My point of view as a new player and as a veteran esport gamer

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Swiftspear wrote: »
    I tend to look at NS2's player numbers as experiencing the same phenomena as StarCraft2's player numbers. When you have an intensely competitive game, people can only handle so many hours of it, especially when they aren't extremely good. These are the types of games with lots of fans, and many people who say things like "I love the game, but I can only play so much of it". StarCraft2 also has a fairly low consistent player to purchaser ratio.

For me, I was getting 35 FPS dipping down to 8 FPS in heavy action. As a competitive player from the NS1 days, it wasn't fun to be crushed because my computer was shitting on me. I'm coming back when I have my new graphics card installed (I've heard there's been quite a few performance increases since I left as well, so I'm excited about that)

Yeah, it's definitely improved a lot (luajit!). And there are also a few pub servers out there that are starting to include the NSL map versions in the default map rotation, which give you a big fps boost as well.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play with a bunch of regulars who make the game way more fun, good communication and some good laughs. Its always worth the 30min slot wait time.

Im not that interested in leagues this game suffered enough with elitist idiots.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Neoken wrote: »

Yeah, it's definitely improved a lot (luajit!). And there are also a few pub servers out there that are starting to include the NSL map versions in the default map rotation, which give you a big fps boost as well.

This. NSL maps make pubbing tolerable. Several NA servers have them now.
  • AtomKickAtomKick Join Date: 2013-12-10 Member: 189985Members
    So I read through the first page of this thread and I thought I'd give my opinion.

I'm a new player (humble bundle noob), but I really like this game. I think that matchmaking, creating a ranked system, level progression and rewards and all that should not be the focus or core of playing NS2. First, let me point to 2 quotes from this thread:
    I don't know... *random rambling ensues:*

While I'm all for ranking so that we can have similarly skilled people playing together, I've a small nagging worry that implementing it in a very obvious way, portraying a rank that gives immediate feedback after the end of a round, might make people want to win a little too much, resulting in frustration and venting out, making the whole game a bit darker. JUST A BIT, mind you. Then again if it *really* helps with player retention I'mma throw my hands up "F*ck it lets do it! Gimme those f**king ribbons or whatever the sh*t they have in BF3!".
    Chizzler wrote: »
    TL:DR
    The key to player retention and enjoyment is to understand the psychology of gamers and to exploit reward pathways in the brain to make the player feel good thus improving the odds of them enjoying the game.

The first quote shows a very valid concern: Throwing in serious matchmaking will cause a ripple effect of making players more ardent about winning. And when gamers get passionate, they begin to rage when things go wrong. This ends up introducing that "toxicity" into the community that plagues LoL.

Both quotes mention however that the reason for adding matchmaking/ranked play is to increase "player retention" (which seems to be a buzz word around here). But I'd like to point out that this concept that matchmaking is not the only way to increase retention rate is naive. There are ways to inspire players to come back to a game other than simply introducing a competitive outlet for casual players. I mean, just look at Minecraft! You can't tell me that the only reason people play it is because it has matchmaking. It doesn't even have a good system for finding public servers!.

Now I don't mean to throw a completely unrelated game at you and act like that is a solution. I do want you to start thinking out of the box though. So lets look at a related game: Starcraft (brood war). Back in the day, battle.net was an extremely popular place for gamers to gather and play SC/D2/WC2+3. And sure, they had a ladder system, but it wasn't forced onto you through a "main mode". What made these games successful and popular? What made them retain players?

I can't say for certain. I haven't done any research on the matter. But I can tell you why I played: The community made its own fun. You could hang out in public chat channels with chat bots hosting trivia games and random people enacting strange roleplaying. There were clans and clan channels and all that good stuff. That was just the medium through which you were connected, then there were the games. And I don't just mean Melee. I'm talking about all that Use Map Settings (UMS) goodness. Tower defenses, Bounds, Snowball Wars, Mini Town Defense, etc, etc. I even got into creating my own defenses and bounds with 3rd party map editors.

My attention was retained because the community was involved in creating its own fun. And thats the direction I'd like to see NS2 go in. I think that promoting custom game types and promoting the idea of creating your own fun is a very viable strategy to retain players. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be matchmaking and ranked, but I think it would be best as a side-attraction, and not a main focus.
  • RamblemoeRamblemoe Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75812Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Retired Community Developer
    AtomKick wrote: »
    Now I don't mean to throw a completely unrelated game at you and act like that is a solution. I do want you to start thinking out of the box though. So lets look at a related game: Starcraft (brood war). Back in the day, battle.net was an extremely popular place for gamers to gather and play SC/D2/WC2+3. And sure, they had a ladder system, but it wasn't forced onto you through a "main mode". What made these games successful and popular? What made them retain players?

