THE FIX! Black Screen Launch Startup Menu

GibbyLOLGibbyLOL Join Date: 2012-07-26 Member: 154371Members
edited June 2013 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">fixes the black screen on launch page for ns2</div>I tried everything to fix the blackscreen, and I finally figured it out. Someone had posted the fix in a sneaky spot in the forums, so i'm just making a new topic.

Here is the final copy of the instructions, cleaned up by user Whosat.

Fixed the black screen on launch.

[list][*]Run <b>dxsetup</b> in <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><i>drive</i>\Program Files<i> (x86)</i>\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
[*]Delete the folder <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><i>drive</i>\Program Files<i> (x86)</i>\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
[*]Press the Windows key and R (Win+R) and type <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto-->%APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> then press enter.
Delete all the files in this folder
[*]Verify the Integrity of the NS2 Game Cache:
In Steam, go to the Natural Selection 2 menu option, Right-click>Properties>Local Files>Verify Integrity of Cache
(this will re-download the files you deleted, but it will be the correct files this time)
[/list]
Then it will give you a message saying it's done. Then you're all set, good to play NS2.

Edit1: Fixed step 3.
Edit2: User Whosat cleaned up instructions.(Formatted so its easier to understand)

Comments

• ChickenbombChickenbomb Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164648Members
    I do not have the Shader folder in my Steam common folder.
  • GibbyLOLGibbyLOL Join Date: 2012-07-26 Member: 154371Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2002101:date=Oct 30 2012, 11:53 PM:name=Chickenbomb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chickenbomb @ Oct 30 2012, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do not have the Shader folder in my Steam common folder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My bad, it's supposed to be shaders. if it's not there, then verify the local content on ns2.

I fixed step 3, if you want to re-read the last bit of the directory. Thank you for pointing that out.
  • ChickenbombChickenbomb Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164648Members
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\shaders

You missed an extra NS2 folder before the shaders folder.
    <!--quoteo(post=2002115:date=Oct 31 2012, 12:01 AM:name=Chickenbomb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chickenbomb @ Oct 31 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\shaders

You missed an extra NS2 folder before the shaders folder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    thanks again for spotting that
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <ol type='1'><li>Run <b>dxsetup</b> in <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><i>drive</i>\Program Files<i> (x86)</i>\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></li><li>Delete the folder <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><i>drive</i>\Program Files<i> (x86)</i>\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></li><li>Press the Windows key and R (Win+R) and type <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto-->%APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> then press enter.
    Delete all the files in this folder</li><li>Verify the Integrity of the NS2 Game Cache:
    In Steam, go to the Natural Selection 2 menu option, Right-click>Properties>Local Files>Verify Integrity of Cache
    (this will re-download the files you deleted, but it will be the correct files this time)</li></ol>
    Then it will give you a message saying it's done. Then you're all set, good to play NS2.

(Formatted so its easier to understand)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2002306:date=Oct 31 2012, 10:42 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Oct 31 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ol type='1'><li>Run <b>dxsetup</b> in <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><i>drive</i>\Program Files<i> (x86)</i>\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></li><li>Delete the folder <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto--><i>drive</i>\Program Files<i> (x86)</i>\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></li><li>Press the Windows key and R (Win+R) and type <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto-->%APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> then press enter.
    Delete all the files in this folder</li><li>Verify the Integrity of the NS2 Game Cache:
    (this will re-download the files you deleted, but it will be the correct files this time)</li></ol>

(Formatted so its easier to understand)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm borrowing that for the sticky, cheers!
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sure! Glad its of use! :)
    I hope this fixes future problems with black screen on start-up. Just make sure you delete the right files/folders, and let steam re-download those by verifying the files and you're good to go.

The first time I did this, I still had black screen for about 5 seconds, then it loaded fine. Then my first game took a little bit longer than normal to load, since it was saying loading in shaders out of 49 or something along the lines. After that, all my games have been extremely smooth and fast to load up and get going.

Cheers,
    GibbyLOL
  • DrAlfonsoDrAlfonso Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185448Members
    please help this error i cannot play since i cannot click on anything it dosent load it makes no sense and i just bought the game today i have been looking everywhere!
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846954921920728351/
  • WormWorm Join Date: 2013-07-08 Member: 185996Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dammit. Can't even do the first step cause there is no directx folder and therefore no dxsetup file.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Look for redist folder @worm
  • UnknownPedroUnknownPedro Morocco Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191257Members
    Where i can download dxsetup ?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Run dxsetup in drive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\

or you can download the latest directx from MS I guess. SHOULD be backwards compatible.
    Run dxsetup in drive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\

in my files there is Run dxsetup in drive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\Jun2010/ should i install it here ?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    install it on its default location.
    the location in your steamapps is a source, not a destination.
    I did all the steps but i got this problem in the end : http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8830/l6t3.jpg

Help !
    Thats not a problem. 88 files got screwed and steam is redownloading them.