Build 261 now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Fixed being able to increase shotgun rate of fire when tapping primary attack in the right moment
    - Wish I'd known about this sooner! :P

Removed carapace heal penalty
    - Sweet!

Slightly reduced jetpack fuel replenish rate (It now takes 0.6 seconds longer to fully restore the fuel tank)

- Never a concern for me but I know some people who will be pleased with this :)

Vortex ability now returns energy cost when consumed

- That's more like it!

Increased enzyme cloud and mucous membrane cost to 2 (up from 1)

- Made sense, always felt like these were ridiculously cheap and spammable before

Merged enzyme with storm
    Enzyme requires now a shift hive

- What the... OK, makes sense I suppose, at least now we wont have possibility of early mucous+enzyme, and enzyme will be MUCH more useful in fights now. Can't wait to test this out!

Drifters turn rate increased slightly

- 8)

Added Chuckle and Request Weld console binds, to allow binding to a key. Type “chuckle” or “requestweld” in console to perform the action.

- THANKYOU

Added minimal HUD option.

- Plus comme standard HUD option o___o

Damage effect decals are now precached (Mitigates hitching during first encounters)
    Added precaching for a few files causing big hitches when joining a team

- Very good, very good

Never allow step moves onto other players
    - I dont know what this means but if this means we can't jump on our friends' heads plz remove

Made Gorge Tunnels easier to place in areas with suboptimal pathing information
    - Thank god. No, thank UWE :)

Changed Prototype Lab minimap icon to use an unused placeholder icon (was using the Extractor icon)

- Well, it's about time.

Destroying a sentry battery now uses a different sound than destroying a power node

- ITS ABOUT TIME
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Twig wrote: »
    when do you think we will get better support for eyefinity/multi-screen setups?

Hopefully never, as it would give you quite an edge over most other players.

I currently have it set up and believe me, it gives very little advantage, just feels more immersive.

the main thing that i want is the hud to be on the center screen, i hate looking left and right to see my health and energy

2u9r98p.jpg
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    also it is laggy as hell (which is to be expected)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    xen32 wrote: »
    Freeker wrote: »
    Merged enzyme with storm

Like that. I already see the "shift or crag 1st?" topic coming back.
    Now, make the hallucination useful and i'll have a real choice to make at the beginning of a round ^^.
    Hallucinations are currently 1 at a time. I'd like to see them at least 1 per drifter, or even better - 1 per entity (so you can hallucinate whole team, hive, and few harvesters at the same time). Even better if you could hallucinate any structure you have, not only harvester and hive.

Unless something has changed in this patch, this is wrong. Hallucination is an AoE ability and you can normally get 2-3 aliens per use of it if they are close to each other.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Desther wrote: »
    Merged enzyme with storm

Now, make the hallucination useful and i'll have a real choice to make at the beginning of a round ^^.
    Hallucinations are currently 1 at a time. I'd like to see them at least 1 per drifter, or even better - 1 per entity (so you can hallucinate whole team, hive, and few harvesters at the same time). Even better if you could hallucinate any structure you have, not only harvester and hive.

Unless something has changed in this patch, this is wrong. Hallucination is an AoE ability and you can normally get 2-3 aliens per use of it if they are close to each other.

Both wrong, it creates a hallucination clone of all the aliens around where you chose to hallucinate. So if you do it near 2 skulks, you get 2 hallucinated skulks. If you do it near one skulk and a lerk you get one skulk and a lerk hallucinations.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    If you are making measurable progress in the performance sector like e.g. map loading times, I'd like to see a rough estimate in future changelogs.
    Like AMD or Nvidia do when they release an updated driver declaring that Generic Shooter X is now running with up to 20% more FPS.

REALLY would like to see such an estimate for map loading times.
    Put the game on my SSD, so I'm already among the fastest back after a map change, but I'm interested in HDD users' experience.

