Perfect NS2 Server Settings & Mods

zer02zer02 Join Date: 2013-08-06 Member: 186590Members
edited December 2013 in Server Discussion
Hello people,

I am thinking of hosting a dedicated NS2 Server.
What kind of settings & mods would you say, make a (perfect) very good server to play on? Quality time.

Thanks!

Comments

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    good, fair moderators/admins that play on your server.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You would probably get better answers asking this in the server section of the forums. There are many experience ns2 server admins there.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    It has have good connection with no lag, have all nsl maps, a lot of admins. That's mostly it.
  • zer02zer02 Join Date: 2013-08-06 Member: 186590Members
    Thanks so far. NSL Maps. Maybe some vote system? Auto-Start after 4 mins waiting time? Reserved slots? :)
  • lepidus99lepidus99 Australia Join Date: 2013-12-14 Member: 190069Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Ok first of all there is no perfect server setup:

I'll just write some of my thoughts about how a server should be configurated:

Mods:

Admin Mods:

- Shine (lot of features and a great framework/lib for other devs, look here for infos https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki )
    - Dak (old but gold)

Stats Mod:

- [Shine] Ns2Stats (saves roundlogs to ns2stats.com and also enables UWE Hive, Infos here: https://github.com/BrightPaul/NS2Stats.com/wiki)

Costumable Mods:

- Custom HUD
    - Player Badges
    - Bindable voice orders commander keys and more!
    - Badges meets Bindable (if you want to use multiple of the above 3)
    - Buy Menu Hotkeys
    - Team Info HUD

New Gamemodes:

- Combat Mod
    - Factions
    - Last Stand 2.0
    -Proving Ground
    (outdated atm)
    -(Xenoswarm)
    -(The Faded)
    -(MvM)

Beside there is alot of seasonal stuff and smaller mods you may find intressting but those are the major NS2 server mods I know of.

I don't like the idea of adding skins and models to your server as you force every player on your server to use those. Better open your Consistency Check so players are able to use those mods by themself.

Also about the NSL and WC Mod: those are supossed to be used at competive servers, so only use them if your server is part of the competive scene.

Notable Costum Maps (just the most favorite ones):

- ns2_jambi
    - ns2_kodiak
    - ns2_caged
    - ns2_goliath
    - ns2_tanith

For the single new gamemodes we have some more great maps.

Best way to find your perfect setup is to visit other servers and see how the manage things and adjust them on your server so you feel you have it the way it is in your opinion the best.

Some Tipps: Building a community around a server and getting some moderators can be really helpfull.

I hope this post helps and hope to see your server in my favs ;)
    Thank you very much Ghoul!
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Don't forget to block textures mod on aliens. And to allow Alien Vision mods. It's a shame that so much server still allow texture cheats.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Don't forget to block textures mod on aliens. And to allow Alien Vision mods. It's a shame that so much server still allow texture cheats.

Alien Visions are allowed by default.

To make it easy i'll just post my current used ConsistencyConfig.json (allows as much as possible without allowing to use mods which give players advantages):
    https://gist.github.com/BrightPaul/26ca9bab503ef821f8af
    Thanks I will use it.

I am looking for a ranking exp system. I saw player badges mod and was asking myself if there was a mod that gives player xp for playing on the server and giving them badges for like 1h = private, 4h=sergeant etc. Do you have to restart the server to make players have badges ( I mean the .json file to take effect?).
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2013

And textures are locked too, but it doesn't prevent server admins to lock/unlock them.

edited December 2013
    zer02 wrote: »
    Thanks I will use it.

I am looking for a ranking exp system. I saw player badges mod and was asking myself if there was a mod that gives player xp for playing on the server and giving them badges for like 1h = private, 4h=sergeant etc. Do you have to restart the server to make players have badges ( I mean the .json file to take effect?).

About the exp system, i am still waiting for player badge mod to support multiple badge rows, but i have such a plugin allready rdy based on hive lvl.

About badges taking effect, nope mapchange will do it. Everything is reloaded with mapchange.

And textures are locked too, but it doesn't prevent server admins to lock/unlock them.

Main issue the ConsistencyConfig.json doesn't get updated with a ns2 update. So some servers still have the outdated 246 version because of lazy server admins. Just avoid those servers.