Subnautica Concept Art: Cave Thing - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Concept Art: Cave Thing - Subnautica

Subnautica will take you to diverse environments: From lava, to ice, to coral, and more. In these environments, you will encounter all sorts of creatures, big and small. The above image is Cave Thing, and is a piece of Subnautica concept art that tries to give form to several gameplay ideas. Cave Thing is painted with a diver’s mask at the edges, hinting at Subnautica’s first person nature. On right right, a small vehicle of some kind if shining lights on to the evidently bemused creature. Small vehicles will be pilotable (or this one an un-manned drone, supporting the swimming player?), deploying from ‘mothership’ style larger vessels (See Exterior Sketch for more about this!). Most importantly, this little encounter is …

Read the full story here

Comments

• AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Opening the comments thread...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Cave thing - a very descriptive name :D

Also, imagine exploring huge cave systems underwater o.O
    That could be really cool!
  • X_IlluminatiX_Illuminati Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22295Members, Constellation
    Your medium wallpaper link is broken...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Will you be able to get lost in said caves? They might be so deep that your communications lose a connection to the mothership/submarine.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Caves would be really cool, imagine all the glowing / phosphorescent entities that could be in there to help you along :D
  • CelcioCelcio Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167703Members
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That 'Thing' is very cave like
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    slag looks impresive!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    @hugh Medium wallpaper link leads to this, while it's a medium sized wallpaper, it's the wrong medium sized wallpaper. :P
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Sounds like people dig caves :P Argh no pun intended.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Sounds like people dig caves :P Argh no pun intended.

da361_ORIG-I_see_what_you_did_there_bird.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Hes rather derpy looking in an amusing way, cant tell if hes a threat or not...

I like the idea of having an NPC helper drone, which of course needs an adorably cute, helpless voice so you feel awful if it gets attacked.

• TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Reeke wrote: »
    I like the idea of having an NPC helper drone, which of course needs an adorably cute, helpless voice so you feel awful if it gets attacked.
    Like a mac, but for underwater

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Twig wrote: »
    Reeke wrote: »
    Like a mac, but for underwater

Can I bring you some coffee, sir? *blub*
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Loving the look of the drone. The four fins make it reminiscant of that huge water dinosaur (forgot its name).

However, I'm a little disapointed by the Cave Thing itself. I was hoping for more of a forms follows function approach to the monster designs. Like the design of the female armour in NS2, which wasn't designed for the looks but for providing protection and agility.

Looking at the cave thing there are several things that don't make any sense to me from a biological/evolutionary standpoint. The screw housing would never be able to provide any protection to the enormous body (unlike the hermit crab's housings in our world). The second feature I find irritating are the teeth. They show no symmetry and that prominent tooth in the upper jaw (second from the left) looks like a carnivore premolar, which is used to cut soft tissue. All this doesn't fit very well with an underwater biome in my opinion.

Now, I am aware that evolution has produced some pretty wonky stuff that seems to lack any functionality. But if Cory is referencing real world traits and they seem to be totally out of place, it makes me wonder how much attention is given to "believability". I'm not drawing conclusions here, after all, I don't know the bigger picture of Cory's vision. I just hope that in the end I will be able to draw some enjoyment from the congruity of lifeforms and their body plans.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    This is an ALIEN planet, it is not supposed to be a sea on Earth. Don't get too bogged down with 'Realism'. This is a computer game after all. Gameplay & Artistic License trump realism at all times when necessary.

The only issue I have with cave thing is that it's eyes look like the '3D Printer Arms' of the IP and ProtoLab from NS2, haha.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    This is an ALIEN planet, it is not supposed to be a sea on Earth. Don't get too bogged down with 'Realism'. This is a computer game after all. Gameplay & Artistic License trump realism at all times when necessary.

