Ministry of Silly Strats

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello, this is the Ministry of Silly Strats. Please share your silly strats and I, the Minister of Silly, will determine if it is a silly enough start. Please share so we can all laugh and attempt them at our own mercy. A silly strat must be pretty ridiculous but still possible. More often that not they are difficult if not detrimental to use.

Some of my favorites I have read from below include:

Gorge Hydra Rush - The process of at least one gorge going into marine base, preferably starting base, and placing and defending all his/their hydras. I have done this alone once, and often with a buddy. To be really effective you need at least 3 gorges but the more the better. 9 can take out marines and structures quick. Once you are set up you need to hop around keeping it so the marines can't focus one gorge down. Heal your buddies so they can heal you too. Spit when you have an opportunity to help kill marines and structures. Bonus points if you can build some clog defenses too. Extra bonus points if you can get a gorge tunnel with support structures such as crag/shift/whip.

Turret Rush - Build a robo factory in base. Send everyone to the hive (ideally the long way, to avoid most of the skulks). Set up turrets in a spot with LoS to the hive. Protect the turrets until they take the hive down. Bonus points if you get an armory and mines up too.

Early Whip Rush - Requires gorges, and shift hive is extremely helpful. Have a gorge build whips. Get tunnel to marine base. Echo whips. Another way includes cysting into marine base quickly with gorge support. Works great in tandem with Gorge Hydra Rush.

Whack a Gorge - Have as many players go gorge as possible. Get at least two gorge tunnels into marine base. Build more tunnels within marine base. Go in and out of tunnels as unpredictable as possible spitting at marines and structures. Turns into whack a skulk. Works great in tandem with Gorge Hydra Rush.

No Cyst Xeno Rush - Best executed on veil. Every single alien goes gorge, drops a tunnel in nano, and two reaming tech point RTs, all the gorges clog up rooms (including alien start), grow harvesters really fast, put hydras, power building hives etc. Khamm spends no res on cysts or drifters, only has to manage res correctly (i.e. build whips, start skulk upgrades, bio upgrades, drop hives). According to my calculations, xeno is possible in between 5-6, tho we tried a few times (pub) and never had flawless execution, xeno was at about 7 minutes. When xeno is done, invest in gorge upgrade + shift hive to teleport eggs. You don't want any upgrades, as your skulks don't explode when they evolve... Get shifts around the map, so skulks can leap a lot to gain speed, instead of wasting time to get cele. And spam eggs.

Exo/Jetpack Rush - Can be completed in ~5 minutes. Get a as many rt's as you can and defend them as best as possible. Once your protolab choice is done, rush alien hive. Selling AA when rushing exos is a nice way to get extra money for upgrades and macs.

Catpack Rush - Get your two natural rt's while catpacks are researching. Be as conservative with your res as possible. Once catpacks are research rush alien hive. Provide cat packs, medpacks, and ammo as needed. Infinite bonus points to those who axe hive to death. 5 marines with catpacks will axe a hive down in seconds.

Whack a Rine Turtle - Place as many phasegates in base as possible in base in random locations, so aliens can't tell where you will be coming from next. Upgrades, and infantry portals amount will determine success.

Flaming Tower Turtle - Get as many welder marines and flamethrower marines in command station as possible. Welders keep the command chair's hp up while flamethrower's keep aliens from attacking. Drop medpacks and ammo on chair as needed to keep marines alive. Spores can penetrate chair. Extremely difficult. Please record if you attempt this. Please.

Air France - Everyone goes lerk at 25 pres and rushes marine start. Bonus points if everyone spams the taunt key (KAA KAAAA!). Massive bonus points if you manage to have umbra or spore up in time.

The Centipede - Have marine get their axes out. Have every marine walk in a single file line directly to the hive. Bonus points if they walk in a S pattern.

The Dragon - Rush Flamethrowers. Have every marine walk in a single file line directly to the hive. Bonus points if they walk in a S pattern.

Welders OP - Every marine gets a welder. Have every marine drop guns, to have slightly more agility. Focus on dodging skulks and everying group weld a skulk. The welders range and DPS will kill a skulk quickly especially with a team mate. Walk to hive. Kill hive. Only works early game, lerks and higher are immune to this. Gorges are pesky with their spits, just dodge.

Drifter Spam - Send copious amounts of drifters along side a base rush. The drifters will distract marines visually, reduce their fps, and be meat shields for higher life forms. Move them around so they can't be focused down.

