Finally a server for more competitive players!

HynipsHynips Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187881Members
I'm glad to announce that due to lack of high skill requirement servers, WongaNS has decided to step up and fire one up.

For a longer time now my teammates and me have been craving for some practice outside our PCWs and having some lighthearted fun without crushing games with 50/0 fades and such. This is nothing more than boring for all participants and serves no purpose. We wanted a server that when you dive into 3 marines with shotguns with a fade you die. We wanted a server where the guy next to you welds you and plants the mines to correct locations. We wanted a commander who wasn't unaware of how to make a phase gate and we wanted to be mucused and stormed if we were retreating as an onos. We wanted to have a challenge playing a public game from more than just that one guy you should avoid.

It will go under the name of "Multiplay // [WongaNS] Clanserver - NoGreens" and will kick anyone with a green name and/or under 80-100 hours played depending how they fare on the field/chair. This is to allow higher level players play in an environment that gives them challenge outside of PCWs. We wish to have anyone who thinks they're capable of taking a beating from a 1/2/3 div players to step up and play with people who knows exactly what they're supposed to be doing!

Direct IP for the wanting is: 85.236.100.63:27120 - Server is located in UK, London

PS. Keep in mind that the server was put up today on Tuesday 10.12. and will experience few extra restarts due to adding/removing mods.

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Good luck. Btw, does it have NSL maps only? Friendly fire?
  • HynipsHynips Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187881Members
    edited December 2013
    We're discussing on whether the maps should be NSL or normal ones, and we're leaning towards NSL side. We'll work on the mods as we go (friendly fire etc). Feel free to have input on these things as the more opinions the better!
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh please god have FF, NSL maps sounds like a good idea, could perhaps be another map rotation on weekends.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It's a good initiative. The last few elite servers didn't last too long due to no one actually seeding the servers every night. If you guys can keep it populated, it will be a godsend for comp players who want to practice.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Why not just run shine and have FF enabled to 0.33% so you don't have to run the NSL mod with the rdy command etc etc. Unless, of course, it was to be run like pugs with captains and such.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    This sounds excellent. I'll try to be there and wish you every success.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    This is a great idea. Only problem I see is what is going to keep lower skill players out? Are you going to label it "high-skill" server or "NSL only" server?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    NeXuS wrote: »
    This is a great idea. Only problem I see is what is going to keep lower skill players out? Are you going to label it "high-skill" server or "NSL only" server?

Last I checked, there was a "No rookie" or "No green" player mod, that automatically kicked people who are still green/new

You cant really do anything about people who have played forever and still suck :-??
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Add mendasp's custom hud as well please.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    The reason why these "High skill only - no rookie" servers are not really succesfull is cause many many many players thinking they are high skill.
    Its like in all the talent shows: "What? I cannot sing? impossible, my mom told me i can"

Another reason why you have low skill and rookies on these servers also is:
    - Many rookies join these servers just to look how better players perform (maybe to learn something)
    - They dont read or dont care about the servername
    - You can disable the rookie tag in the options

I had so many games on "No rookies" servers with rookies as com and they had no clue what they are doing.
    We have an 30 slot - no rookie server from ZM. Im sure there only DIV1 players playing there. NOT

At free weekens or steamsales i always open up a "regular only" server based on our serverranking.
    So you have a "jumpserver" where you can earn the needed points to join the "high skill" server.
    The word "high-skill" is a bit wrong in this case btw and should replaced with something like "basic gamesense needed"
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited December 2013
    14 slot server, hmm we'll see how that fares out. TAW's server was running some experimental mod to counter stacking;
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197123402&searchtext=

Not really sure how that fares out in the end, but as i've seen in the more "popular" pub servers, some people do want to play with friends and this seems like one way to negate it to some extent.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    So it's just a not rookie-friendly server? Any non-rookie-friendly server wont have much "greens". And this method of kicking out "greens" doesnt mean you will get competitive play. Besides, you can easily turn the "green" on and off. However I do agree that the game has a low skill floor and a sort of low skill ceiling.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    dePARA wrote: »

I had so many games on "No rookies" servers with rookies as com and they had no clue what they are doing.
    We have an 30 slot - no rookie server from ZM. Im sure there only DIV1 players playing there. NOT
    "

No Div 1 player or higher would subject themself to a 30 player server. How disgusting lol. No wonder you were getting noobies

Just to clear this out: We=The NS2 community. I would never, NEVER running a server like this.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Considering I only know one server that could run a 24p ns2 server without losing ticks late game. I can only imagine a 30 slot server is disastrous and is probably causing threads like we see in GD such as "hitreg is broken".
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Considering I only know one server that could run a 24p ns2 server without losing ticks late game. I can only imagine a 30 slot server is disastrous and is probably causing threads like we see in GD such as "hitreg is broken".

So you've never seen the most of the time full 40 slot server. Somehow ppl assume more slots = better

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    You're assuming that the masses are correct? You would be astounded at how many retarded people exist in this world
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Easily the majority.
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    feel like there isnt enough competitive players on throughout the day to keep a "competitive" server filled up
  • HynipsHynips Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187881Members
    feel like there isnt enough competitive players on throughout the day to keep a "competitive" server filled up

Maybe not at US times, but from afternoon to well into early hours CET there's usually plenty of competitive players playing around.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Brilliant, might have to make a return to WongaNS after hiding in my gorge tunnel for too long! - [WongaNS] Yojimbo