The only issue I have with cave thing is that it's eyes look like the '3D Printer Arms' of the IP and ProtoLab from NS2, haha.
    now that you mention it... can't unsee.
    Maybe its a tribute to NS2 lol

• lolcatlolcat Lol Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204033Members
    I think the "cave thing" would be awesome to see in game and maybe it's name could be nightmare or glow crab?
    And the drone i think it would be awesome if it had a cute little high pitched robot voice and when it gets attacked by something like a reaper it could say AAH HELP ME and a use for the drone you could store items in it and when A hostile creature is coming close it could have a screen on its side showing a picture of the creature and how close it is
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited May 2015
    I'm hoping that they aren't hostile to the player. There's already a lot of that already. The big feel of a 'living' world is that it's a world that can 'live' without you, and that not everything in it really cares if you're around or not. Having a truck-sized crustacean that goes about its business and doesn't pay you a whit of attention adds more to the game than another thing that has no purpose in life other than to eat you and only you like the Leviathan, bleeders, and cave crawlers. I'm willing to give bonesharks and stalkers a pass on this, since they will chase after (certain) fish, although I think they pay far too much attention to the player than they should.

it adds that much more variety, even, if it demonstrated defensive behavior around the player, such as skulking away when it sees you. Even big things can be spooked by the unfamiliar.
  • ShagohadShagohad Earth Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203053Members
    I'm more keen on that fat rover beaming a light over it. What's up with that?
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    Nice more crab thingies please :D
  • papragupapragu Home Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202455Members
    Looking at the cave thing there are several things that don't make any sense to me from a biological/evolutionary standpoint.

This is all i have to say to that.
    441643.jpg
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    evolution and sense dont rly fit into he same sentence
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited May 2015
    Evolution doesn't have to make sense, it is what it is even if it defy "human" logic :p
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Looks pretty cool, i'd call it a cave shellcrab, maybe it's hostile???
  • theodoulostheodoulos United States Join Date: 2015-04-14 Member: 203448Members
    If they are going to add more creatures would be nice if they weren't hostile...dont mind new ones being such just think any more and it would start to be becoming a bit too much hostiles vs. passives population ratio. My opinion passives should outnumber hostiles by a little over half.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Actually now that i think about it, the cave shellcrab maybe rivals with the rock puncher, shellcrab is passive towards you and tries to protect you from those rock puncher, that might actually be pretty cool maybe we can make the shellcrab a pet.
  • FisteFiste USA Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204924Members
    oooooooooooo angry snail :D
  • PunkeroPunkero Finland Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203733Members
    Making it defensive (if you swim too close or attack it, it would become hostile), would make most sense.
  • DarkShadow270DarkShadow270 United States Of America Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205051Members
    edited August 2015
    Zourin wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they aren't hostile to the player. There's already a lot of that already. The big feel of a 'living' world is that it's a world that can 'live' without you, and that not everything in it really cares if you're around or not. Having a truck-sized crustacean that goes about its business and doesn't pay you a whit of attention adds more to the game than another thing that has no purpose in life other than to eat you and only you like the Leviathan, bleeders, and cave crawlers. I'm willing to give bonesharks and stalkers a pass on this, since they will chase after (certain) fish, although I think they pay far too much attention to the player than they should.

it adds that much more variety, even, if it demonstrated defensive behavior around the player, such as skulking away when it sees you. Even big things can be spooked by the unfamiliar.
    Bleeders, as I am interested (Yet disgusted) by them, will actually attack stalkers and feast on dead & dying animals, the Reaper Leviathan could be a new mutant AND OR adapting a new diet, OR (Yes, another OR) it eats random things/eats radiation, so far, we don't know what it eats... The mouth & everything looks very predatory, but so does a Gorilla, but a Gorilla is an herbivore and uses it's teeth and strength as a defense, the Reaper-Leviathan could actually eat radiation, and just makes it's habit close to the ship because the ship will offer enough radiation (Even though you turn off the generators,) Cave crawlers could be a mutated insect (Similar to the Reaper Leviathan (RL for short) and absorb radiation and/or eat metal, cause they have that glowing sort of effect!

*sigh* I'm a nerd XD