Noobs Only Server

1235»

Comments

• dav3ybdav3yb Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185313Members
    So is it just a judgement call when you see private profiles?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    dav3yb wrote: »

probably, but i'm inclined to believe they get it right most of the time, or should. You can guess pretty well whether someone is a veteran or not based on certain things... facility with movement, objective, positional awareness, etc. though, differentiating between 200 and 100 hours gets kinda tough... if someone's got about my number of hours in the game, i know it. and if they have half my hours, i know that too.

In this case, it probably comes down to, can you tell how good the player is? if the competition isn't pushing him far enough for you to be certain of your assessment of his skills, he probably shouldn't be messing it up on the server.
    amoral wrote: »

probably, but i'm inclined to believe they get it right most of the time, or should. You can guess pretty well whether someone is a veteran or not based on certain things... facility with movement, objective, positional awareness, etc. though, differentiating between 200 and 100 hours gets kinda tough... if someone's got about my number of hours in the game, i know it. and if they have half my hours, i know that too.

In this case, it probably comes down to, can you tell how good the player is? if the competition isn't pushing him far enough for you to be certain of your assessment of his skills, he probably shouldn't be messing it up on the server.

that's kinda what i thought. found a couple players doing pretty well, with private profiles, and sure enough, one of them is holding their own in a regular server.

that's kinda what i thought. found a couple players doing pretty well, with private profiles, and sure enough, one of them is holding their own in a regular server.

to be fair, regular servers are pretty noobified right now too so that might not be as damning as you think it sounds. I'm talking about generally. Some people are just quicker to pick up than others.

That being said, I can probably beat consistently most players with less than 600 hours, and people with more than 1300 hours can beat me. I just tried out the server the other day, and spectated for a round. I was surprised to see people with 3:1 k:d ratios, and thought to check them out, some profiles were locked, some weren't. I ended up with the conclusion that they were all legitimately new players, but they were just more skilled newbies than the aliens. You have to keep in mind, that they're playing rookies too. so, lotsa floor skulks.

I must say, it will be a bit of a shock when they get released into the wild. some of them seem to have grown cocky being the big fish in the little pond mwuahahaha :)

there be sharks swimming in these here seas.

to be fair, regular servers are pretty noobified right now too so that might not be as damning as you think it sounds. I'm talking about generally. Some people are just quicker to pick up than others.

That being said, I can probably beat consistently most players with less than 600 hours, and people with more than 1300 hours can beat me. I just tried out the server the other day, and spectated for a round. I was surprised to see people with 3:1 k:d ratios, and thought to check them out, some profiles were locked, some weren't. I ended up with the conclusion that they were all legitimately new players, but they were just more skilled newbies than the aliens. You have to keep in mind, that they're playing rookies too. so, lotsa floor skulks.

I must say, it will be a bit of a shock when they get released into the wild. some of them seem to have grown cocky being the big fish in the little pond mwuahahaha :)

there be sharks swimming in these here seas.

well i failed to mention the comments made by this person as well. it was pretty clear by how much they "love nub servers" that they were just around to make themselves feel useful.
  • DGKHaploDGKHaplo Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11324Members, Constellation
    Most of the time when I see someone with a high KDR and their profile is private I will attempt to look them up on NS2STATS and the Hive. More often than not they are on the hive and usually have a skill level of 200+ which I consider to be decent enough to not be on a rookie server. Although I do take into account when they started playing. If it's in the current month I'll usually let them slide. If it's 2 months ago - "They GONE"
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've submitted a request to get the Noob ONLY server's whitelisted for stats recording on HIVE. Hopefully that should help get around private profiles :)!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    I've submitted a request to get the Noob ONLY server's whitelisted for stats recording on HIVE. Hopefully that should help get around private profiles :)!

Here is a mistake many server admins do, the server doesn't send any datas to hive at the moment you enable even 1 mod. So there is nothing to be whitelisted. Please inform yourself about how the hive system is working next time.We had plenty forum threads about this.
    edited December 2013
    edited. nevermind.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We're back to running just one rookie server due to bandwidth constraints, and we've updated the name to 'Noobs ONLY (under 100 hrs)'

I'm taking another trip out to California, so we'll need help keeping an eye on things again.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2013

Here is a mistake many server admins do, the server doesn't send any datas to hive at the moment you enable even 1 mod. So there is nothing to be whitelisted. Please inform yourself about how the hive system is working next time.We had plenty forum threads about this.
    http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/72844636
    take note of the match history.
    The multiplay server i play on alot always has a mod or other enabled and still sends stats to the hive. (i've made sure of that)

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would just like to request that peeps don't train the newbies to get sentries first! They don't need any encouragement with that! I know it's effective against rookie aliens, but that temptation should be avoided for the greater good!
    Havoc do you have a link to your steam id? a rather common name is hard to sort out.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I would just like to request that peeps don't train the newbies to get sentries first! They don't need any encouragement with that! I know it's effective against rookie aliens, but that temptation should be avoided for the greater good!

too late. and rookies will always go sentries first in a rookie game if they know the tech path anyway. because it out performs their team aim so they get kills. static d ftw. train them instead on the importance of res nodes.