The Slow Rush - Have a gorge build cysts and support structures and slowly move your defenses towards marine base. Eventually into marine base. A gorge and at least two skulks are needed. Decimate everything in your path.

Grenade Launcher Rush - Get two groups of marines standing on opposite ends of hive. Spam grenades at each other till hive is dead.

Hand Grenade Rush - Spam grenades into hive until dead. Need armory.

Mine Rush - Every marine buys mines. Walk to hive. Place mines everywhere. Laugh as skulks try to get to you. As they suicide themselves to remove mines, shoot down hive.

Trapped - Get gorge tunnels in marine naturals early game. Defend and block them inside.

Sentry DOOM - Must find location where 3 sets of sentries can be placed in close proximity or it doesn't count as silly. Only known location at the moment is on Tram (north tunnels, platform, and warehouse) Picture here. If you know more locations like this please inform, remember must be three sets of sentries or more.

Trojan Arcs - Build 2-3 ARCs in Base (for example lets say Terminal) have everyone but one or two team members protect the ARC train as it marches towards departures. While the slow train is getting attacked by the aliens the two remaining marines ninja phase a gate into back hallway. As soon as the phase goes up, Beacon and everyone runs in and kills Locker Room. Bonus points for axeing hive.

Homeless - Run around in huge pack (all 9 marines) and build stuff in miliseconds, if anything goes wrong, you just drop CC at whatever point is closer to marines (then probably IP, so you die and spawn there), and they proceed to new location, destroying every alien res they might encounter and building our on it's place. In theory, you can have whole map of extractors in very very short time, and you never have to worry about base rush, since your base is where you are.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Duel labs:
    If you have the res, two labs lets you max out your marines insanely fast (not sure of actual times). It even better if you hide one well, as a backup.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If you can get to hive LOS and survive there long enough to setup turrets you don't need turrets to kill the hive :P

Exo rush is hilarious. GL dealing with a team full of exos when you barely got 2nd hive up and just saving for bile. Yeah sure you can get bile early too, but why, for the uber small chance of an exo rush?`:f
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Not researching Phasegates for the first 10 min, and instead create 1/2 IPs at every TP you capture to keep an even spread accross the map.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    1. Whip rush: Shift hive, shift, 4-6 whips, gorge with some support rushes to enemy base, drops a tunnel, whips echoed!
    2. No cyst xeno rush: Best executed on veil. Every single alien goes gorge, drops a tunnel in nano, and two reaming tech point RTs, all the gorges clog up rooms (including alien start), grow harvesters really fast, put hydras, power building hives etc. Khamm spends no res on cysts or drifters, only has to manage res correctly (i.e. build whips, start skulk upgrades, bio upgrades, drop hives). According to my calculations, xeno is possible in between 5-6, tho we tried a few times (pub) and never had flawless execution, xeno was at about 7 minutes. When xeno is done, invest in gorge upgrade + shift hive to teleport eggs. You don't want any upgrades, as your skulks don't explode when they evolve... Get shifts around the map, so skulks can leap a lot to gain speed, instead of wasting time to get cele. And spam eggs.
    3. Early arcs - nothing better than arcing a hive vs no bile no shade aliens.
    4. Rushing exos is always fun, just make sure you hide proto well, so aliens won't get bile and tons of whips in base when they see 4 minute proto. Also, selling AA when rushing exos is a nice way to get extra money for upgrades / macs.

BTW, anyone tried catpack rush? With increased axing speed, hive should go down in seconds + decreased time to get to hive. Probs too expensive for early game?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    shriike wrote: »
    The Blue Babbler Squad arc rush strat on veil.
    That's not silly. That's serious stuff right there.

Cat pack axe rush. I will try that.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    xen32 wrote: »
    BTW, anyone tried catpack rush? With increased axing speed, hive should go down in seconds + decreased time to get to hive. Probs too expensive for early game?
    Catpack rushes are awesome. If a team of 4-5 have shotguns you can kill the Hive in like <15 seconds. Probably around 2-3 minute game.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Catpack rushes are awesome. If a team of 4-5 have shotguns you can kill the Hive in like <15 seconds. Probably around 2-3 minute game.

