Pre order date & cost

Rooky47Rooky47 kansas Join Date: 2013-11-10 Member: 189256Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
I was wondering how much and when the pre order date will be I'm just worried about that not the official launch date of alpha/beta ex

Comments

• Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited December 2013
    Aren't you jumping the gun a little here? Give them a chance to actually make something first. I honestly don't expect you'll be seeing any preorders until a substantial portion of the game is complete as I really doubt UWE want a repeat of the NS2 preorder train wreck. At the time, as a fledgling indie studio they didn't really have too much of a choice, but now as a more established studio with a rising reputation to look after and more importantly an income to fund development, I doubt they'd be masochistic enough to deal with the grief and pressure that came with selling a game that doesn't exist outside of a piece of paper.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    Aren't you jumping the gun a little here?
    Congratulations, you found the joke. Here have a cookie.

That said, I wouldn't consider NS2's pre-order a train wreck. They were perfectly clear that the people that decided to "pre-order" way back before alpha were investing in an idea without any guarantees attached.UWE has been very transparent about that, and it has become pretty much the standard in a lot of the crowdfunding projects. If UWEkeeps communicating their ideas, their vision and their reasoning behind their decisions, I'd again be happy to front them some bucks on this project. I don't even need blackplating for my sub ;)

edited December 2013
    Solaris wrote: »
    Aren't you jumping the gun a little here?
    Congratulations, you found the joke. Here have a cookie.

My post was for the OP not you, but you can't have your cookie back :)
    Solaris wrote: »
    That said, I wouldn't consider NS2's pre-order a train wreck. They were perfectly clear that the people that decided to "pre-order" way back before alpha were investing in an idea without any guarantees attached.

"Coming Fall 2009" comes to mind, not that anyone that knew UWE and how they "nailed" deadlines at the time actually expected it to come out by then, but I don't think anyone thought it would take over three years (I voted Fall 2010).

Theres a lot more to it than that though. I'm pretty sure they went through mental hell trying to get the game out. Delay after delay, after delay while watching the money well run dry and knowing that sooner or later people are going to demand refunds. If they have another option, Id say they'll take it and spare themselves this hellish little roller coaster ride this time around.

Building up a reputation in the industry is important and its also quite clear they do a lot to build community good will as well. Their ability to keep deadlines has also vastly improved. I doubt they'd want to risk losing that by launching another one of these unless they can't actually fund further development and need the surge of extra cash to finish.
  • Rooky47Rooky47 kansas Join Date: 2013-11-10 Member: 189256Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    They better not turn this into a minecraft style game or release the game alpha to the public like most games.
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig.
    So, yes, we certainly plan on having a fairly early playable preorder phase for SN, because we know that getting that early feedback can help us steer the ship (or sub) in the right direction.

That's the key difference I'm talking about.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that NS2 preorder was a bad move. In fact, I assume it was unavoidable to get NS2 development rolling. Train wreck may have been a bit strong, but releasing a preorder for a game that didn't exist yet was a big (albeit necessary at the time) gamble that didn't exactly go "smoothly".
    It wasn't just a formality. It was a do or die kind of thing. A lot went wrong, but you pulled through and so did the people who trusted you with their money. Once you started rolling out playable builds things probably picked up, but the first phase when time was ticking away and release was still just a dot on the horizon must have been development hell.

I know for a fact you guys worked your ass off to get that game out the door and deliver something that wasn't just "there" but actually make it as great as it can be, and you still are. I appreciate that.

Early access is a great way to do things, you already gave a ton of reasons for it so I won't reiterate . I simply didn't expect any preorders launching until you have a playable functioning build ready. From what you're saying, that's going to be the case.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    You don't have to play the alpha, @rooky47, if you don't want to. mind, the alpha for ns2 was the most fun experience i'ver EVER HAD. Well and the beta.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Ugh 6 years, making me so impatient. But, I strongly agree there should be an Alpha (early access) just because an exploration based game with a procedural ocean screams "TESTING" to me. And of course I'd buy it early as possible :P
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    We do NOT want to take a long time with this game. NS2 was very draining, so we'll be scoping down heavily to get something into your eager hands sooner rather than later.
    Just make sure its not too soon. We don't want an EA game.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So somewhere between now and 6 years. Valve time
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Flayra wrote: »
    We do NOT want to take a long time with this game. NS2 was very draining, so we'll be scoping down heavily to get something into your eager hands sooner rather than later.

But NS2 is awesome! Well worth it!

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
  • zbott105zbott105 Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225902Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members