Return to Eclipse in Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I let my skill go, that constant reminder of being lazy D:
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    The map is awesome, very close to the classical Eclipse layout, though much more detailed and complex.
    The rain effect in marine start is gorgeous, and the main menu with that mixed ns1&2 theme music is also fantastic. Good work ;)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SanCo wrote: »
    Why would you stick the skill number in my face? Now I will feel like I have to get it up, need to win easy. Creating more stack.

- Vegeta, what does the Main menu say about his skill?
    - It’s over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    xen32 wrote: »
    Why would you stick the skill number in my face? Now I will feel like I have to get it up, need to win easy. Creating more stack.

You will gain nearly no skill on stacked teams, so you should actually join the weaker team and try to win, that will give you skill
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ELO is hidden on most competitive team games for a good reason :/
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    ELO is hidden on most competitive team games for a good reason :/

It's hidden because most ppl get it wrong because they don't understand the elo system. Also most of these games have a league system beside the Elo ranking, so Elo only determs where ppl start and is not that important. Also ns2 hive skill =/= elo, someone with a high elo going rookiestombing gets nothing out of it. Indeed you can raise your hive skill and lvl at fastest by rookiefarming.

BTW if you are interessted there is a way to get you Elo rating also in games like SC2, LOL and etc. .
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for this update. At my family"s for the holiday.... so I was only able to see it on my brothers computer. I wil play it incesseantly when I get back home!
  • JormaattoriJormaattori Finland, Oulu Join Date: 2013-11-11 Member: 189290Members
    Minor optimizations for skulk movement (optimized wall traces and removed predict wall walking)

How does this optimization affect skulk movement? I dont get it by this sentence.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013

No idea. Especially considering how useless the skill number is in actually determining player skill. I honestly don't even believe it should be public period. No number is better then a skill number that misrepresents itself.
  • freakySkulkfreakySkulk Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186492Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "sigh" the rookie servers will be filled with people who delay their games to farm new players to get skill rate up now?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    "sigh" the rookie servers will be filled with people who delay their games to farm new players to get skill rate up now?

That is already the case but generally people play where they can find space.
    http://www.twitch.tv/current1y/c/3392796 < look at all the green
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The rookie tag means just about nothing at this point. Every server admin want's his/her server to look more appealing to new players so, like currently pointed out, every server is green. The servers that are not green are filled with new players anyway. This is probably the reason I don't pub nearly as much as I used to.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Map looks awesome!

Tnx UWE and special kuddos & kisses to all community mappers and testers involved!
  • pakuizepakuize Join Date: 2011-09-02 Member: 119652Members
    I have been looking forward to this map for a long time, thank you so much for releasing eclipse I was so exited when I saw it came out.. got to play it quite a bit yesterday it looks so sweet and i like all the small hallways that lives up to it's glory in NS1.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Ots wrote: »
    The map looks really good, only did couple rounds but all in all, if some random clutter would go away, and other unreasonable narrow/tight pathways would be made well... wider. It could look promising. It's definately a different game alltogether with 4 techpoints and the layout being what it is, all the "new turns" to make the map larger look interesting but only time will tell, how unforgiving it's going to be for aliens to get any particular starting hive.

inc 'GG MAINT HIVE' ;P

It was even worse in early testing. You were basically guaranteed a loss as alien when you got Maintenance.
    It's in a better spot now, since the walking time from Marine Start to Maintenance got increased with the new corridor entrance between Horseshoe and Keyhole, as well as the more powerful vents in the whole Keyhole area.

Still, when you start in Maintenance, you basically need someone to get a Gorge Tunnel up to Computer Core ASAP, or you'll be in a tough position.
    Gorge Tunnels being available right from the start make the map quite difficult for marines, though. They have a hard time containing the alien in an area (and while the narrow corridors make it easier to block certain paths, they also make it easier for Skulks to get close to marines). If marines can't claim at least one whole side of the map for themselves, they are almost certainly going to lose the match.
  • derfyderfy Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164630Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I skimmed the thread...but is 'naturalselection2/com' an injoke? Cause it seems pretty easy to dump that and remake it.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    derfy wrote: »
    I skimmed the thread...but is 'naturalselection2/com' an injoke? Cause it seems pretty easy to dump that and remake it.

???

http://www.naturalselection2.com/ is a promotion page of ns2
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hive = fail. I have been playing this game a year now, I have ~350 hours logged on Steam and yet I have just 20 rounds in Hive.
  • AnthraX1AnthraX1 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68380Members
    Wishing for a new gfx card :) id be on this everyday any suggestions on what to get at about £200
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    Thanks, your guys truly outdid yourself with this map!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I guess most things already have been said, but I just love the yellow, clean and uncluttered style of this map. Played three great rounds already!
  • kibblesandbitskibblesandbits Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 184004Members
    The environment and art style are so well made that it hurts me to know there will never be an open world game with vehicles within a similar universe (or alien style). An RPG game would work as well but subnautica is using the same style so hope that turns out well.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Damn, eclipse so pretty. Please never change it. I am in love.
  • KarmicJusticeKarmicJustice Join Date: 2013-11-29 Member: 189628Members
    Really digging Eclipse, had some nice games on it already ;)

good job!
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited December 2013
    the secret room is trippy. is there some stuff in their relating to subnautica? it just has some similarities with the art.

kinda hard to play initially, but it'll b easy to get used to. just confusing cuz I memorized the old eclipse lol
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The water is just simple water you find in Hydro in Descent, and Falls in Biodome, just on a flat texture. Same thing watermod does, and is originally from Remedy.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The water is just simple water you find in Hydro in Descent, and Falls in Biodome, just on a flat texture. Same thing watermod does, and is originally from Remedy.

But it looks good. As a skulk, you almost feel you could crack the thin glass and run loose inside those corporate offices you can see outside.