PS: Thanks @SamusDroid!
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    *Spectators can now toggle with F (flashlight) outlining players on their team*

Is there a reason why this is only working in the from above and third person spectator modes, but not the first person mode?
    In my opinion that is the mode where this brings the most advantages (like catching wallhackers, see the free Eiss thread...).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Anzestral wrote: »
    *Spectators can now toggle with F (flashlight) outlining players on their team*

Is there a reason why this is only working in the from above and third person spectator modes, but not the first person mode?
    In my opinion that is the mode where this brings the most advantages (like catching wallhackers, see the free Eiss thread...).

forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133366/x-ray-for-spectator-mode#latest
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I read this in the changelog list
    Fixes
    Simplified rifle logic, possibly fixing some instances of weapon jams. (More testing required)
    I suddenly had to think of another space marine game.
    Make the weapon jam one sixth of the time and it is a feature! Also make sure to let the player know his weapon is jammed with a sentence like
    "My bolter rifle has failed me!"

Profit!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »
    Merged enzyme with storm

Both wrong, it creates a hallucination clone of all the aliens around where you chose to hallucinate. So if you do it near 2 skulks, you get 2 hallucinated skulks. If you do it near one skulk and a lerk you get one skulk and a lerk hallucinations.

I see how I failed at explaining the situation, what I meant was: only 1 cast is allowed, next one destroys all previous hallucinations. Say, if there is a gorge and a skulk near techpoint, you can hallucinate hive, gorge, skulk and drifter in 1 cast. But if you want hallucinations somewhere else as well, you'll have to chose where you want em the most - here or there. You can do enzystorm and mucous all over the map at the same time, if you are korean enough, but only one hallucination cast is active at a time.
    My dream is to make more hallucinations possible at the same time + allow movable structures to be hallucinated as well. Like it was before, only at current prices of 1 res per cast for everything in the area (as opposed to 15 res fake hive with 500hp in 249). Keep in mind that hallucinations are cleared with 1 scan. Improved hallucinations, combined with other abilities (bone wall, cystplosion, echo) could turn khamm into some kind of horror movie director for marines. After all, shade tooltip says 'Path of confusion and deception".
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, I was talking about how the balance changes would play out in pubs, not in competitive. I see it having little effect there, although maybe Shift gets some more love now.

Yeah, stormzyne on Shift hive only is gonna be great in pubs. >:P /sarcasm off. There's always been a huge "Shift is the only true hive thou shall not have other hives" -following on pubs, and now they've got even more going for them. Oh well, just one more thing to argue about... [-(

Edit: Awesome patch overall tho. :bz
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2013
    I do think that enzyme should cost 2 res, but this is what I dislike about the drifter situation:

(Potentially) Less viable shift/crag/shade hive orders existing. I really dunno about comp scenes preferences, but I think they may end up being swayed a bit towards shift hive more now mucous membrane is also nerfed and enzyme is no longer available on crag.

Storm was useful just by itself on a drifter now that the turn speed has been nerfed (and that storm also increased drifter turn speed). It was worth the res on 1 res. But potentially more worth the risk not to use it on 2 res, especially on pubs when even if it survives chances are you won't be able to find a gorge to heal it in a timely manner.

I guess the key word here is "potentially" though. So lets see how it plays out first.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might I finally request the readdition of rifle and shot lighting when shooting?

For some reason your gun does not spawn a light from the muzzleflash when firing... even though in older editions of the game it totally did.

Perhaps make it optional effect for those that do not care? IDK, just a suggestion... I would like to see it for atmospheric purposes (would make fighting in the dark that much more logical).
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    great marines comes to a DEAD STOP After jumping on the most tilted areas in the map...
    No acceleration, no avoiding onoses and no dodging bites jumping around stairs any more.

marines = useless now
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are we just going to ignore the official teleport entity. Just saying that there's a giant purple phasegate in one of the eclipse screens. Coincidence? I think not
    RadimaX wrote: »
    great marines comes to a DEAD STOP After jumping on the most tilted areas in the map...
    No acceleration, no avoiding onoses and no dodging bites jumping around stairs any more.

marines = useless now

What the hell are you talking about.
    the BOUNCING OFF TILTED AREAS, you gain speed/acceleration if you land on tilted stairs, if you jump now on ANYTHING you stop, i have some recording from the past if i can find so you will understand
  • ElricoElrico Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189769Members
    I don't know if it had been quote but when marines respawn they can get stuck if the first one don't move from the IP. It happened twice this morning. Another thing is the fact that drifters can't go from platforme to fall in biodome without being stuck (in bamboo pass). And drifters still can't use escalator on derpartures (Docking).