The problem with that is the fact that the people that like/can manage a game with that old school structure, is now growing old. A full time job, kids, wifu. So, the demografic that actually does not mind this kind of setup, they do not have enough time on their hands to use it. The problem with ns2 is just this. The time were this kind of system worked has passed. The people who are ok with it do not have the time at hand, and the rest of the world do not like "wasting" their time.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I always get a strong impression that a NS1 port for source and renamed 'ns2' about 8 years ago would have left the franchise 10x more successful than NS2 currently is.
  • NJNaonedNJNaoned France Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189773Members
    I always get a strong impression that a NS1 port for source and renamed 'ns2' about 8 years ago would have left the franchise 10x more successful than NS2 currently is.

It's not only a question of time, it's also a question of gaming experience evolution. I experienced what you are talking about AtmKick, I really enjoyed that time, but that time has ended 3-4 years after online gaming becoming popular and today most of online games include matchmaking, rank, rewards etc... all the games give an esay way to experience the game. I don't say NS2 must do that, but only providing pub server.... it's a little bit short. This kind of system were viable at the begining of online gaming because everything was new, now it's totally different.

You are comparing 2 totally different types of game, you can't compare Minecraft with NS2, it's like comparing Mario with Fifa, it's not the same kind of fun.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't compare any game with those ten years ago the core players are different, PC's were silly expensive and most of the gamers who could afford one were in their twenties and more mature. There was also a lot less rage about.

NS2 is fab if people get a mic, communicate, don't give up after 10 min's and hunt in packs. Love it!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Hugh wrote: »
    While it was never UWE's intention to create an 'eSport' game, the nature of the game does lend itself to competitive play. Player communities have naturally drawn to playing the game in a competitive manner.

Because NS2 was not designed as an eSport, it does not include many of the eSport features that have become industry standards. For example, spectator replays, matchmaking systems, player stat-tracking and such.

I don't know how long you've been following NS2 development Hugh, but Charlie mentioned several times how he wanted NS2 to become "the best competitive game ever" (his actual wording might have been different, but that's the essence). Try to find some of the early podcast interviews. The intention was definitely there, but like many other features, things like replays, a proper spectator system and all the other 'eSport' features were cut due to time and resource constraints.

• Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    edited December 2013
    since matchmaking wont come so fast would it be possible to do it kinda mod
    i mean ns2stats.org is in place shine mod is in place lets combine these 2 abtilitys

ns2stats is able to sort players according to diffrent stats
    and shine is able to move players from server to server

so if you would have an "fake asmuchslotsaspossible_slot server"
    where you connect and wait with buddys for an equal enemy/team on it and then get moved to an free server where you can scrim i guess that would be an beginning

(maybe you can even save informations of players/steamids and force them by that even from start into the teams the matchmaking did or how they signed up)
    ((should be kinda similar then the nsl mod that reads informations from the ensl.org site so a php request from the ns2 plugin))

also maybe its possible to mark players that play properly in these scrims or mark people that do shit idk
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Raza. wrote: »
    The intention was definitely there, but like many other features, things like replays, a proper spectator system and all the other 'eSport' features were cut due to time and resource constraints.
    Really the story of NS2's development is quite a sad one. The game that could have been.
    Not sure if I agree with this at all. Ns2 could have easily been released in a much smaller and less ambitious state (as Charlie has pointed out at many times in interviews about the game's dev). It was through pure will and community support that the game came out to be so large, encompassing, and as pretty as it is.

I am really really pleased with NS2. What do you think it could have been?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Raza. wrote: »
    The intention was definitely there, but like many other features, things like replays, a proper spectator system and all the other 'eSport' features were cut due to time and resource constraints.
    Really the story of NS2's development is quite a sad one. The game that could have been.
    Not sure if I agree with this at all. Ns2 could have easily been released in a much smaller and less ambitious state (as Charlie has pointed out at many times in interviews about the game's dev). It was through pure will and community support that the game came out to be so large, encompassing, and as pretty as it is.

This is very true, back in the early days, the budget was tight and phase gates weren't originally planned to be in the game.

I hope all of the reinforcement budget goes directly to NS2 development.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    I am really really pleased with NS2. What do you think it could have been?
    A much more optimised and balanced game. Quality of life things like demo, better spec etc.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It is extremely depressing to come into a thread, after taking the time to give a detailed and thorough description of UWE's position on OP's concerns, and find nitpicking and barbs being thrown. Instead of discussing the topic at hand, I'm being told (absurdly) that my post is not accurate. Expert commentators are telling me that someone has gone back in time and magically turned NS2's overwhelming success into failure. And so forth.

Do @NJNaoned a solid and make this discussion one about matchmaking and organised play. Do me a solid and motivate me to keep posting information. Let me know how the timetable I have mentioned will affect play. Tell me how the idea of hardcore-competitive (tournaments?) and casual-competitive (gathers?) branches will be useful or not useful. Etc.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Now the question is why are there such a low number of players ? - becouse they change the physics, the values, the structures, the damages and everything within the game every 2 week, no one can stay up to date or bothered relearning the new changes. if they only made tunnels and babblers then left the game alone while making as many optimization changes as possible more people...

