Please remove the ability for Marines to constantly jump all the time.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Spamming the space bar will get you no where.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nailo wrote: »
    until marines are winning over 50% of match's on NS2...

If only balancing were as easy as you think it is. You do not center balancing on how much each team wins, you center it on each individual mechanic/ability. Adding to that, I believe that noobs tend to gravitate towards the marine team because it is like the FPS games they play. Please note that I am not using the word "noobs" with a negative connotation.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    A lot of this can be solved by giving a crosshair to skulks so people can actually aim their bites. Solved with a custom crosshair, but why not make it official for newbs who don't know about mods.

There are workshop crosshair mods that show a crosshair on Skulk bite attacks/ other melee attacks

Like @DC_Darkling 's Xhair mod, (will link later, rushed post because busy)

And since normal constancy checks dont block Crosshair mods, I dont think anything needs to be officially added by the devs

A none bumping response edit (Class B-) )
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Nazo wrote: »
    A lot of this can be solved by giving a crosshair to skulks so people can actually aim their bites. Solved with a custom crosshair, but why not make it official for newbs who don't know about mods.

There are workshop crosshair mods that show a crosshair on Skulk bite attacks/ other melee attacks

And since normal constancy checks dont block Crosshair mods, I dont think anything needs to be officially added by the devs

You know, there are many crosshair mods in the workshop. ;)

@_Necro_ I know there are more crosshair mods, I have tried them, but DC's were the only one I noticed that have a brand new Xhair that stays for melee attacks (maybe I just dident even notice on other tiny dot mods)
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Is there a console command we can use to enable the crosshair permanently? I'd like to try it out.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Crosshair is already enabled permanently, it just varies from weapon to weapon.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited December 2013
    Is it balanced? Yes. Is it really stupid looking? Yes. Could it be improved? I think so.

I agree that it looks really stupid when marines just always jump to dodge during every single fight.. it looks like a DDR dance party when a big fight is going on. Do they teach that tactic in space marine boot camp? LOL "As soon as you see an alien, start jumping around all willy nilly like your pants is on fire!!" Its also very annoying as a skulk to try to track these crazy pogo stick marines.

I think this game would be much better if they did something ELSE to balance the game. Maybe incorporated a dodge mechanic for marines that did not involve jumping, something like Unreal where you can hit a button and do a dodge roll of some sort, but cannot fire during this roll. Or perhaps increasing starting marine health, reducing skulk starting damage, etc.. but the way it is balanced right now, while it technically works, is just silly.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited December 2013
    honestly, I think this mechanic is fine. the jumpy marines were only a problem a few patches ago.

if a marine is killing you at melee range then he is really good or you're not utilizing your own jump mechanics. aliens do have an advantage at melee range... but if you get killed, well, you didn't use your melee advantage correctly.

if we want to talk abt jumping absurderies, then look at the onos.
  • WakkeWakke Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18672Members
    Having an UT-like dodge would be way more interesting and visually appealing as compared to the ancient, now obsolete jump-1-meter-vertically-in-the-air.
    Wakke wrote: »
    the ancient, now obsolete jump-1-meter-vertically-in-the-air.

Get out. Now.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Wakke wrote: »
    the ancient, now obsolete jump-1-meter-vertically-in-the-air.

Get out. Now.

No! It's a stupid legacy that needs to be ditched.

Stop it, you're hurting me.
    No reason to mark that post as abuse. I think it's about time fps designers make a 'tabula rasa' with the past and re-evalute what works. Progress! Science!
    edited December 2013
    Progress for video games isn't (shouldn't...) making them more real :(

Also, your post IS kind of abusive...It hurts me more than insults ever could.
    A game (especially a game like this) should be cool-as-fuck, should have atmosphere, should be brutal. Having marines prance around like balerina's does not help with that. That's my viewpoint, deal with it.:p
    I'm dealing with it by getting upset.
    No need, the game is to your liking, I'm the one left wanting.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    until marines are winning over 50% of match's on NS2
    They nearly are. This patch. If you're referring to n2stats.com... you know that it has a problem registering Marine wins? Also note the extreme spike in early wins for Aliens? Thats counts for a lot, just because people think Alien rushes are funny and Marine ones are less successful.

Also why would the devs want to balance around a silly looking pogo feature? There should be enough alternatives to balance.

Spamming the space bar will get you no where.
    It gets me everywhere, atleast it gets me out of range of those jaws gnawing at me. Every idiot can do it, me included. :D If you got the exactly perfect jump timing down, good for you.

Noone can deny that a basic skulk < basic marine.

A game (especially a game like this) should be cool-as-****, should have atmosphere, should be brutal. Having marines prance around like balerina's does not help with that. That's my viewpoint, deal with it.
    The comps dont need that. Atmosphere hinders em only. They want it fast, they want it aggressive. Heck who would watch em play a game hours long?

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    crosshairs? *points to signature*
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow

You know, there are many crosshair mods in the workshop. ;)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Underlined/emboldened an important aspect of Cee's post I think you missed
  • DoY_DeAdMeAtDoY_DeAdMeAt Join Date: 2007-03-24 Member: 60469Members
    Been part of the game mechanic since ns1. never had problems there. you should play more.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Al_Bobo wrote: »
    Current jump mechanic is ok. I play mostly aliens and it doesn't bother me. It may look silly, but UWE is a small dev team and I hope that they focus on other things than dodge animations. If people want more realism, then let's add fall damage, recoil, permanent injuries, limb loss, infirmary with a doctor and a hot nurse, sickbeds, lavatory, a therapist, a priest, space coffins and a coffee maker.
    If people wanted realism, UWE should take out the Aliens... and the space skyboxes... and phase gates... and the respawns... and well, everything. Nothing in this game is meant to be "realistic." That's why it's so fun. In fact if people want realism, they should stop playing video games and go outside. Lots of realism there.

• blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Oh nice, its this thread again.
    Entire thread is spam.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Nerf not remove jump.

Everything was fine before Reinforced.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Uhhh, they did nerf jump...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    @GISP I think this thread needs to be locked, not rly getting anywhere.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Fail by me. *facepalm*