Good sub-nautical games from the past

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold Posts: 669 Advanced user
Besides Aquanox 1 and 2, obviously, I remember a wonderful game called Subculture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Culture

16 years old now, it was a cool Elite style free roamer where you can collect stuff like coins and bottle caps with a miniature submarine, go on missions, and other stuff. Fond memories!
Each day, hundreds of enthusiastic new players rush to join the ranks of the TSF to protect the universe, our beloved and the values of our society from the alien menace.

Glory to the TSF! Glory to Arstotzka ! Glory to the mods!

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members Posts: 308 Advanced user
    Besides Subculture (I remember buying a joystick especially for it, back then), I also played Silent Hunter 3 and 4...do these also count?
    Currently playing Silent Hunter 5 - heavily modded, obviously.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold Posts: 669 Advanced user
    Paajtor wrote: »
    I also played Silent Hunter 3 and 4...do these also count?

Sure, it's underwater, so it counts. I never got into them silent hunters though, the sheer amount of DIY mod installations necessary to repair those broken wrecks somewhat discouraged me.

I did play Aces of the Deep, though, I remember switching it to German voiceovers for immersion purposes - did not understand a word, but felt like a genuine u-boat kommandant ;-)

Each day, hundreds of enthusiastic new players rush to join the ranks of the TSF to protect the universe, our beloved and the values of our society from the alien menace.

Bicsum
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold Posts: 669 Advanced user
    I guess AC4 Black Flag should be counted too, because it contains diving missions, quite well done too.

... and Fish Fillets 1 and 2!

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members Posts: 10,501
    Archimedean Dynasty
    X-COM Terror from the Deep
    QUOTE (MOOtant @ Sep 21 2012, 11:06 AM) »
    What is wrong with being a racist?

X-COM Terror from the Deep

It was such a cheap reskin of the original it made me laugh.
    I mean, you could throw grenades UNDERWATER, and they traveled through water like it was air.

AurOn2
  • MakariosMakarios Joka Join Date: 2013-12-09 Member: 189953Members Posts: 1
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members Posts: 185
    Schleichfahrt (aka "Archimedean Dynasty") and it's successors "Aquanox" 1&2.
    The first rule of the tautology club is the first rule of the tautology club.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members Posts: 10,501
    Archimedean Dynasty and Aquanox 1 and 2 are all cool underwater submarine games.
    QUOTE (MOOtant @ Sep 21 2012, 11:06 AM) »
    What is wrong with being a racist?

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Posts: 368 Fully active user
    Definitely Archimedean Dynasty! Unfortunately its successors, Aquanox 1/2, lacked everything I loved about that game; the serious and dirty tone of the conversations, the roughness of the places you visited, the costumisation of your sub (turrets and different software for targeting enemy ships and/or topedos! Just brilliant), the political tension between the factions, the feeling of two or three armadas of submarines battling it out kilometres beneath the surface... One of my fav games of all time easily. There is a nicely working version of it out there, with implemented Dosbox support too!
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold Posts: 114 Advanced user
    Kenny’s Adventure: In Search of Family Treasures (aka Kenny's Adventure: Scuba in Aruba) also, NES Jaws :)
    HPAQ6it.png