NSL and AV

NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
edited December 2013 in Competitive Play
NSL rules prohibit any custom Alien Vision mods. I don't personally feel they give an advantage but some people do so I understand why the rule is in place. However, with the release of Huze's Old Alien Vision mod, do you think the NSL should allow that mod, and that mod only, for competitive play?

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    most people used custom AV regardless of that rule back in the day, since it bypassed whatever check there was back then and couldn't be detected

Also nobody really cared if you used it, because there's no advantage.. it's literally just preference and whatever makes your eyes not hurt
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Well I made this topic was geared towards the WC. I think it should be allowed. Like you said, most can probably use custom AV mods during the tournament but obviously not during the live event. If they implement it into the live event, it would reciprocate into the rules for seasonal play as well.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Well I made this topic was geared towards the WC. I think it should be allowed. Like you said, most can probably use custom AV mods during the tournament but obviously not during the live event. If they implement it into the live event, it would reciprocate into the rules for seasonal play as well.

Wait, you're saying you made this geared toward the WC and the title say NSL. They are two different things.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I know but they are using NSL rules though, which prohibit custom AV during a match.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    They dont use the NSL rules. Many rules may be similar, but they do not use them.

I for one have no problem with WC and NSL allowed vision mods. Skill will autbalance any vision mod which is 'abused'.
    Or they can start whitelisting mods.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    FYI, AV is default excluded from checking now if you didn't know.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    FYI, AV is default excluded from checking now if you didn't know.
    It's consistency checked in NSL and WC.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Yeah, but NSL and WC have their own consistency listings that need to be on any server that matches are played at. So it doesn't really matter what the default setting is. :)

But in my eyes, custom AV's should be permitted in competitive games. It's already an unfair advantage that some people can use the default AV just fine, and others aren't able to. It's not going to change who wins games, but will just make gaming easier for some people.

I'm bit curious how available hacks to gaming work nowadays, and if the ones that work for ns2 actually have anything to do with alienvision.hlsh, but seeing how people are saying how easy it is to use hacks in ns2 atm. It's quite apparent there should be other methods to cut down cheating in competitive scene than relying on consistency checks.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ots i have no idea what you're going on about

@topic - allow custom AV anywhere for anything, it's preference and if it makes someone feel better then let them use it

you think quake players wouldn't throw a fit if you removed the ability to force all your opponents to a specific model/sound/color?
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I mean, the only reason i see for blocking custom av's with consistency. Is if letting that one file get through, enables random cheating programs to work. If it has no impact, then..
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I think it's something that people think gives people an advantage that doesnt give people an advantage and thus everyone just cries out in the masses when really no one should even care
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    oh look its this thread again lmao what a surprise
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will say that 'whitelisting' the actual alien vision fx file is a bad idea, since you can do some inventive things with it. But having an approved 'alternative' included within one of the nsl mods isnt a terrible idea.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    I will say that 'whitelisting' the actual alien vision fx file is a bad idea, since you can do some inventive things with it. But having an approved 'alternative' included within one of the nsl mods isnt a terrible idea.
    I got that already implemented in CHUD but disabled for the moment, fwiw. It toggles between Huze's Old Alien Vision and the default NS2 AV.
  • CognitoCognito Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187295Members
    edited December 2013
    Do it Mendasp, free me from this wack ass orange prison!
    Please Mendasp. Convince whoever needs to convincing to allow it. I agree with @Cognito 100%. LIBERTAD!
    I think after the quarterfinals I may be able to enable the feature since the finals are in February. Need to check with the admins though.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Woah. What if we just disable alien vision altogether?

youtube.com/watch?v=YbAo8P0lQu0
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    I got that already implemented in CHUD but disabled for the moment, fwiw. It toggles between Huze's Old Alien Vision and the default NS2 AV.

Please, do, want.