Melee crosshairs

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
edited December 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Can these please be added to the game? The alien weapon/mouth models/animations are in no way reflective of the hitbox(the screen area you will actually do damage in), this adds unnecessary difficulty to playing aliens especially for new players who might expect the hitbox to match the animation (what an absurd assumption amirite?). I know there are mods but often they are blocked by consistency checking, and besides players should not have to turn to mods for basic features likes this. A basic assortment of crosshairs for marines to chose from (dot, x, + etc.) would also be very nice.
If I understand correctly this will also produce crosshairs for grenades as well since they share the same file. Something I have seen other people on the forums asking for.

Also axes, gotta have those axe kills.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Look up deathmongers custom crosshairs. Best ones out there.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use the J13 crosshairs, they give you a nice little x for melee.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    james888 wrote: »
    Look up deathmongers custom crosshairs. Best ones out there.

I would have to disagree, but then that's why I went and made my own crosshairs a long time ago (pink dot all weapons+melee+exos)

Anyway, you can find dozens of crosshair mods on the steam workshop and it is fairly easy to make your own if those aren't good enough (and VERY easy to take an existing crosshair mod and apply it to all weapons including melee). Crosshair mods are whitelisted for all servers and even allowed in competitive afaik.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    If you have PaintNET, you can edit any crosshairs mods you download. For instance if you would prefer a dot instead of an X or vice versa, you change them pretty easily. If you need help doing so, message me and I'll help you make your crosshairs how you like. :) I use Frozen's Cornerless Box-Hairs. I just made the lines a little thicker in PaintNET so I could see them easier. I've also tried different colors like Neon Green, Pink, and White. White is the best IMO for any crosshair
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I think mine are best!

Now for the all out answer.. either make your own or check the workshop for any you like.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    white dot, classic. the defaults, while pretty, are completely useless to me. and skulking, middle of screen is pretty big, don't really need. you should be aiming for dead center anyway.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    white dot, classic. the defaults, while pretty, are completely useless to me. and skulking, middle of screen is pretty big, don't really need. you should be aiming for dead center anyway.

I disagree, it is VERY important to know where the dead center is at all times. Without a crosshair it's easy to misjudge center and aim an inch to the left/right and miss more. More so with larger screens. I do think not including a bite crosshair by default was a horrible horrible mistake on UWE's part.

A bite cone crosshair might be beneficial.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    NeXuS wrote: »
    If you have PaintNET, you can edit any crosshairs mods you download. For instance if you would prefer a dot instead of an X or vice versa, you change them pretty easily. If you need help doing so, message me and I'll help you make your crosshairs how you like. :) I use Frozen's Cornerless Box-Hairs. I just made the lines a little thicker in PaintNET so I could see them easier. I've also tried different colors like Neon Green, Pink, and White. White is the best IMO for any crosshair

HELL YEA

STILL AVAILABLE
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171041786