Not as satisfying as axes though!
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    edited December 2013
    I'm always fond of finding the power lines between the rooms and putting up sentries that cover sentries.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    turret to cover a turret. Thats new. may be you can make a turret farm circle and make it impossible to assault without bile :-)
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    4 Minute Leap

Fast Drop hive (gorge power builds)
    Drifter
    RT @ natural between 1st and 2nd hive
    RT @ 2nd hive
    Biomass upgrade on Hive 1
    Biomass upgrade on Hive 2
    Drop whip
    Research leap

Providing nothing dies, you can begin leap research at 3:40 and have it completed by 4:20-30.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    4 Minute Leap

Fast Drop hive (gorge power builds)
    Drifter
    RT @ natural between 1st and 2nd hive
    RT @ 2nd hive
    Biomass upgrade on Hive 1
    Biomass upgrade on Hive 2
    Drop whip
    Research leap

Providing nothing dies, you can begin leap research at 3:40 and have it completed by 4:20-30.
    It takes much longer to upgrade skulk than biomass, so if I were you rushing leap, I'd start skulk first, and then researched biomass.

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Ns2 is a fun game, so all these strats are good. I am looking for more cheese factor though. Catpack axe hive kill.
    Benson wrote: »
    You want cheese?!?!?!

Defending your base by building over a dozen PGs, and shooting aliens as you phase from one gate to another.
    (All placed at random in the room, and with multiple teamates doing this ofc)

P.S. This is a holdover from my favorite turtle-tactic in NS1, except then there were telefrags ;)
    That might be fun...

I already enjoy trying to fit as many welders as possible at the start of the wrong into the CC. Then recycle ips. Only with a consenting team though.
    Catalyst rush proved to be viable:

We weren't a real team (played together for two days only), made up whole tactics right before the match, had some miscommunication (so one dude took wrong way to hive and died in crevice), but as you can see, it still was almost successful.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @xen32 So clooose! Maybe if you'd switched to shooting a few seconds earlier hehe.
    Catalyst rush proved to be viable:

We weren't a real team (played together for two days only), made up whole tactics right before the match, had some miscommunication (so one dude took wrong way to hive and died in crevice), but as you can see, it still was almost successful.
    I did a catpack rush too. I told my buddy about it and we decided we would try it at some point. In one game, he was commander, and we decided to go for a base rush so he researched catpacks. Aliens also did a base rush. We realized this and all 7 or so of us axed the hive, some catpacked, to win. Was fun. 1:30 minute game.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Onos rush? Well actually that almost never happens.

Shade start is a very good strat IF your can use it correctly.

I think we all know that gate rush next to enemy hive

Lastly would be jetpacks/gl rush
    coolitic wrote: »
    Onos rush? Well actually that almost never happens.

Shade start is a very good strat IF your can use it correctly.

I think we all know that gate rush next to enemy hive

Lastly would be jetpacks/gl rush
    Not silly enough strats.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'd really wanna try catpack rush, but even a single skulk going around the hive forces marines to take rifles out, unless they wanna get chomped. So you need to get pretty damn lucky to get to the hive with no skulks. Right? :-?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    P.S. This is a holdover from my favorite turtle-tactic in NS1, except then there were telefrags ;)

Telefrag em all and let the hive mind sort em out!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    AirFrance is fun. Can you imagine if EVERYONE in pubs went lerk at 25 pres?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I feel like this thread is becoming the Ministry of Silly Strats

You wont get an endorsement from the Ministry unless your strat is silly enough.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

You wont get an endorsement from the Ministry unless your strat is silly enough.
    Well you can't expect to get government backing if it ain't silly enough! We have to draw the line somewhere!
    NeXuS wrote: »
    AirFrance is fun. Can you imagine if EVERYONE in pubs went lerk at 25 pres?
    Is fun and silly. Gorge is better but harder.

Since I am the only one proclaiming strats are not silly enough, am I the minister of silly?

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Believe it or not, lots of babblers take down comm chairs surprisingly fast. They suck at hitting pretty much anything else but the comm chair is one of the few structures large enough for lots of babblers to hit.

Flamethrower rushes are lols. Frankly, it's quite a viable strat to rush SGs and AA - get a bunch of grenadiers, one flamer to take the hive and a couple of SGs to make sure the former guys dont die on the way in, and you can take a hive down very fast, very early.

Exo rushes almost always fail. Out of all the 'rush X' marine strats, exos are the worst by miles. Such a shame, exos used to be cool but now they are crap.

If you're sneaky, you can edge a shade closer and closer to a marine base as you also cyst into it one cyst at a time, concealing your cysts from the marines, until you're close enough for the cysts to build quickly and you echo some whips in :)

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I want to get 10 competent players on alien and try parasite only. It'd need to be in a big server to get enough parasites to land in quick succession, though.

We tried a stomp only game a while back but there were a couple of people cheating by using gore or not going onos. Think we had stomp up by about the 7 or 8 minute mark...