while. It has nothing to do with the mod itself. Usually the server runs pretty well. As for their rules, the entire server is based around teamwork so they require you to be able to hear the comm. Aside from that the rules are pretty simple. Use teamwork to work toward the goal.

And if you read the rules and sign the primer, you get a semi-reserve slot allowing you to bump non-regulars. I believe the server protects 2 non-regs from getting bumped. I always forget.
    edited January 2014
    P.S. The word is "banned" when talking in the past tense king. Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks for the English lesson, but that's not accurate.

Ban
    Banned

Can be used as either present tense, or past. See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ban?show=0&t=1389973071 for proper usage.
    Also, http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/banned
    Also, http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/banned

So, as you can see, past tense/present tense isn't the issue. Whether it's an adjective or a verb is the issue.

Examples of BAN/BANNED

The school banned that book for many years.
    The city has banned smoking in all public buildings.
    The drug was banned a decade ago.
    The use of cell phones is banned in the restaurant.

Some present tense examples, and some past tense.

I appreciate the English lesson, but it appears you have just been schooled yourself. ;)

Is there anything else you feel the need to correct me on?
    I find it amazing how we came from "announcing non rookie servers" to "english lessons with @joshhh and @KingKahuna[KKG]™ ". :))

Please keep in mind <60% of the member of our lovely commmunity are non native english speaker (myself included).

But could we kinda try to stay on topic at least once . [-O<
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Spectating is a tricky thing-

--if you say 20 players + 4 spectators, then what happens on a map change? Is it a race to join and the last 4 to load get screwed(haha you don't have an SSD)? Alternatively if you join a game only to find out after 2-4 minutes of loading that you don't actually get to play...

-- if you say "max 4 spectators" then when 4 players rage and spectate they prevent new blood from taking their place...

Spectating has the potential to help people learn the game, but it also can be abused intentionally or unintentionally very easily.

Is venture to say that 85% of green players have spent <5 minutes looking at tutorials let alone spectating. In my experience 75% of spectators are players who have given up on the current round and 24% are players who think someone is cheating. If you think it's GG then surrender, leave, or keep playing/practicing, don't unbalance the team further by forcing them to play a player down. If you think someone is cheating let an admin deal with it, because no matter what you see or how obvious you think it is you still can't ban.

I see your point mad_max. The servers that I know use the system are not green and are 18man servers with extra room for reserve slots. These are also not rookie friendly servers iirc. I have almost never seen people complain about it. Sometimes its nice to sit a round and watch while you eat or something. Obviously speccing a game is not for everyone. Maybe if the server is clearly labeled it could help?
    edited January 2014
    "You were not ban for the above mentioned reason."

were - past tense
    meaning you need to have the word "ban" in its past tense form as well.

The correct sentence form would be:
    "You were not banned for the above mentioned reason."

As per your definition... "Banned" is an adjective. The way you used it in your sentence tells me you meant to use an adjective.

*facepalm

@joshhh Please quit trolling every message, and stay on topic. You're only doing this to cause trouble, and you have been warned already for trolling messages. Please have some respect for others, and the forum moderators when they make requests like these. You are displaying a contempt for others, and showing yourself to be nothing but trouble every time you do it. Can't you see, it's hurting your reputation?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This thread is about community servers who are opening Rookie Only as well as Rookie Free servers for the rest of the community to play on.
    Comments and suggestions about playercounts etc are fine, since they are contributions regarding the subject matter from the community, regarding the community.

But please do not attempt to derail the discussion like its a personal AMA... that's what private messages are for.
    Any future post that continues to follow suit in that manner will be removed and that user warned appropriately.
    Thank you for your understanding and game on.

(And thank you, KKG for opening more Rookie Only servers!)

Thank you.
    King plz read so we don't confuse the ~60 % non english speakers - http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/ban.html

Back on topic...

@current1y Please keep in mind, you are displaying a level of disrespect of forum moderators by piggy backing on joshhh's trolling messages. You're only doing this to cause trouble. Please have respect for others. You're displaying a contempt for others,, and showing yourself to be a troll. I have seen it privately, now you're showing it publically here. Do you not have any respect for IronHorse and his request?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    What is your opinion of putting the spectate system on your Rookie only servers? It sounds like a interesting system that would allow players to spectate without getting told to join. Provided the rules are in place to not allow spectate till teams are filled it seems like it would avoid clearing a server since it only allows one to spectate.
    At one time I showed you the utmost respect and even donated to your servers. Then one day I publicly posted about my dislike of your reserve slot system and boom.... I was banned. When I confronted you about it you gave me a child's response. After that my opinion changed about you. Now, it's no secret that I dislike you, King. Everyone knows that. Hell... even some of the UWE forum mods agree with me... but that was not the point of my post. I was just pointing out something that was bugging me.

Sorry I had to explain that to you but lets move on I guess. Back to talking about the spectator slots. We haven't heard your opinion yet.
    I played there for the first time Monday (odly enough randomly joining with "no sound" as my name and finding out they are all about teamwork rofl). I ran into the spec system after my first game. They were fixed at 8v8 and the rest could spec. I thought it worked but I wasn't a fan of having to sit on the sidelines so i left shortly after since I was looking to play.

I could see it being a way for people to spec whatever their reasons may be and not get yelled at for taking up a spot. Often times newbies want to spec just to learn in general or people want to spec good players to see if they can pick up something. Then they get yelled at for wasting a slot when 1 team starts to lose and they see some one to blame in spectator.

As for performance it shouldn't affect performance correct? I was under the impression a few specs do not increase server load a significant amount.

nah, but for those that already have issues with performance at certain counts and times..
    edited January 2014
    "You were not ban for the above mentioned reason."

were - past tense
    meaning you need to have the word "ban" in its past tense form as well.

The correct sentence form would be:
    "You were not banned for the above mentioned reason."

As per your definition... "Banned" is an adjective. The way you used it in your sentence tells me you meant to use an adjective.

*facepalm

shit just got real y'all.
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Spectating is a tricky thing-

--if you say 20 players + 4 spectators, then what happens on a map change? Is it a race to join and the last 4 to load get screwed(haha you don't have an SSD)? Alternatively if you join a game only to find out after 2-4 minutes of loading that you don't actually get to play...

-- if you say "max 4 spectators" then when 4 players rage and spectate they prevent new blood from taking their place...

Spectating has the potential to help people learn the game, but it also can be abused intentionally or unintentionally very easily.

Is venture to say that 85% of green players have spent <5 minutes looking at tutorials let alone spectating. In my experience 75% of spectators are players who have given up on the current round and 24% are players who think someone is cheating. If you think it's GG then surrender, leave, or keep playing/practicing, don't unbalance the team further by forcing them to play a player down. If you think someone is cheating let an admin deal with it, because no matter what you see or how obvious you think it is you still can't ban.

i'm suggesting that you have 24 slots, and only 20 of those can join teams, last 4 don't get to play. i don't know, its worked in other games, but those were pretty tight servers/communities with almost constant admin presence, to kick afkers if it got too full. might not work here, meh.