Currency/upgrade system?

shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
The title pretty much says it. I understand the focus is on exploration, but will there be a currency or upgrade system? Maybe upgrading your ship?

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    As it's a deep sea exploration game, from what i've gathered, a currency system is unlikely (unless there is of course under-water cities, but that partially destroys the exploration part)
    An upgrade system would be nice though, something like a tech tree? You research it with research points, then you gather merterials and build the upgrade?
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    unless there is of course under-water cities, but that partially destroys the exploration part

But if you had to find them, then it would still be exploring

You research it with research points, then you gather merterials and build the upgrade?

I believe that in this case the research points would be the form of currency

What if you had to go the an underwater city to upgrade your sub?
    That'd be cool
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    These are all good ideas, and we'll probably try them in one form or another to find what works.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    Twig wrote: »
    unless there is of course under-water cities, but that partially destroys the exploration part

But if you had to find them, then it would still be exploring
    But these are meant to be uncharted waters, having cities in them would make them charted. so you would essentially be finding pre-found things.
    UNLESS they are alien cities, that would be nice, maybe.
    You research it with research points, then you gather merterials and build the upgrade?
    I believe that in this case the research points would be the form of currency
    Nope, the currency would be the items involved in making things. the research points research things, not buy things.
    That'd be cool

No it would not. what if you haven't found one yet? sorry, can't upgrade! If we're going to be given underwater cities i would much prefer they be for trade and other small interactions Only.

• GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    That'd be cool

No it would not. what if you haven't found one yet? sorry, can't upgrade! If we're going to be given underwater cities i would much prefer they be for trade and other small interactions Only.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion AurOn; be respectful of Twig's opinion.

On the other hand I feel that it would be necessary for you to at least have to find an area with land or maybe a cave with air before you can upgrade.

Messing with wiring and your hull while underwater is the best idea.