The 261 patch is good aside of that.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are we just going to ignore the official teleport entity. Just saying that there's a giant purple phasegate in one of the eclipse screens. Coincidence? I think not

I noticed it, believe me :D
    RadimaX wrote: »
    the BOUNCING OFF TILTED AREAS, you gain speed/acceleration if you land on tilted stairs, if you jump now on ANYTHING you stop, i have some recording from the past if i can find so you will understand

I know about this, pretty sure it was a bug, also not sure why it wouldn't still exist. Player to world physics weren't modified in any way.
    Well i already rendered the clip might aswell show for other that cannot spot the difference in 261:

i believe there was Newton's Law Of Inertia, so if you jump in full speed out of train you should not land at a dead stop right? The same would apply to a marine jumping down flight of stairs at full speed.
    as you can se jumping in 261 is just fail. surely they could reduce marine jumps or make it take some adrenaline for a temporary moment after cuple jumps, but the staaaaaaaair...why the S T A I R S?!
    its not like you gonna end up fighting 7 lifeforms solidly on stairs so why this gigantic nerf on marines all of a sudden? becouse driftor now have to turn around?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    You can dodge and jump just fine but expecting to jump down a staircase to gain speed then being allowed to maintain the speed if you jump again wasn't good for game play. Sure it was fun to do as marines but fighting marines as aliens it isn't fun getting juked by a marine moving faster then a skulk lol.

I'm surprised you are saying this now though. This was severely nerfed a build or 2 ago. You used to be able to jump from data to atrium or from north tunnels to south tunnels. Previously (pre 260 or 259) you could link series of jumps all over the place, it was fun to goof around with on marines. I guess your saying it was nerfed again?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Yes @RadimaX, you're a bit late with this. This is by design.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hamlet wrote: »
    If you are making measurable progress in the performance sector like e.g. map loading times, I'd like to see a rough estimate in future changelogs.
    Like AMD or Nvidia do when they release an updated driver declaring that Generic Shooter X is now running with up to 20% more FPS.

REALLY would like to see such an estimate for map loading times.
    Put the game on my SSD, so I'm already among the fastest back after a map change, but I'm interested in HDD users' experience.

PS: Thanks @SamusDroid!

It's I possible for me to give you numbers on how much faster you will load the game, or numbers of how many less hitches you get.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Definitely making up for the Alien nerfing of 260! Bravo.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited December 2013
    when do you think we will get better support for eyefinity/multi-screen setups?

Hopefully never, as it would give you quite an edge over most other players.

I currently have it set up and believe me, it gives very little advantage, just feels more immersive.

the main thing that i want is the hud to be on the center screen, i hate looking left and right to see my health and energy

I take it the dislikes came from people with the setup. Be honest though, you really don't think having two screens worth of extra unobstructed vision doesn't give an edge?
    I can think of several things just of the top of my head:
    The ability to see things coming from the side like silence skulks.
    Easily keeping track of a dodging marines and aliens.
    Additional awareness allowing for better navigation in fights (less getting stuck on things when trying to dodge).
    Id say that its a massive advantage, especially to a good player that can make good use of this. In a game like NS2 where a split second often decides the outcome of a fight, a moment of hesitation can decide who comes out on top. These kinds of toys are more than fine for enhancing the single player experience and boosting immersion, but I'm not too keen on them in a multiplayer competitive game unless you manage to reasonably emulate the effect for regular users to even the playing field.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Fixed grass clipping into a tree in the main menu

THANK YOU!
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited December 2013
    Husar wrote: »
    When I read this in the changelog list
    Fixes
    Simplified rifle logic, possibly fixing some instances of weapon jams. (More testing required)
    I suddenly had to think of another space marine game.
    Make the weapon jam one sixth of the time and it is a feature! Also make sure to let the player know his weapon is jammed with a sentence like
    "My bolter rifle has failed me!"

Profit!

Your rifle is jammed, please buy the gun unjam DLC for only $9.99!