40 disagrees? Why do I get the feeling somebody made multiple accounts? Seriously, it isn't natural. It could be because almost all the ppl who supported this left NS2 after 250, but I seriously get the feeling multiple accounts are being used (but I won't say it is definite since there is no proof)

I agree with him, and the reason UWE won't change it back is either A) They dont care or B) most players supporting this left (which was most of NS2 playerbase)
    Scatter wrote: »
    Quite frankly I can't even understand the appeal of getting skins and other bling items. I would rather the community be small and consist of quality individuals that like the game for what it is, and want to improve their skill as part of their personal development, than consist of skin loving peasants that have nothing more to contribute than filling server slots while they chase achievements.

Thats debatable. I dont think that NS2 has too many "quality" players in the first place. Yeah it probably isn't as bad as COD, but since the game is geared toward casual players (like CS), it doesn't have too many quality players.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    coolitic wrote: »

Thats debatable. I dont think that NS2 has too many "quality" players in the first place. Yeah it probably isn't as bad as COD, but since the game is geared toward casual players (like CS), it doesn't have too many quality players.

huh? you think ns2 is geared towards casual play?
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    coolitic wrote: »
    but since the game is geared toward casual players

This I can agree with. It is indeed designed towards a casual game play. It has to be. Otherwise, it will not attract the $$$ needed to make a profit. Turning the game into anything differently, is the "problem"; if I'm allowed to use that word.

No business minded person (even someone with little business experience) would create such a project as this, and make it ONLY competitive, or eSport game.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    With how big of a learning curve the game has... I wouldn't ever say it was geared towards 'casual' gamers.

I think it's aimed at somewhere in between pro and casual tbh. Closer to pro for sure however.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What ghost said. NS2 attracts casual players with its interesting and different game type (fps/rts) but the game itself is typically only appealing to those who are a bit more dedicated compared to your everyday casual gamer. Even the pubbers today invest 20 or 30 hours into the game before they really start to grasp many of its concepts.

• NJNaonedNJNaoned France Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189773Members
    edited December 2013
    Thank you for your answer @Hugh and for the time you spent here to answer to this topic.

I'm glad to hear that matchmaking will come soon, can't wait to try this and I hope it will bring what miss in that game.

@Ghosthree3 this is not the first time I see the word "imbalance", I know I'm new in the game but what is for you imbalance in the game ? Because honestly, despite in the late game where I think the Marines are a little bit more powerfull than the Aliens, I did not notice that much of imbalance.
    Talking about 6v6 play btw, not public. The amount of things I'd change for balance reasons could make a thread post. However I'm not going to post random things I'd change without also posting a "big picture" massive post about why and everything I'd want changed as people will just find some flaw (because they don't understand the reason) and complain it's a shit change. I will say it involves redesigning the game a bit to be a bit more like NS1, because you simply can't balance the game as long as the kham exists.
    edited December 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    What ghost said. NS2 attracts casual players with its interesting and different game type (fps/rts) but the game itself is typically only appealing to those who are a bit more dedicated compared to your everyday casual gamer. Even the pubbers today invest 20 or 30 hours into the game before they really start to grasp many of its concepts.

Yeah but the skill ceiling still isn't that high. @Hugh, matchmaking might help skilled play for skilled players, but unless each matchmaking type has different balance it won't be enough as it's only gonna stop you from teaming up with the less skilled players but wont help the low skill ceiling.

However, since the reason the skill ceiling was lowered is to attract casual gamers, the skill ceiling can be heightened again because with matchmaking the casual players can play with casual players, without worrying too much that it's too hard.
    xDragon wrote: »
    Matchmaking will help keep games more equal and also ease certain situations, but most likely will not help player retention much. Much of what kept NS1 so interesting casually was the communities and also the freedom the game offered... There was tons of custom maps, many of which with drastically different styles and/or gameplay, and also there was much more creativity offered by the gameplay. Gorge forting and relocations are but two easy examples of creative tactics which are gone in NS2, and there are many more.

I completely agree with you. Creativity is the most important factor in keeping games fresh and alive, just use moddable games as an example (no game has better sales figures than Gmod). Mods aren't the only thing because as you said, the little gorge forts were very creative.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @coolitic and @xDragon. The Gorge love shack was a "fun" diversion. But it isn't really going to win the game for you. So I wouldn't consider it an essential part of a winning strategy. Yes I used to build my love shacks in the vents, or have my OP offense chambers (more than 3). Defended by my Defense chambers for healz. NS2 isn't that, and I can't decide which was better. Each iteration of Charlie's vision has its pros and cons. And the current one (NS2) is what we have. It would be awesome if UWE or someone else could bring back NS1 and make it workable (I think there is the classic mod). But honestly, I am happy with NS2 and the way it is tracking in terms of game play and balance (the 2 weekly balance update was annoying, but that is not the case any more).
    tl;dr : NS1 and NS2 are both Charlie's visions. I love both, and am happy with both. They play very differently, and I am ok with that.