Build 261 now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Loving the long requested items like commander bindings, minimal hud, and lessening first contact hitches! Just in time for WC.
    Woo hoo!
    Props to sewlek and samus, you two do great work

(p.s. Death to the hammer build icon! :-P)

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Noticed three things today:

- While loading a map, the preview picture was switching between a black and a checkerboard screen a few times.

- As a round started, I found myself boxed inside the CC as a normal rine with a rifle. Another person was comm and he didn't seem to have problems.

- Might be bad luck, but I got pinned between the phasegate and two aliens a few times. Normaly I just jump over them.

Oh, and an old bug: If the current comm leaves the CC and you switch to the top position in the player list, your name gets yellow despite the fact that you are just a field player. Nothing big, but kinda annoys me :P

And thanks for fixing the hitches and bringing back chuckle :D
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Might I finally request the readdition of rifle and shot lighting when shooting?

For some reason your gun does not spawn a light from the muzzleflash when firing... even though in older editions of the game it totally did.

Perhaps make it optional effect for those that do not care? IDK, just a suggestion... I would like to see it for atmospheric purposes (would make fighting in the dark that much more logical).
    Come on Obraxis and Iron horse. You know you want this too. :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Might I finally request the readdition of rifle and shot lighting when shooting?

For some reason your gun does not spawn a light from the muzzleflash when firing... even though in older editions of the game it totally did.

Perhaps make it optional effect for those that do not care? IDK, just a suggestion... I would like to see it for atmospheric purposes (would make fighting in the dark that much more logical).
    Oddly enough, I was actually messing around with adding this, though it would be too annoying to flash every time and would just mean lots of light uses.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Oddly enough, I was actually messing around with adding this, though it would be too annoying to flash every time and would just mean lots of light uses.

It would not be bad with a small light radius, right?

Also, dont non-shadowed point light sources cost next to nothing in performance in spark?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

Last thing I should be doing is making coding suggestions, but couldn't each player have a continuous lightsource attached to their gun worldmodel that hides whenever a weapon is not being fired?

Granted that sounds like the logic check for that would eat up performance.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Use @Mendasp 's mod, and beg server admins to run it.
    This

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Xenocide sometimes counts as normal death, with normal respawn timer.
    Had it in very first game, on first explosion. Then had it in other game, first my xenocide explosion didn't count as xenocide again. I clearly xenosploded, but death icon was skull.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I like many of these changes. Good Work!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Cinematics are created and destroyed. Light would be in the cinematic file.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Whenever i get an order compleat popup i get a skulk chuckle, not a huge problem but it gets annoying after a while.

Also can you look into spectators? They seem to be giving (unconfirmed) problems. Hag a pug last night and certain people were lagging like crazy (pings were stable however) all over the joint
    We think it's probably because one of the spectators was alt tabbed but in first person spectate at the same time, thereby making the player who got his spectation warp everywhere. Just a theory however.
    Cinematics are created and destroyed. Light would be in the cinematic file.

I would personally love to see the performance difference with and without in a gun fight. I have a hard time imagining it would be expensive given its common occurance in other games (especially with deferred renderers).
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "i believe there was Newton's Law Of Inertia,"

Conservation of Momentum, see: Noether's Theorem.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    Ots wrote: »
    where's eclipse? O_O

You didn't really think that we would release it BEFORE we milked every last drop of 'Coming end of 2013,' did you?

lol, good to see you on the forums Hugh. Its been a while. Please update another NS2HD - I miss my NS2 on youtube.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can blame me for com binds and chuckle/request weld binds, the hitching fixes, the startup splash screen. Sorry, I had to. B-)
    Yes yes, I know...the menu water effect is too high, I didn't lower it enough.

@SamusDroid, man if I can give you more awesomes per post I would. Thanks so much for making these quality of life fixes (small and large things that make the game seem more polished). Cheers. Keep up the good work.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome patch overall.

Fade changes -> Yay! Vortex should be a lot more viable in close combat now, Shadowstep change feels good so far. (Suggestion: "Reduced swipe energy cost by 1" -> baseline value or percentage would be good)

"reduced jetpack fuel replenish rate" -> much needed

"Removed carapace heal penalty" -> there was one? :P

"Default consistency config now ignores shaders/DarkVision.hlsl (allows easier modding of Alien Vision)" -> ...I'm baffled nobody has mentioned this so far. This means that you can, for example, use Huze's Minimal AV on most servers (just tested it). How awesome is that?
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some issues I noticed:

- New collision detection: Seems good overall, but as a Skulk, you can easily get stuck under hives now. Also, running/walljumping in a Skulk pack seems to suffer more from team collisions.

- Bug: the game froze in pre-game as Marine after changing the quick swap keybind to MouseButton2, then hitting "Apply". No crash, ambient sound kept playing, but everything else froze hung until I closed the game from task manager.

- Enzyme/Storm merge: the commander description needs to be adapted (only mentions attack speed).

- Drifter hallucinations always turn east when idle; not sure about other lifeforms (tested in sandbox).
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    yes i know marine jumping overall got nerfed in previous patch or 259 whenever that was, but that did only adress marines movement while strafing and jumping distance. Bouncing was still working the entire time, until overnight...when every floor now feels like GLUE when you land.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Twig wrote: »
    when do you think we will get better support for eyefinity/multi-screen setups?

Hopefully never, as it would give you quite an edge over most other players.

I currently have it set up and believe me, it gives very little advantage, just feels more immersive.

the main thing that i want is the hud to be on the center screen, i hate looking left and right to see my health and energy

I take it the dislikes came from people with the setup. Be honest though, you really don't think having two screens worth of extra unobstructed vision doesn't give an edge?
    I can think of several things just of the top of my head:
    The ability to see things coming from the side like silence skulks.
    Easily keeping track of a dodging marines and aliens.
    Additional awareness allowing for better navigation in fights (less getting stuck on things when trying to dodge).
    Id say that its a massive advantage, especially to a good player that can make good use of this. In a game like NS2 where a split second often decides the outcome of a fight, a moment of hesitation can decide who comes out on top. These kinds of toys are more than fine for enhancing the single player experience and boosting immersion, but I'm not too keen on them in a multiplayer competitive game unless you manage to reasonably emulate the effect for regular users to even the playing field.

I see what you are saying, and it would be an advantage if it didn't reduce me to 10 FPS when not in combat, in combat I get reduced to 3-5 fps. this is from 70-90 fps on a single screen.

Now I do understand a reduction in framerate, however this is quite substantial compared to most other games that I play.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why do you use it if you get such crippling performance.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Quite like the vortex change in regards to the energy gain, but I would like to see the momentum you have maintained when you teleport.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Why do you use it if you get such crippling performance.

I don't anymore, I want to be able to use them without such "crippling performance"
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Update broke using mic as a commander. I feel this is a fairly large oversight
    edited December 2013

it should be the alt key, you will need to rebind it

EDIT: they changed it around so that you can use different binds for commanding
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold

it should be the alt key, you will need to rebind it

EDIT: they changed it around so that you can use different binds for commanding

Oh well thats wonderfully counter intuitive
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's a bug, it should have inherited your existing keys but didn't.
  • COLSWEETOCOLSWEETO Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183349Members
    Why did you make the commander microphone key different by default? Thanks for a ruined game, UWE!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    lol soccerguy243 is on a disagree rampage! :P i bet if i write this is thebest game of 2013 he will still disagree
  • COLSWEETOCOLSWEETO Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183349Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Set it the same?
    Yeah sure, after the game is already lost. That was fun