Underwater islands

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I'd like to see very large, "living" islands, floating around, with a very porous sponge-like interior (that you can of-course explore). Internal air-sacks would keep the island neutrally buoyant, making it able to stay below the surface. It would be covered by all kinds of corals and such, and surrounded by thousands of fish and other sea life. The larger corals would be able to propel the island somewhat, pointing to a hive-like intelligence, although it would mostly follow the ocean currents.

Finding one would be very rare and you may even move your operations to follow it for a time while investigating it.

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Interesting, I like the idea. Maybe there could be collectibles or some kind of stealth encounter where there's a very dangerous enemy inside the interior and yet there's a great reward at the end?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Wait wait wait, underwater islands?
    Is that even a thing? If it is, im going diving, now!
    Srsly though, internal air pockets would mean it's an oxygen box? (for lack of a better term) thereby you can walk around and breathe in the air? O.O
    I was thinking something along the lines of having a floating island :P For instance an island on top of the ocean, while underneath (just as an example) the trees from above the surface have roots that are so large and thick they form tunnels underwater ^^ Just brainstorming.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see very large, "living" islands, floating around, with a very porous sponge-like interior (that you can of-course explore). Internal air-sacks would keep the island neutrally buoyant, making it able to stay below the surface. It would be covered by all kinds of corals and such, and surrounded by thousands of fish and other sea life. The larger corals would be able to propel the island somewhat, pointing to a hive-like intelligence, although it would mostly follow the ocean currents.

Finding one would be very rare and you may even move your operations to follow it for a time while investigating it.

Seems nice but the idea would need a lot of work. I'm not exactly sure how this would work but i'm pretty sure if the devs tried they could come up with something.
    It actually wouldn't be that much different to caves no?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Possibly, although exploring around the outside of the island would be just has important.

My inspiration is that the ocean is big, and cave-style exploration is only possible along sloping cost or at the ocean floor. The remaining 99% of the open ocean could be very boring if there are not diverse and interesting things to discover.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    So basically floating blobs of earth in the middle of the ocean (with no physical connection to anything else) With air pockets in the middle?
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Amazing idea, love it.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    This is making me think of the movie "Life of Pi"
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Possibly, although exploring around the outside of the island would be just has important.

My inspiration is that the ocean is big, and cave-style exploration is only possible along sloping cost or at the ocean floor. The remaining 99% of the open ocean could be very boring if there are not diverse and interesting things to discover.

We agree. :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There are also certainly known and recently discovered ancient temples/buildings beneath the ocean near some coastlines around world. Built above ground in seismic areas long ago... not so above ground these days. Also for exploring and discovering, what about shipwrecks? Shipwrecks-turned-reefs? Not sure how much you'd all wanna include as far as human elements go, but they're sure under the sea.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    2cough wrote: »
    There are also certainly known and recently discovered ancient temples/buildings beneath the ocean near some coastlines around world. Built above ground in seismic areas long ago... not so above ground these days. Also for exploring and discovering, what about shipwrecks? Shipwrecks-turned-reefs? Not sure how much you'd all wanna include as far as human elements go, but they're sure under the sea.
    i think that'd be a great idea! The ruins don't have to be of human origin either... dun dun DUNN